996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Introduction - and some help with part ID

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM
khyber will become famous soon enough
Introduction - and some help with part ID

Hello!

This is my first real post here, so let me introduce myself a little bit . I picked up an Arctic Silver '99 996 C2 a couple months back, and I'd have some pictures for you but I've been a little too busy driving it! I got it about four or five months ago with 61k, I'm just about to crest 80k , so please forgive the lack of car pr0n. The only picture I have is the one that follows this.

Driving yesterday I heard a large cracking sound. This happened as I turned left into a very steep driveway into a gas station at a pretty intense angle. As usual, the rear inside wheel lifted, which is when I heard the snap. Afterwards, my steering wheel is constantly at a 10-15 degree angle to the right while trying to drive straight. If I so much as twitch the steering, spinning the car would be ridiculously easy. I slowly drove it home, and as I was putting my mufflers back on for the gundo hack, this is what I encountered:

I'm aware the sway bar is snapped, as well as the other part... my question to you all, is what is the other snapped part? I obviously need to replace it ASAP, so any quick help would be appreciated but I would prefer to replace it with some type of race oriented part as opposed to going with stock. I didn't have much time to look into it further but if anyone can glean any information from that picture, please do let me know.

-Max

Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
FLi GLi will become famous soon enough
Sorry, I can't help with what the snapped part is.

But, damn, that doesn't look good!

FLi

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM
roadsession is on a distinguished road
it's bleeding.............

Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
Ouch.

Based on that pic and assuming a stock 1999 with standard suspension, you will need at least the following:

sway bar: 99633370125 $128.12
drop link: 99633306904 $47.66
track arm: 99733104504 $158.90 (think you can get aftermarket TRW or rebuilt for $100)
Good wheel balance & inspection + alignment

(above prices from www.porscheoemparts.com)

Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes #13 track arm.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Overall i think you will be ok, not an expensive job. Take it to an independent mechanic & have it done properly.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
MalcolmV is on a distinguished road
Looking at the photo and break point, unless you hit something unknowingly on that side, you have some pretty serious metal fatigue there. I would suggest you have someone with knowledge take a look at the whole suspention system. Last thing you need is another suspention component fail at speed. Could be very expensive not to mention dangerous. Please post your findings.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
+1 to the above.

It's one thing to replace the damaged components from your picture and drive it around, it's another to give the whole system a once over by someone knowledgeable.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
I wonder... it looks like the sway bar broke where the drop link attaches which then forced the swaybar into the track arm... basically acting like a hammer to break the arm maybe?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Just to clear things up, I have no intention of doing everything all on my own, this had just happened before I posted up on the forum. I was hoping I could track down the part and order it so I could bring it straight to my mechanic to have replaced, as I didn't have the time to bring it right then.

Thank you all for the quick replies and help, I'll let you know the results once I get it fixed! Then maybe I'll clean her up and post some pics on the forum finally

-Max

Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM
FLi GLi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Reborn996
I wonder... it looks like the sway bar broke where the drop link attaches which then forced the swaybar into the track arm... basically acting like a hammer to break the arm maybe?
+1

I was thinking the same thing.

FLi

Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
what no one has mentioned is that you have adjustable sway bars and should be running adjustable sway bar links too. If you look at the sway bar in that pic you can see a point where it has been rubbing on the track arm, this indicates that your sway bar link is too short, and adjustable link can be lengthened hence solving the problem. The track arm probably fatigued over time and repeated stress from the sway bar. Additionally the sway bar is steel where as the track arm is aluminium, so it can be fatigued, additionally that part is not designed to take vertical loads but rather it's intended purpose is the horizontal stability it provides.

Change the sway bar and track bars out and get some adjustable links.
hope this helps!

Last edited by Sharp; 03-02-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Sharp
what no one has mentioned is that you have adjustable sway bars and should be running adjustable sway bar links too. If you look at the sway bar in that pic you can see a point where it has been rubbing on the track arm, this indicates that your sway bar link is too short, and adjustable link can be lengthened hence solving the problem. The track arm probably fatigued over time and repeated stress from the sway bar.
hope this helps!
It does in fact look like the sway bar was stressing the track arm, yes... but I can't imagine Eibach would develop a part for use with stock components that would cause such an issue. Those are stock endlinks, and the Eibach bar is meant to be used with them, even if they are not the most efficient part to use with it (adjustables will be on their way shortly). Also, Eibach is replacing the bar under warranty free of charge, so I just want to give a big thumbs up to Eibach! They've been nothing but helpful in this situation.

I believe the theories that the sway bar snapped and caused stress to the track arm which resulted in the snap. Eibach is even beginning to work with me on possibly correcting that issue as well, if we find that the fault lies with the sway bar breaking first and causing the stress.

Picking up the replacement sway bar today from Eibach, and here's to hoping my other parts show up tomorrow so I can get my baby up and running again ASAP! This all happened the day I put my gundo hacked mufflers back on so I can't even enjoy that . Soon!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
good to see that Eibach is standing behind their part! I have the stock GT3 sways and noticed the same contact/rubbing on mine( also with stock links). I'm about to order adjustable links my self, looking at the TRG links as thats what I have up front or possibly the tarret ones, Stay away from agency power tho, first off their rear links are not adjustable and second they have had some of their parts fail too.
I'm tempted to get these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/98-06-Porsche...#ht_500wt_1314
Design looks sound but no experience with them...

Any idea which ones you going to go with?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Introduction - and some help with part ID