996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Adding LED DRL's to 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for all of the info and photos. I just ordered them (5 light).

Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I'm thinking of installing the 8 LED Philips DRL but I'd like to ask, from those who have already purchased it, how deep (front-to-back) it is. The PDF instructions on-line say it's only 3/4" thick (height). If it's not too deep I'd like to try cutting out a a shallow section in the "divider" and mounting the DRL in the recess. I think I'd have to make another bracket for stiffness then mount the DRL bracket to that. Any thoughts? I'm retired so I have time to fidget.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
I'm thinking of installing the 8 LED Philips DRL but I'd like to ask, from those who have already purchased it, how deep (front-to-back) it is. The PDF instructions on-line say it's only 3/4" thick (height). If it's not too deep I'd like to try cutting out a a shallow section in the "divider" and mounting the DRL in the recess. I think I'd have to make another bracket for stiffness then mount the DRL bracket to that. Any thoughts? I'm retired so I have time to fidget.
That is a great idea. I thought about doing something similar but didn't want to make a mistake. The lights are a smidge taller than the divider. The divider appears to be about 2 1/8 deep and the lights with the bracket are a little thinner. Not sure how much flex the bumper has in the divider. Would most probably need to be reinforced from behind.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Mgtythor1 is on a distinguished road
which lights

[im on the websige do I know the prosuct number for those leds......QUOTE=DRKNGHT;3473916]Just got my LED's installed and did it under 30 mins. Did not even have to remove the front bumper. It completely updated the look of my car and they are extremely bright. Now, let me tell you I have been known to get into a small lighting project and it take me upwards of 10 hours haha This was a piece of cake. I got mine off iJDMtoy. Pics coming!![/QUOTE]

Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mgtythor1
[im on the websige do I know the prosuct number for those leds......QUOTE=DRKNGHT;3473916]Just got my LED's installed and did it under 30 mins. Did not even have to remove the front bumper. It completely updated the look of my car and they are extremely bright. Now, let me tell you I have been known to get into a small lighting project and it take me upwards of 10 hours haha This was a piece of cake. I got mine off iJDMtoy. Pics coming!!
I think your reply got jumbled. If you were asking which product number to buy, I believe that site only has one DRL set made by Philips (5-led), so look for "Philips".

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM
sirschwag will become famous soon enough
The divider idea would be a nice look if you could fit it in just right. Let us know, I need more uses for my dremel!

As far as the + ignition wire others have asked, I couldn't locate one under the hood, so I tapped into the unused connector under the front center console. You can access it by just taking off one of the lower side carpet panels and reaching behind... mine was just laying there above the airbag sensor. It's a pre-wire for the factory phone option, a plug with 4 wires, the green / brown is ignition wire. I then ran the wire up through the rubber grommet that comes out behind the R of the battery (when facing the battery)..I also tapped into the 12v unswitched using another wire from same connector when I installed the dension iPod interface, it has it's own fuse as well which I liked.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
That is a great idea. I thought about doing something similar but didn't want to make a mistake. The lights are a smidge taller than the divider. The divider appears to be about 2 1/8 deep and the lights with the bracket are a little thinner. Not sure how much flex the bumper has in the divider. Would most probably need to be reinforced from behind.
I ordered the Philip's DRL 8 today and took another look at the divider. It won't look correct because the DRL has a flat front and the divider is rounded. Looks like it's back to the drawing board or it'll get mounted either above or below the divider.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
JW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura about
You guys have the gt3 mk1 front end. I can't get comfortable on a location that doesn't look tacked on,recomendations?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JW996
You guys have the gt3 mk1 front end. I can't get comfortable on a location that doesn't look tacked on,recomendations?
I don't think there are any, especially since the DRL's don't match the curvature of the vent areas.

Plus, I'm sort of a party pooper in all the trends/fads anyways...Carbon Fiber this, LED's that, Matte this, Clear light that, Wrap this, Kevlar that, Widest wheels this, Black rims that, Tint lights this, biggest tires that.....etc...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM
I've got the stock C2 front bumper. I don't want the tacked on look either. Now I'm looking at the small corner headlight section to see if it's possible to add 2-3 bright LED lights inside it with a relay so they dim when the headlights are turned on. I'm trying to keep the car basically stock although I did add wheels and tires.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Plus, I'm sort of a party pooper in all the trends/fads anyways
DRL's are not a fad, they're a safety feature. My 996 is the only car I've had in the last 20 years that didn't have them. Since the car is relatively small and low, I want to add them to be seen by other traffic. Most insurance companies will offer a discount if you have them.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:13 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyovino
DRL's are not a fad, they're a safety feature. My 996 is the only car I've had in the last 20 years that didn't have them. Since the car is relatively small and low, I want to add them to be seen by other traffic. Most insurance companies will offer a discount if you have them.
I've never said DRL's were a fad. What I did say was that LED's in general can be a FAD. Sorry to burst your bubble but DRL's have been around way before LED's came on board.

Also, one can just turn on their headlights to simulate a quasi DRL. Serves the same purpose but without the LED bling effect. Some people like DRL's and some don't. I've purposely disabled mine on a different car because I don't want to be noticed by cops when I'm zipping through traffic.

Just like with Altezza lights, these will play it's course until more cars start coming from the factory with them as the LED's become cheaper and makes more financial sense to include them in the first place by the manufacturers. Of course in the mean time, you will see every car wanting to have them just like the Buick Port Holes that people slap on all sorts of rides...

Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 PM
JW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura about
That gave me an idea, forget the drl's, I'm going to get the buick port holes and mount with 1/4" spacer on back so I can attach my leds underneath. The effect will look like they are floating and not attached. Cool,right? Can't decide on color. Enjoying all the comments.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003

Also, one can just turn on their headlights to simulate a quasi DRL. Serves the same purpose but without the LED bling effect.
1. You have to remember to turn them on.
2. That's a great way to burn a yellow spot into your interior lens.
3. You won't get an insurance discount.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 PM
That gave me an idea, forget the drl's, I'm going to get the buick port holes and mount with 1/4" spacer on back so I can attach my leds underneath. The effect will look like they are floating and not attached. Cool,right? Can't decide on color. Enjoying all the comments.
LOL, yeah and maybe put some carbon fiber stickers inset within the holes while you're at it?

I'm not knocking LED's as they have their purpose and to each their own. It is what makes car customizing fun. But when you see cars like Chevy and Chrysler's trying to retrofit dim LED strips on the front, it then becomes more about being in the "in crowd" and turns to a fad since it's merely about showing off at that point.

I had Angel Eyes on my BMW back in '95 and now you see them on Camaros and such. Some cars look ok with LED"s but some just don't belong. my $.02...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding LED DRL's to 996