996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

FREE Orange Cap Mod Sounds Awesome!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 AM
chumpulump is on a distinguished road
FREE Orange Cap Mod Sounds Awesome!

I've got the GHL Loud Exhaust, and I just did the orange cap mod two days ago.

My impression....It's awesome!

I felt like the GHL Loud sounds a little ricy sometimes... Around 6000+ RPM it would be loud, but almost sounds like a tearing or ripping sound. Now, the car feels like it sounds a little deeper, and definitely a lot "cleaner". The revving sound is a lot smoother without any roughness around the edges.

My parents were really critical of my exhaust, but they claim it sounds a lot better now.

I am definitely keeping it on!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
IF YOU AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH THE ORANGE CAP "MOD"
=--=-=-=-=-=-=

It's a mod that takes less than five minutes, and it's free!

See instructions here:
http://www.smiley.net/orangecap.htm

Old 11-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
The Orange Cap mod is the best for the buck....since it's free!

Old 11-04-2004, 12:25 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I don't know, will it alter the MAF. I just took off my 200$ fabspeed airbox kit due to that worry.
I might put it back on when the DE season starts around here.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
the orange cap or fabspeed shouldn't affect your MAF sensor.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:50 PM
xx911carreraxx is on a distinguished road
where do i get a orange cap!?!?! and does it block the airflow? cant exactly see what its doing by the instalation pictures...

Old 11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
chumpulump is on a distinguished road
You can get the cap for free by requesting a sample from http://www.niagaraplastics.com/

The part number is 273-1P

There is a complete discussion of this mod at:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...hlight=niagara

Old 11-04-2004, 04:17 PM
xx911carreraxx is on a distinguished road
thanks! Does anyone know what a difference it is on the PSE?

Old 11-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
How would that work in conjunction with my exhaust, anyone know?

Old 11-04-2004, 10:28 PM
C.Plavan will become famous soon enough
I did that mod with my PSE. It was worthless. With a stock exhaust you get some sound under full throttle. With a PSE or similar exhaust you will not hear anything over the sound of the exhaust. I tried it with both my exhausts..... I really surprised you think you hear something different. Blocking that little intake muffler would not cause a difference in sound with your muffler (especially loud ones). Only full throttle intake noise is changed.

Stock exhaust do it
PSE exhaust forgettaboutit.

Last edited by C.Plavan; 11-04-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Robyn I think my orange cap is still with my parts at Akkurat, lets try is next time if we can find it.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:02 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Itzkirb
Robyn I think my orange cap is still with my parts at Akkurat, lets try is next time if we can find it.
Oh, I found your orange cap at Akkurat the other day and took it home. I'm using it as a drain stop in my kitchen sink. Works really well. Should I bring it back?

Does it apply to a TT too?

Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
When I had the Fabspeed kit it was a little louder, even with my GHL's.
When you put in the FS airkit, you remove the screen in front of the MAF. If that falters, the dealer will surely blame the aftermarket airkit, I think?
Don't get me wrong, I liked it, just worried about warranty issues as I am approaching 30k svc this spring.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by xx911carreraxx
thanks! Does anyone know what a difference it is on the PSE?
I tried it in my car with PSE last year, and took it out after a few days. I couldn't hear a difference during acceleration (since the PSE sound is so pronounced). With PSE you get a nice gurgle on deceleration, and with the plug in, that went away, so I took the plug out.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:16 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
$80Kcar + $0.10 cap = trouble.
The 3.4 and 3 .6 airboxes already flow more air than the engine can use, there is no power to be found...unless you can deliver cold air straight to the intake as the 996 Cup cars. And don't take out the screens in front of the MAF, they are there to control the flow of air as it reaches the MAF, Porsche has it there for a reason.
"If it's good it ain't cheap, if it's cheap it ain't good"...Joe Lightfoot circa 1980

Last edited by TT Gasman; 11-05-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by DJ996
$80Kcar + $0.10 cap = trouble.
The 3.4 and 3 .6 airboxes already flow more air than the engine can use, there is no power to be found...unless you can deliver cold air straight to the intake as the 996 Cup cars. And don't take out the screens in front of the MAF, they are there to control the flow of air as it reaches the MAF, Porsche has it there for a reason.
"If it's good it ain't cheap, if it's cheap it ain't good"...Joe Lightfoot circa 1980
Roger that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FREE Orange Cap Mod Sounds Awesome!