996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

all Targa owners with electric roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
brwiedman will become famous soon enough
all Targa owners with electric roof

I just got a new roof motor for my 2003 Targa. Here is some info. Keep your cables for the roof lubricated. Put one of the two motors in and the roof still did not work. With the strain of only one motor opening the roof the control unit blew a circuit. Now with new motor and new control unit roof opens and closes just fine. These cables will now be lubricated often

Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I lube my tracks, how do you lube the cables?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 AM
MY down fall was to think that the tracks were the only problem. The cables are the issue. Here goes my best explaination... behind the back deck, against the fire wall are the motors. This is all done from inside the car. The trim under the glass hatch is a removable carperted trim. Unclip this trim and this will expose the motors. This is the tricky part that I need to deal with. Because my roof did not open and close properly I had no issue taking the motors out. I knew that I would have to "reset" the motor positions, but now that the roof is operational, I don't know how to access the cables without taking the motors out. The motors, connected to the control unit, are syn. with the control unit. The control unit "counts" the number of times that the motors turn. This allows the motors to stop the roof at the correct place. By removing the motors you will "upset" the control unit count, you will need a computer to reset the system. The only access to the cables is through the holes where the motors are mounted.(I think). To lub the cables I removed both motors and slid the glass roof by hand, this exposed the cables. I could then lub most of the cables as they passed by the motor holes. I haven't checked yet, but there might be a "spot" where I can put the nozzle of a spray can to lub the cables as I get someone to push the roof open and close button. Please answer me back with your comments on this. I wnat to know if I explained it good enough. I can then answer any concerns of yours and maybe you can enlighten me if what I said is correct.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brwiedman
MY down fall was to think that the tracks were the only problem. The cables are the issue. Here goes my best explaination... behind the back deck, against the fire wall are the motors. This is all done from inside the car. The trim under the glass hatch is a removable carperted trim. Unclip this trim and this will expose the motors. This is the tricky part that I need to deal with. Because my roof did not open and close properly I had no issue taking the motors out. I knew that I would have to "reset" the motor positions, but now that the roof is operational, I don't know how to access the cables without taking the motors out. The motors, connected to the control unit, are syn. with the control unit. The control unit "counts" the number of times that the motors turn. This allows the motors to stop the roof at the correct place. By removing the motors you will "upset" the control unit count, you will need a computer to reset the system. The only access to the cables is through the holes where the motors are mounted.(I think). To lub the cables I removed both motors and slid the glass roof by hand, this exposed the cables. I could then lub most of the cables as they passed by the motor holes. I haven't checked yet, but there might be a "spot" where I can put the nozzle of a spray can to lub the cables as I get someone to push the roof open and close button. Please answer me back with your comments on this. I wnat to know if I explained it good enough. I can then answer any concerns of yours and maybe you can enlighten me if what I said is correct.
Wow, this would make a great sticky DIY with some photos! I'm a little nervous digging into it without know what I'll find. How often do you lub the cables? Any chance of posting some photos?

Thank you!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I will get some photos to you. Give me till Monday. Really the job is not hard at all. Just one caution don't pull the motors till we talk!!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Thank you! Maybe if I see the photos, ill jump on it before I send mine out for the supercharger install!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
interesting, I have never lubed any of the components, I would also appreciate any info..... I on the other hand have had issues with the latch for the rear hatch not working properly...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
I would like to post pictures but I can't figure out how to do this. HELP!!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Bill,

Here are the photos that you forwarded to me yesterday. I will compare with the instructions above. Any comments on what we are looking at and what gets lubricated?

Thanks!

Don

Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for putting the pics up. I have no clue how to do this. ANYWAYS.....Targa roof motor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To continue on from my last explaination. When you remove the carpeted panel from under the back window you will see a "white" plastic tube on each side of the car. This is where the window cables go when the top is opened. With the roof closed these tubes are empty. Drill a hole in these, the size of a tube that goes on the spray can of silicon. With someone opening the roof for you, spray the cables through these holes. This is probably the only way to get to the cables without removing one of the motors. DON'T REMOVE THE MOTORS if at all possible, otherwise you "might" end up with a roof that doesn't open and close properly. I removed my motors because I needed to replace one of them. From my understanding, The control unit actually "counts" the motor's revolutions and stops the motors at a predetermined location. There are no micro switches that will stop the roof, just a control unit. (kind of a neat idea). Let me know if this helps. If someone knows any more about this please feel free to correct me.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 AM
LOL! I will have to read this over a coffee this weekend! I'm pulling a Dyno today as abase line before I have the S/C installed.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
You have my email? Send me an email if you want and need to discuss anything.