996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed my Fabspeed exhaust this weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
Installed my Fabspeed exhaust this weekend

In a word it is "perfect"

I couldn't be happier. Purchased from EVOMS. Got 10% off because they were having an October sale. Since I already had the sports exhaust tips from the factory I ordered the exhaust without tips.

The install was interesting. I did the drivers side first and it took twice as long as it did for me to do the passenger side. This was my first time underneath a 996. Looking at the layout, it looks like getting rear ended in this car could do some damage to the exhaust, cats and/or headers. Is this true or do they have some kind of protection for that? Oh and the weight difference between the two exhausts is amazing. What do they have in those suitcase sized exhausts? LEAD?!

Anyhow, the car sounds better than I had hoped for. Mellow when you are cruising, but enough sound to remind you that you are driving a Porsche flat 6. I felt it didn't have enough exhaust sound with the oem exhaust.

Everything changes when you get on the go fast pedal and the sounds are intoxicating. I find myself constantly bliping the throttle inside tunnels and under overpasses just to hear it. I hang back in traffic and then floor it to hear it for a second before I catch up. Today was the first time I had a chance to hear it at 7000rpm and I am in heaven.

I know lots of people here are big fans of the PSE, but I can't express how perfect the Fabspeed exhaust matches what I was looking for. IMHO it completes the car.

Last edited by Jenner; 11-04-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:18 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
IMO, The Fabspeed is a great value and the best sound on the market, Joe Fab is also great to deal with.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 AM
citybythebay is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a good purchase!

-the other jenner

Old 11-05-2003, 12:51 PM
hardwaykao is on a distinguished road
hello,
did u ever check the gemballa, techart, ruf exhausts before you get the fabspeed one? i heard the sound of the fabspeed over the internet, very very bad. i don't like it at all. very high pitch. i like something sound like v8 engine or the lower pitch ones. any suggetion? or do u think the sound i hear from the internet doesn't really sound like real one?

Old 11-05-2003, 02:22 PM
safetywork is on a distinguished road
Hardwaykao,

I suggest you attend the local PCA (GGR region or Loma Linda Region) and see if there's someone there with the Fabspeeds. I had mine for 6 months and I really enjoy it. I don't think the sound clips do much justice. But whatever you decide, it should be better then the OEM units and lighter in wieght too.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
You should listen to the fabspeed in person or on a computer with a subwoofer. The exhaust is VERY deep and throaty. Sounds like a big block V8 at times to me. The PSE sounds high pitch in the videos to me when viewed on my same computer system that makes the Fabspeed videos sound deep and bassy(is that even a word?).

I didn't want a high pitch exhaust and with the Fabspeed I didn't get a high pitch exhaust.

Last edited by Jenner; 11-05-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:24 AM
NickS is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the exhaust I want too. I heard it on various websites and wasn't interested in one until I heard one in person. Now I REALLY want one!

Old 11-06-2003, 10:39 AM
AdamB is on a distinguished road
did you actually like it better then the PSE? I have to hear one in person, because from what I've heard on the computer the PSE sounds much more naturally what the 996 should have sounded like.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Sup Nick, Sup Adam...I know you both from AWOT.

Originally posted by NickS
Now I REALLY want one!
Um...what's stopping you Nick!?!?!?

Adam the PSE sound clips sounded too high pitch for me compared to the Fabspeed. Throw in the lower cost and weight of the Fabspeed and I was sold. Having heard the Fabspeed in person I have no regrets on my decision. For the record I have only heard the PSE in person once.

-Jenner

Last edited by Jenner; 11-06-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:25 AM
sentipede is on a distinguished road
Are these acurate?

PSE, Gemballa, Fabspeed, Stock

Old 11-06-2003, 11:36 AM
NickS is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by jenner
Sup Nick, Sup Adam...I know you both from AWOT.

Um...what's stopping you Nick!?!?!?

Adam the PSE sound clips sounded to high pitch for me compared to the Fabspeed. Throw in the lower cost and weight of the Fabspeed and I was sold. Having heard the Fabspeed in person I have no regrets on my decision. For the record I have only heard the PSE in person once.

-Jenner
Hey Jenner...nice to see friends here.

Adam, what Jenner said is why I would choose the Fabspeed too.

I haven't bought the Fabspeed yet because I promised myself I wouldn't mod my car until I have one of my CC's paid off. Hopefully by March or April I'll be able to start mod'n my car.