996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Internal Muffler Hack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:40 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
Internal Muffler Hack

Okay all, I have searched in here, Rennlist and Renntech for various muffler hack versions. Most that I have seen use new tubing to connect either the muffler "box" to the outlet, or the inlet directly to the outlet, or both. My question is has anyone cut open the side of the box and modified the internal cavity any? One of the negatives of the stock mufflers is their weight. So if you do a little cutting and remove some of the internal you might "very slightly" reduce it instead of adding more with more tubing. I was thinking of either sending my stock units to FisterD for his Stage II mod or just trying it myself since I have a MIG welder. However, finding the right tubing in stainless steel is a little challenge even though some have posted good resources for them. Guess my point is for virtually no investment I can modify the internals and should achieve similar results to the "hacked" mufflers.

Anyone done this?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned
oops is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
Okay all, I have searched in here, Rennlist and Renntech for various muffler hack versions. Most that I have seen use new tubing to connect either the muffler "box" to the outlet, or the inlet directly to the outlet, or both. My question is has anyone cut open the side of the box and modified the internal cavity any? One of the negatives of the stock mufflers is their weight. So if you do a little cutting and remove some of the internal you might "very slightly" reduce it instead of adding more with more tubing. I was thinking of either sending my stock units to FisterD for his Stage II mod or just trying it myself since I have a MIG welder. However, finding the right tubing in stainless steel is a little challenge even though some have posted good resources for them. Guess my point is for virtually no investment I can modify the internals and should achieve similar results to the "hacked" mufflers.

Anyone done this?

Just let Fister take care of it. I did and it sounds perfect (stage 1). His work is superior and you will not be disappointed.
It's a Porsche now...............

Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
djhill is on a distinguished road
1+ on Dfister!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
EB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
.....good resources for them. Guess my point is for virtually no investment I can modify the internals and should achieve similar results to the "hacked" mufflers.

Anyone done this?
i have already been thinking about more hacks like this since i have had such great luck so far.. hehehe (im gonna hack away until i go deaf or break something probably)

i was thinking about welding in a restrictor plate to prevent less from going inside the can and more out the bypass. i have such great sound now, i would hate to take it one step too far and have to try and reverse it. if you decide to hack away at em, posted pix and results would be great!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
which is stage one.... like the PSE or the one from inlet to outlet?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I just took mine to my local muffler shop.......and approx 30 min and $50.00 later, they were done.

Didn't open them up, just added the pipe like the stock PSE mufflers have.

There is not much involved if you can weld.

But I say go for it..........tear those suckers open and gut them!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
chsu74 is on a distinguished road
Post pics of the internals for us curious minds.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
i have a spare set of 997 cans that i think im gonna just gut out.... or at least remove some baffling.....

i still have to fit them to my car as well...so its a little more involved for me...

Rod

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
here is a 993tt muffler I gutted. I imagine the 996 muffler would be similar in construction

Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 AM
FisterD will become famous soon enoughFisterD will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by eclou
here is a 993tt muffler I gutted. I imagine the 996 muffler would be similar in construction
No, the 996/997 cans are a lot different. Pressed together can with a different design. It is possible to cut them open, but tig welding them back together will take some time (to do it right) the material is thin. The reason I don't do that is cost. It would send the cost of my mods up quite a bit.

Attached Images  

Last edited by FisterD; 01-17-2009 at 11:39 AM.