996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Check Engine Light and my SC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Check Engine Light and my SC

Hey Alex, What can I do about this? Chk Engine light won't turn off? We reset it and it still comes on?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
What is the code?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I forgot, but James and Alex know.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:12 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
only thing you can do is fix the error. I have one that comes on frequently for a bad cat. I just keep resetting it, it's a PITA, but I'm to lazy and cheap to replace the cat

Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey Alex, I reset it this time by disconnecting the battery. Man, it drive so different when the light is off.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Let me scan the code and see what it is and go from there... I need the code number.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:32 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
kirby, sounds like a MAF is fouled if the car drives better when the light is off. When you have a bad MAF it triggers a CEL and the ignition is retarded. O2 sensor on the cat is another possibility, they usually replace the cat for that, a new cat runs about 1286$ just for parts!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by sharkster
Let me scan the code and see what it is and go from there... I need the code number.
okie, I'll wait for the light to come on again and either we can scan it and give you the code or I'll just stop on by.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:36 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
kirby, sounds like a MAF is fouled if the car drives better when the light is off. When you have a bad MAF it triggers a CEL and the ignition is retarded. O2 sensor on the cat is another possibility, they usually replace the cat for that, a new cat runs about 1286$ just for parts!
any check engine light will send you into limp mode. What makes you assume it's a MAF? Cause it's common?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I thought only the MAF had that feedback loop, and it's common.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
I thought only the MAF had that feedback loop, and it's common.
you may be correct, but it's always been my understanding that any CEL will throw the car into a semi-limp mode. Anyone know the answer for sure? I know the MAF is common, but it was my understanding that he had sharky and his mechanic take a look at it and I assume it would of been the first thing for them to check. I may not understand everything correctly though

Old 08-04-2005, 10:19 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I had many a CEL light for faulty O2 sensors my first year of ownership, I never noted any drop in performance. But once I had a CEL go off literally as I was driving thru the gates at the track! The car ran like a dog all day, felt like it had 100 less HP on the straights. Turned out to be a MAF.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:37 PM
wyo996 is on a distinguished road
My CEL is eternally on and off and has been since the SC. If it is the MAF you will know it, by bad idle or just horrible performance. I always get the same codes ranging from 1104 to 1109. I have discussed this with Todd ad nauseum and he thinks it is the altitude. If it is not the MAF the car runs perfectly. If I reset it I will keep it off up to 800m. Now my problem is if reset it takes 50 or so miles for the idle to reset due to the LW flywheel and so it will die after a rapid decelleration. Just part of the price to be paid for performance. Will

Old 08-08-2005, 11:55 AM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by wyo996
My CEL is eternally on and off and has been since the SC. If it is the MAF you will know it, by bad idle or just horrible performance. I always get the same codes ranging from 1104 to 1109. I have discussed this with Todd ad nauseum and he thinks it is the altitude. If it is not the MAF the car runs perfectly. If I reset it I will keep it off up to 800m. Now my problem is if reset it takes 50 or so miles for the idle to reset due to the LW flywheel and so it will die after a rapid decelleration. Just part of the price to be paid for performance. Will
how did you reset it, by unplugging the battery? ya that would wipe out the code but will also wipe out any memory the ecu has accumulated. get yourself an obd2 scanner to clear the codes. the ecu settings would remain in tact.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 will become famous soon enough
Here's my concern. Next year, I wanted to put in the EVO SC. If installed, do I risk tripping the CEL more often? - Will this be a Gremlin that I might not ever cure?

Last edited by my996; 08-08-2005 at 01:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light and my SC