996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

battery question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
battery question

I have a 2004 porsche 911 C4S

battery issue?

got me a couple of slow turn overs and miss starts, key off and back on ...

cool mornings and original battery leads me to think its a battery.

A. Should I run to the dealership?
B. Just drop by my local auto store and Plop one in?

any advice?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
Did you check your battery fluid level yet? If it's low refilling with destilled water can help prolong your battery's life.

When mine completely failed, I ordered a new one from automotion and got the acid from a local store. Saved a ton from what the dealership would have charged me.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I put in a Braille lightweight and have had no problems. If your battery is 5-6 years old, I'd just change it out and be done with it.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
John L is on a distinguished road
sears international die hard

Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
You can get a Bosch replacment at PepBoys for about $125.00. Don't go to the dealer is will be 2-3 times as much.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:26 PM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
Thanks for info.
Up date .... stealership said ... bring it in for a new one, wont be much, just your arm and leg.

I checked the water level like Altaran said.

it was DRY.

filled it up and so far so good.

Saved me a bunch of buck-o's

Old 10-26-2009, 08:41 AM
DeweyC4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mathism
I put in a Braille lightweight and have had no problems
Which model did you go with? Do you DD or keep it on a maintainer and use for weekends?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM
its turning a bit cold down here in Houston, my 996 gave me another slow crankn, no start scare...

It looks like the low water bought me some time ... but the battery is the original. 5 year old battery is very good in my book.

Question:

1. Vent tube?
Can I run down to Auto Zone / ORallys for a replacement?
I noticed the original has a vent tube or a drain / over flow tube that runs to the ground.
(will this replacement battery have the same or is it needed?)

2. Radio code?
When I change out the battery, will I need any codes for the radio and or any other craZy tricks I should know?

Thanks again for any info

Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
dynemd is on a distinguished road
Group size 48 from Autozone (Duralast) or
Group size 47 or 48 from Costco (Kirkland)
or Bosch size 47 or 48 from Pep Boys

All should include vent tube kits

You might consider the 9 volt systems maintainer from Autozone to preserve your battery code.
("settings keeper" $5.99 "NOCO" BTE296)

Last edited by dynemd; 12-01-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
When I changed my battery I did not need a stereo code.

I've heard the stereo needs to be off-power for 24 hours for it to need a code. Not sure about that, but for a battery change you should be fine.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM
996c4s4dailyuse is on a distinguished road
before buying an aftermarket battery check your dealer different 996 might have differ amps and cca ratings depending on your options 5 years old battery i would get a new one!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Wicked 996 will become famous soon enoughWicked 996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mathism
I put in a Braille lightweight and have had no problems. If your battery is 5-6 years old, I'd just change it out and be done with it.
Which battery model did you go with? Did you make your own mount? Sorry less than 15 cant PM yet - boo!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Why keep the factory one or even replace it with a factory one? It's not any better than the ones at autozone or Walmart. The factory one was, I believe a little over 50 lbs. Go to Autozone or walmart and get a 48 series battery. It comes with vent tube and is a direct replacement. It's cheaper at 85-95 bucks and CCA is 700 or 750 which is not much different, if not the same as factory. I think the weight was 35 lbs or so. Worked fine throughout 10 degree weather also. You'll need the radio code though as if the battery is disconected longer than 50 sec?(don't quote me on that), you'll need to put the code in.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
mine had the same symptoms last year...went to local discount place...battery didn't fit correctly and vent tube was wrong...ended up getting one at the dealer...no code problems...glad I did...can't go wrong with porsche original stuff

Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
Try Interstate H7 battery

The Interstate H7 battery looks identical to the stock battery and much
cheaper- Was going to use another model of their size 47 or 48, till i discovered the H7 which is absolutely identical in size to stock battery. check it out. Can't recall what i paid, but our prices in paradise are higher on everything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: battery question