996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

In the footsteps of giants - VF Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Any updates? You haven't posted for a while and it's been a while since you've been supercharged. How's the car run? Any issues?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Ran great. Got past the 300 mile break-in period... such a painful wait. But, it happened when I was on the way back from Seattle so got to really put my foot into it, was fantastic.

I haven't update on this thread in a while as I am still doing the body upgrades. I'm doing my MBA, doing a major basement reno, and have twin boys. My plan to get it done for this Summer didn't pan out so well.

Will be back on the road next Spring. Doing a full body wrap in matte navy blue metallic, just some odds and ends I want to fix on the car to get it all perfect. Also have a bit of maintenance, just oil change and upgrading to the LNE stainless spin on oil filter, etc.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Thanks for the update...so you haven't even put 500 miles on it yet?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
I've put more on it that that. Would have to look at my log book in the car to see exactly.

I went over the 300 miles back in July of 2011 and I put the car down in October 2011.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
Why a Supercharger and not a Turbocharger?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
The turbo kit wasn't on the market when I had already purchased and installed the supercharger.

Regardless, I still would have gone with the SC. An SC runs off the drive of the motor and therefore has a consistent torque and HP band throughout the RPM ranges, plus the whine sounds wicked. The trade off is there is a load on the engine to spin the rotor to improve the induction to create more power, etc, etc.

Turbo, as you know, runs off the exhaust gases and is impacted by a turbo lag. Yes, some cars are worse than others and some are almost not even there, but regardless lag is a reality of a turbo.

So the trade off is, smooth power but a load on the engine versus no load but you end up with a lag. All preference and opinion based.

As I said, in my case, there was no option to consider at the time. I have no regrets.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I test drove a VF S/C'd '08 C4S today and it was great. Just more usable power, nothing squirrelly or rough. Felt natural. I ordered one this afternoon!

This past spring I tried to have a TPC S/C installed, but because I have a targa it wouldn't fit. Before I bought that S/C I contacted everyone I could find that installed an aftermarket FI unit. Everybody loved their units, no complaints, caveats or warnings, just 100% encouragement to go for it!

Since then I've added iPE valvtronic mufflers, 200 cell cats, racing headers and a IPD plenum. The car is sounding great and after driving a VF S/C today, I'm really looking forward to the HP!

Great to hear you are loving yours! What is the 300 mile break in period?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Well the IPD you will be selling as you won't be using it with a SC.

The 300 mile break-in period is for 300 miles where you do not take the car over 4500 RPM. This is to ensure that everything is installed correctly or you risk excessive damage over 4500 RPM. Imagine a pulley flying off at 8000 RPM or a vibration. It is a long painful 300 miles because it is so tempting to punch it...

Ok I admit, I did it once at about 200 miles when this M3 pulled up with his blonde girlfriend in the car and when the light went green I was being "good" and was taking it easy because I was in the break-in period. He punched it and I could see him and his chick laughing in the mirrors... He wasn't laughing much at the next light. In fact, he didn't even look at me. I didn't much care because the experience was wicked and I was smiling ear to ear because of that. Sounded like this whine of atomic power and awesomeness behind me as I accelerate like Marty McFly in the time machine... Ok, maybe a bit of colorful exaggeration in there...

My car has been off the road for a year now as I was doing body upgrades and enrolled in my MBA. Time = no more. I'll have it on the road next Spring though.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
VF said, I could still use the IPD, but I wonder if the small amount of additional volume throughput matters once a blower is put on. I was surprised that I really noticed the difference when I put it on.

I remember grad school, I was working full time and brewing keg volumes of all grain beer batches and writing articles on brewing for the Boulder club. Something had to give between my job and beer when I started back and I stopped brewing.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Hmmm interesting. Let me know how it works, may be something I'd consider adding, but I don't see how it would do too much with a SC on there.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Been having a lot of inquiries on the VF kit. How is she running 3 years later?
Dan