996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Raby engine v. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
Raby engine v. Supercharger

Did a little searching and haven't found what I want so here goes. I have a 2000 996 C2 Tip. First car I have ever kept more than 1 year. Been doing most of my own maintenance and little mods. Bug is getting me though for a little more power. I would like a Turbo but the price on even a used one is huge for me. My car has 110k miles on it and runs quite well. I was thinking of a supercharger mod but I don't think anyone makes one for a Tiptronic and it may be too much power for the transmission. Since I dont run up at 5000 RPMs much I thought more low end torque would be best. To me that usually means higher displacment or a roots type supercharger. For higher displacement I start to wonder about engine conversions (don't apeal to me for the not so plug and play issues). I come across Jake Raby's engine upgrades for a new engine. I know my engine may last a lot longer (I baby with regular oil changes and other maintenance) or could blow tomorrow. This car is my daily driver by the way and only car. So I don't know how much a complete engine would be from him but it seems he has some upgrades for the 3.4 that might provide reasonable increase in low end torque. According to Jake, also better reliability. Anyone got hands on experience with his M96 engines?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
info on Jake?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
get a turbo

Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Teuton is on a distinguished road
Jake Raby and L & N Engineering have developed some intriguing solutions for the M96 motor weak spots. There are numerous posts on another forum about his work. It looks like a promising option if your motor goes boom instead of just putting a stock reman motor. Price is a bit steep though.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM
rbt
rbt has a spectacular aura aboutrbt has a spectacular aura about
VF-Engineering supercharger works on Tip cars.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Doc_Porsche will become famous soon enoughDoc_Porsche will become famous soon enough
the TPC doesn't????

Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 AM
rbt
rbt has a spectacular aura aboutrbt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Doc_Porsche
the TPC doesn't????
I think it does, but I haven't confirmed it.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
I realize that I am in the minority on this board (flame suit on!) but adding forced induction to a M96 motor with 11/1 compression ratio, lightweight cast pistons, powdered metal rods and crank, and pump gas just seems like a little bit of madness. This creates a very narrow tuning window between getting good power and scattering engine parts all over the road. Not my first choice.

Jake Raby has been the gold standard with the 914 crowd for some time. I like his ideas for the M96 and I believe they will come together over time but so far they are new and relatively untested. I would choose this route over forced induction.

Suggestions to get more out of your car:
1. Get in more track days. I always rediscover my car when pushing the limits of traction around a closed course. On a good day I can still run with the big dogs and that is very satisfying.
2. More displacement.
3. Trade it for a nice GT3

Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Jake Raby is on a distinguished road
OK... Here I am! I'll have to watch what I divulge since I am not a paid advertiser on this wonderful forum, but I can certainly answer the questions that you may have concerning my engine program.

I'll lead into this reply by stating that there is a new Supercharger kit in the works and I am assisting with it's development. It is like nothing currently offered and certainly will provide a solution to many of the age old issues related to supercharging these engines. I am not the designer of the kit but will be bringing the arrangement together and developing it as well as the complimentary engine components to optimize it.

That said, though my engine program may seem relatively new for the M96 I have been working on this for 4.5 years thus far, mostly behind closed doors.

As i stated above, I am a newbie here so I have to watch what I say to keep from having my wrist slapped for offering up commercial content. If you have any direct questions for me I'd be happy to address them here or via email.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-20-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: may not self promote as a registered user
Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rbt
I think it does, but I haven't confirmed it.
Yes it does. Seen it on a few Tip cars and the aftercooler can connect to the existing front rad instead of having to buy the GT3 setup.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
I realize that I am in the minority on this board (flame suit on!) but adding forced induction to a M96 motor with 11/1 compression ratio, lightweight cast pistons, powdered metal rods and crank, and pump gas just seems like a little bit of madness. This creates a very narrow tuning window between getting good power and scattering engine parts all over the road. Not my first choice.

Jake Raby has been the gold standard with the 914 crowd for some time. I like his ideas for the M96 and I believe they will come together over time but so far they are new and relatively untested. I would choose this route over forced induction.

