996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Another 996 New Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Funnel will become famous soon enough
Another 996 New Owner

Hello everyone!
New to the Porsche world with a 2001 C2 I just bought this month. It has around 46k kms on it. I am absoultely loving every second I sit inside the vehicle. I am finding excuse to drive the beaty more and more! I used to drive Toyota MR2 for many years, so I know how the engine behind you feels. However, with double the horsepower and double the rear tire width, I am a bit of scared on the road. I just relized that I am truely driving a beast on the road! I guess I will still need few more weeks/months to use to it, then hopefully I will bring the beast to track!

It is a huge jump for me from Toyota MR2 to Porsche 911, I am not only trying to get used of the performence, but also I am trying to get used to the service bill. Since the vehicle has been a garage queen so first thing I've done is to bring the vehicle to shop to change engine oil, transmission oil and brake fluid. The bill comes to more than a grand, not really surprising, but still new to me. My friend told me it's the rule of the thumb, pay to play!

I've been reading the 6speedonline forum even before I made decision on purchasing, and I found that everyone here is very friendly. Really hope I can be part of it.

Cheers,
David

Name:  012807_02.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  照片 064.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  209.9 KB

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Welcome and enjoy your car.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Welcome David. Nice looking car! Hope you enjoy it. I agree, 1K for changing fluids seems a bit high, even for a Porsche. Other threads on 6speed and rennlist have noted names of trusted maintenance shops--search to find them. They would be worth investigating to see if there is a good shop that's a bit more reasonable near you.

I'm sure you're aware that the Porsche engine is heavier and is actually rear-engined (rather than a mid-engined MR2). This will change the handling characteristics over what you're used to as you approach the limit of adhesion. There's a lot that's been written about how to drive the 911's, so search for those threads. But, in short, you were able to reduce power in a turn with the MR2 and mostly only slow. With the engine in the rear, taking your foot off the gas in a fast turn can cause oversteer in your 911 (although, not as much as it used to in the older cars with narrower tires and no driver-assist electronics). You can put yourself in a ditch--or--learn to use a combination of oversteer and throttle steering to have a delight in handling that you haven't had before. But take your time to learn in-slow, fast-out techniques.

Good idea to go to the track. Autocrosses or driver's skills events (if a local club offers them) are good ways to explore your car before you start increasing speed. Just be ready for the accelerated cost of tires. But if you treat the engine/transmission gently, you can go fast and it is so nicely balanced, it will fully support your gofast tendencies.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM
gbennett is on a distinguished road
Welcome! I also am new to the forum and the Porsche world, having just picked up a 2003 C4S this weekend, and I too am a former MR2 owner and modder!

Greg

Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
rrrruben will become famous soon enough
Benvenidos Funnel. I really love the color of your P-car. I just got my first P-car last month; 99 C2 with only 43K on the clock. I have had a special slush fund set aside for my other German work of art. Looks like the M-car is going to have to share these funds with the P-car. And, she's a bit jealous. The original plan was the M-car for daily driving, and the P-car for weekends. The 911 is just too much fun to drive. I have not driven the M-car all month. Enjoy your's, and it's OK to drive your P-car with a big goofy grin on your face.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats and get used to bending over more. I keep the quart sized lube in the car...

Old 09-21-2010, 11:13 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
welcome & congrats on your new ride...car looks clean, be prepare to empty your wallet for mods...

Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Funnel will become famous soon enough
Thanks everyone, I am indeed fell in love with the 911! The acceleration is so smooth and the whole car is so balance. I guess it is not fair to compare the 911 to 20-years-old MR2

There are few things I plan to do as soon as possible.
1. Order the winter tires since I am living in Vancouver, BC, and I am going to drive it in the winter. The temp will be less than 10 C next month. I am going to order them from tire rack, it is way cheaper than buying tires in Canada. From tire rack reviews, it seems the Dunlop SP winter sport 3D will be a good choice?

2. Installing 997 shifter. I've read all about 997 shifter vs B&M short shifter, I personally just like the oem stuff. Now I am just debting on which shifter should I order, either regular 99742401000 or should I get it right at first time to order the oem short shifter 99742498300. My vehicle will mostly street driving, maybe 1 or 2 track or autocross event a year.

3. More mods to come in the future, but for now I would like to play on stock for a little while though..

Any input would be really appraciated!