996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Noticed a diff option for short shifter???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
pjweb911 is on a distinguished road
Noticed a diff option for short shifter???

I am planning to have a local indy install a B&M short shifter in my 996 targa. I had originally planned to buy the following:

B&M SHORT SHIFTER - 1998+ 911/996 97+ PORSCHE BOXTER FREE SHIPPING ($257.23)
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/bmshorshif19.html

but then noticed this:

B&M 2002-2004 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA SHORT SHIFTER SYSTEM ($75)
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/bm20po911cas.html

Probably an obvious question but what is the difference in the end result? Do I need to buy the first if I am starting with a stock setup? Do I need both?

Thanks all.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
gsieck will become famous soon enough
Two different things. The expensive over replaces the entire shifter. I have it and it works great. The cheaper one modifies the existing shifter. I don't know anything about it.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The first, more expensive one installs in the shifter under the console. The second goes under the car on the side of the transmission.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 PM
west coast is on a distinguished road
The B&M is the same shifter that Porsche uses in their short shift kit, I looked at both also, and went with the B&M, you get what you pay for

Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
Do yourself a favor and get the one from Titan, that attaches to the tranny. B&M made the same kit, I installed it on my '02 C2. I had the real B&M console SSK (still do, removed, already installed in the mechanism, sell it to you for a lot less than the one listed). Hated the notchiness, so after 500 miles, I removed it and put in the 997 shifter. Then installed the B&M tranny version. Takes like 20 minutes to install, easier than the B&M console one, easily adjustable for different throws, no notchiness, or regrets at all.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
inclined is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by perryinva
Do yourself a favor and get the one from Titan, that attaches to the tranny. B&M made the same kit, I installed it on my '02 C2. I had the real B&M console SSK (still do, removed, already installed in the mechanism, sell it to you for a lot less than the one listed). Hated the notchiness, so after 500 miles, I removed it and put in the 997 shifter. Then installed the B&M tranny version. Takes like 20 minutes to install, easier than the B&M console one, easily adjustable for different throws, no notchiness, or regrets at all.
Do you have any pics of the Titan version installed? I can't find any other reviews other than yours and with some gt3 cables, I think that could be a real nice street setup. Maybe machine out some delrin bushings for the factory shifter to go with it.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
scats is on a distinguished road
Here is a link to titans amazon page where they are selling it for $27. I just ordered one.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the link. Picked one up myself

Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
azaytsev has a spectacular aura aboutazaytsev has a spectacular aura about
Does it come with instructions?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Seems like it. I found this which makes it look simple enough... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...xperience.html

Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Ordered the trans mounted one to see if I can use it in conjunction with my 997 SSK to further reduce throws without altering the feel or any other ill effects. Will report back later when I get it installed.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I received my shifter today. Took an hour throwing the car up in the air and installing it. It went very quickly. Only one minor problem was the opening on the bracket was cut too tight to fit in the groove of the cable. Took the bracket off and measured the opening and it was 1.5 mm too narrow to fit the cable back in so I dremeled off the little bit and it fit perfect. I set mine to 30% reduction and used some blue thread locker on all the bolts.

The results: Very positive shifting. The movement feels a little tight but that might be the lithium grease I put on the shift cable ball joints. The shifter has a ratcheting feel but not exhausting to use. I am extremely happy with the results! I also have the gbox detent which has always made going into 2nd a little notchier and has mildly amplified this with the shifter. Best $30 I've spent on the car

Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 AM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
Like I said, far more effective than the shifter SSK, smoother adjustable, easy to install, etc. I only use the 15% reduction and it is enough for me, plus I have a much shorter shift **** than stock. Mine is the actual B&M, but the slot for the cable stop holder on mine was also about 1mm too narrow. Just a few hits with a file and it snicked right in. Also, depending on the car, Porsche (or Getrag) was not too careful about the exact location of the mass disk that is welded to the shifer lever at the tranny, and it may not be in the right place to not reach the new bracket in 2nd, 4th or 6th, so make sure you put it through it's gears before you button it up. Mine hit the bracket with each shift. It was around 2mm too close, so I had to dremel away a shallow curve on the edge of the bracket to provide plenty of clearance. I then also, touched everything up with black Rustoleum afterwards. $30 is a freakin' super bargain, condiering they were listing for $270! I paid $69 for mine. Take any pics while under there?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by perryinva
Also, depending on the car, Porsche (or Getrag) was not too careful about the exact location of the mass disk that is welded to the shifer lever at the tranny, and it may not be in the right place to not reach the new bracket in 2nd, 4th or 6th,
Care to elaborate on the "mass disk"?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Here is a pic:

Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Kris79 is on a distinguished road
alpine003 i just had to sign up and say. your car is super clean nice set up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noticed a diff option for short shifter???