Suggestions to get more out of your car:
1. Get in more track days. I always rediscover my car when pushing the limits of traction around a closed course. On a good day I can still run with the big dogs and that is very satisfying.
2. More displacement.
3. Trade it for a nice GT3

You should educate yourself about forced induction and what it really means to an engine. I think you'll find that it's not the scary, just wait 'til your engine grenades kind of mod that the inexperienced talk about. You can install FI on a 12:1 compression engine just as safely as a 9:1 engine. It's all about degrees and the effective compression ratio. Two identical engines with one having a static compression ratio of 9:1 and the other 11:1 will still have the same limit in the effective compression ratio they can handle.

There are pros and cons to both low commpression/high boost and high compression/low boost engines.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 PM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
Well thanks for the replys. I understand some of the issues with supercharging. I have heard many times that there is a limit compression ration you can typically use for turbo or supercharging. I assume the aftermarket superchargers have taken this into account.

Well Jake I am looking for some dyno data I guess. Many users of superchargers and mufflers have posted here but I can't seem to find one for your engines. My use would be a daily driver and I rarely run the engine past 5000 rpm. With your engine I would have a new engine with some power improvement. A supercharger would put me with more power but on a used engine. Also, I live in hot north Texas and at some stoplights my temp gauge creeps up. Wonder what supercharging would do for me then?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
A good way to look at what you get from boosting your engine is the effective increase in the size of the engine. For instance, if you had a 3.6 liter engine and boosted it by 7.5 psi, you effectively have a 5.4 liter engine under the hood. ( or lid, in the case of a 911)

Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You should educate yourself about forced induction and what it really means to an engine. I think you'll find that it's not the scary, just wait 'til your engine grenades kind of mod that the inexperienced talk about. You can install FI on a 12:1 compression engine just as safely as a 9:1 engine. It's all about degrees and the effective compression ratio. Two identical engines with one having a static compression ratio of 9:1 and the other 11:1 will still have the same limit in the effective compression ratio they can handle.

There are pros and cons to both low commpression/high boost and high compression/low boost engines.
I appreciate your suggestions. Been around FI for a long time though. Most of my experience was with turbocharged aircraft motors but some automotive as well on Ford, Chevy and Toyota. We always built the motor from the ground up to run FI. Billet cranks and rods, low comp forged pistons, some burning 50% methanol fuel. Reliability has always been a big part of our efforts.

Of the bolt on FI for M96 motors, about 70% of the ones I have observed failed in the first year. Broken pistons, thrown rods, D chunk cylinder failures, cracked heads. I am sure others have had better success but I can only account for the ones I have seen first hand. Not my first choice as a power adder to a stock motor.

It is interesting to see others efforts in this area. Hopefully we can all still learn a few new tricks.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
I appreciate your suggestions. Been around FI for a long time though. Most of my experience was with turbocharged aircraft motors but some automotive as well on Ford, Chevy and Toyota. We always built the motor from the ground up to run FI. Billet cranks and rods, low comp forged pistons, some burning 50% methanol fuel. Reliability has always been a big part of our efforts.

Of the bolt on FI for M96 motors, about 70% of the ones I have observed failed in the first year. Broken pistons, thrown rods, D chunk cylinder failures, cracked heads. I am sure others have had better success but I can only account for the ones I have seen first hand. Not my first choice as a power adder to a stock motor.

It is interesting to see others efforts in this area. Hopefully we can all still learn a few new tricks.

Your false claims are funny. So, you have first hand knowledge of at least 7 M96 engines that had a bolt on supercharger system that have blown the engine? Too funny.

I know of NO M96 engine that have failed running with a bolt on charger. As a matter of fact, none of the manufacturers of the systems available have heard of any either.

I won't even bother to ask you foir supporting data, since it is all in your imagination.

FYI, there are probably no M96 engines running a higher effective compression ratio than my 99. 40,000+ miles on the charger and almost 70,000 on the engine. Still trying to break something, but no luck so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Raby engine v. Supercharger