996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

SM_ATL's 2003 Carrera Project

Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
and it's not even xmas yet!!!

AWESOME!!!
Thanks guys and thank you Sid! Yes, Santa s coming early this year!
Maybe I should ask a supercharger to the Easter Bunny??? Right know I am more inclined to keep the engine stock (with a little ECU tweak) and go for a big weight loss! We'll see after this first round of upgrade.

BTW, I added Agency Power's Red Group Race Suspension kit to my list to get full adjustability of the car suspension (read many times that obtaining the exact camber and toe that you want was hart to achieve with the stock geometry and coilovers when you drop the car...).

Last edited by SM_ATL; 11-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
The car is going to be 'on the lift' for the next 2 days for the full makeover... Most of the parts are delivered and a few of them already installed.

Here's a quick teaser: the orange mirrors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8187582755/

Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
The rate you're moving on these mods, it's almost like watching an episode of Overhaulin.

I'm jealous you have such a healthy mod budget.

Man, you boys can't stay away from the 996 love, can you(cough cough, Sid. ). I will admit my 996 was my first so I'll probably be on this forum regardless of what I get in the future.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
The rate you're moving on these mods, it's almost like watching an episode of Overhaulin.

Man, you boys can't stay away from the 996 love, can you(cough cough, Sid. ). I will admit my 996 was my first so I'll probably be on this forum regardless of what I get in the future.
I wanted to get it right from the beginning, knowing that I would end up with all these mods eventually. I am not sure that I'll ever be faster than with my 991S, but this one should be a ton of fun on the track, being a manual with a much stiffer suspension, etc.
I think that a lot of people's lack of appreciation for the 996 is unfair. Ok, you may not like the headlight shape and there were a few initial quirks, but a used 996 is good value for money. Hence why I started from there and am investing more in track mods vs. starting from a 997 for instance.
I may be wrong.. I'll find out at Road Atlanta next week!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM

BTW, I see in your signature that you have installed an IPD plenum. What would be your feedback on this one? Any noticeable improvement? I am not fully convinced about the value for money of this mod, so your input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I wanted to get it right from the beginning, knowing that I would end up with all these mods eventually. I am not sure that I'll ever be faster than with my 991S, but this one should be a ton of fun on the track, being a manual with a much stiffer suspension, etc.
I think that a lot of people's lack of appreciation for the 996 is unfair. Ok, you may not like the headlight shape and there were a few initial quirks, but a used 996 is good value for money. Hence why I started from there and am investing more in track mods vs. starting from a 997 for instance.
I agree, the 996 is the best bang for the buck out there right now offering tremendous value for what you get.

As for the IPD mod, I didn't feel anything spectacular but I did notice a more smoother running engine and if anything a smoother power delivery. I would still recommend it IF and a big IF
- you are gonna use it on a track oriented car and need every last bit of power
- you are gonna use it in conjunction to x-pipe and headers
- you plan on tying everything together at the end with custom tuned ecu
- you can get this used for a discount. I feel the current price point is a bit too much for what you're actually getting.

Have you seen the alternative offered by Pedro's Garage? At a fraction of the price, this does essentially the same thing but is less costly to produce since it is just retrofitting a plate using your existing plenum. I feel this is the better value imo.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoTorque.html

Either way, you'll gain that awesome 25-30hp.

Also I would also recommend Motor mounts, especially on a track car. Your shifts will be better and no more hunting for the gear, you will be able to better control the car before and after the apex and also be able to get on the throttle sooner.

Just installed some DIY ones and definitely one of the best bang for buck mods I feel(on top of the pumpkins. LOL).

Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !

Hahaha it's kinda like women... there are many beauties out there, some are silky smooth and almost too beautiful, but have a sexual monster hidden beneath (991).... others are just an unapologetically, full-on hardcore kink fest (996)!
I can't help it... I love them all!

Kinda reminds me of when I signed with Universal where I actually said "I have now totally prostituted myself.... and feel strangely comfortable with that...."

Yeah the 996 is an under rated 911 to be sure, it's a ton of fun and very rewarding if you know her idiosyncrasies...
It gives a very direct connection to the car, truly like you're part of it.
I'd say the last of the 911's which can still make you feel like your part of the mechanics.
I love rowing the MT in 996 because it's very analog..
I love the PDK in the 991 because it's truly the first gen of digital...
It's awesome you get to have both!!

Looking forward to feedback from your first track day!

BTW Serge I send you a PM on Tuesday about perhaps buying your AP by-pass pipes but I guess ya didn't get it.
I was going to resend but since it didn't go through the first time... Anyway PM me if your interested.

Cheers!
Drop me a line

Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Suspension work underway...

Installation of the new suspension parts is underway: Bilstein PSS10 and Agency Power red group race suspension kit.

Before
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8191430192/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8191430412/
After
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8190347535/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8190347319/

Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Fabspeed Exhaust in place, ECU on its way.

Before and after...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8192661968/

Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !

Before and after...
Ohhhhh shiny!!!
SOUND CLIPS!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Ohhhhh shiny!!!
SOUND CLIPS!!!!!!!!!!
ECU in the mail... won't be here until Monday

Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute

Before and after...
No driving in the hood after 10PM with that sound machine

Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Hahaha it's kinda like women... there are many beauties out there, some are silky smooth and almost too beautiful, but have a sexual monster hidden beneath (991).... others are just an unapologetically, full-on hardcore kink fest (996)!
I can't help it... I love them all!

Kinda reminds me of when I signed with Universal where I actually said "I have now totally prostituted myself.... and feel strangely comfortable with that...."

Cheers!
Drop me a line
Lol, kudos to you for coming up with that kind of analogy. You clearly know what you're talking about.

As for prostituting yourself out, I guess if youre gonna do it, might as well go with the best. Look at what it's gotten you?

I think sm_atl's car might be in the running for one of the fastest modded 996s on here.

So many purdy shiny bits, so when are you gonna polish the oil pan cover?

Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by opnielsen
No driving in the hood after 10PM with that sound machine
That's why I am moving to the hood around the corner in January
Neighbors seem to be a lot more car friendly .I already spotted a GTR and an M3 GTS. No P-car though...

Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM
That's why I am moving to the hood around the corner in January
Neighbors seem to be a lot more car friendly .I already spotted a GTR and an M3 GTS. No P-car though...
Hey I think Porsche will be represented VERY well in the new hood... with 2 generations no less.
Sounds like exciting times... congrats!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.53 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's 2003 Carrera Project