996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
JW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura about
Door panel removal?

I want to check and possibly replace door speakers,curious if you simply pull panel from bottom or if there is some hidden fasterner I need to know about,thx?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
There's a step-by-step guide on www.renntech.org.

The most difficult part is pulling the panel without damaging the leather. There are some hidden fasteners behind the door handle, and also one behind the little silver button on the airbag module.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
+1 - there 2 long bolts (torx) under the door grip cover (Pull the cover off by using a plastic pry tool starting at the bottom). One Phillips screw behind the door handle and a small torx behind the little plastic piece labelled Air Bag - that piece just pulls out but you have to be very careful not to leave a mark on the leather door panel. There is a little plastic Phillips screw in the map pocket as well. Remove the plastic cover beside the mirror - pop out the bottom and slide the piece up to remove. Then just pry the panel off starting at the bottom of the door and work your way around. It is easiest to remove the top of the panel with the window down.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
JW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura aboutJW996 has a spectacular aura about
Tang band 5 1/4" speakers were mentioned in an earlier post,but require cutting speaker box. Does anyone know if there is enough space between the door panel speaker cover and the speaker to place a 1/2" spacer to allow for the deeper tang band speaker, so as to not cut out back of speaker enclosure? thx.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I replaced the stock speakers with Infinity Kappa and didn't have to cut anything. There is a good amount of space in the enclosure for a deeper speaker. You could compare the specs on your intended speaker depth versus the Infinity to see if more room would be required, but I didn't have to squeeze them in at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
My car had the Bose option, so I removed the entire Bose speaker assembly and had a custom speaker mount built for the new speaker.

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM
matthewbounds is a jewel in the roughmatthewbounds is a jewel in the roughmatthewbounds is a jewel in the rough
Can the lower carpeted section be removed without taking off the rest of the door panel?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't think so. The panel comes off as a single piece.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I don't think so. The panel comes off as a single piece.
+1 - one piece.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
I don't think you can add 1/2" to the top of the OE speaker box for added depth on the Tang Band subs. One corner of the speaker surround is already pretty close to the door panel grill and you have to delete the OE cage. A subs surround is significantly higher and more pronounced than a regular speaker, like the Infinity. If you hack off a section of the frame, you might gain 1/4". It was so close, I didn't want to go through the hassle of making a spacer, cutting the frame, only to find it didn't fit, when using a hole saw was all of 30 seconds.

Last edited by perryinva; 02-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Leonardo111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good video on how to remove panel:

Old 06-19-2018, 04:48 PM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Leonardo111
Good video on how to remove panel:

https://youtu.be/jePoic11tlw
Leonardo, is this your YouTube channel?

Old 06-19-2018, 11:19 PM
yes it is

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Leonardo111
yes it is
Good work on the videos! Great job,man!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM
thanks man

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door panel removal?