996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help please :-( Can't open my car 119

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Help please :-( Can't open my car 119

Sorry guys I'm sure this is in one of the threads out there but I need immediate help as I'm stuck in the garage and cant open my car with the remote or the key. The key just keeps on turning in the key hole and the remote wont work as well. I already got my spare key at home brought by the wife but the remote and key wont work either.

What do I do???

I remember previously the remote won't work after 3 days of not using/starting the pcar. However, the key would work and open the car. Immediately after opening the door the alarm horn will sound (1 chirp) and when you press the remote 1 time - everything goes back to normal.

This time my problem might have been caused by my recent change of the locking mechanism on the driver side door. Maybe I forgot to connect something that connects the key chamber to the locking mechanism :-(

Any other way to open the pcar without the key and remote???

Old 11-23-2013, 11:04 AM
invius is on a distinguished road
Is there a key hole on the passenger side door?

Old 11-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by invius
Is there a key hole on the passenger side door?
None. No key hole on the passenger side door. Key hole is only on the driver's side which don't work and just keeps on turning with the key.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like your screwed on opening the drivers door with the key if the cylinder is spinning...

If the remote isn't working due to a discharged car battery, you could try emergency opening the frunk by the hidden cable, charging/connecting a spare battery, and hopefully getting the remote to unlock the passenger door.

Last edited by pfbz; 11-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by pfbz
Sounds like your screwed on opening the drivers door with the key if the cylinder is spinning...

If the remote isn't working due to a discharged car battery, you could try emergency opening the frunk by the hidden cable, charging/connecting a spare battery, and hopefully getting the remote to unlock the passenger door.
yes I did screw that up unfortunately.

Both remote controls are fine and the car battery is not dead. Strangely but common to my pcar, the remote cannot open the car after 3 days of not starting/using it. The remote seem to loose its programming after 3 days. Is this normal for other pcars?

Old 11-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Im planning to drill out the external plastic door handle to gain access to the locking mechanism. Ill take pictures to remember this screw up and post them here. Wish me luck. If there are other ideas please keep them coming before I do more damage???

Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Use a wedge to open up a window gap and use a long rod to tap the door unlock button?

Price out a replacement rear quarter window?

Last edited by pfbz; 11-23-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:57 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
the remote cannot open the car after 3 days of not starting/using it. The remote seem to loose its programming after 3 days. Is this normal for other pcars?
It doesn't lose programming it just "secures" the car until you unlock it. The "Enty and Drive" system shuts off after 3 days. To reactivate it you simply pull the door handle. That obviously isn't working for you.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:21 AM
open sesame at last!

So here's how I did it guys. Believe me I tried everything including inserting a wire rod long enough to push the open button as well as hook and pop the inside door handle!

I ended up taking out the external plastic door handle using a dremmel cutting bit. I cut through the exact spots where the 2 securing bolts are and was able to pop out the handle in less than 5 minutes gaining access to the locking mechanism. Use a screw driver to rotate the locking mech and voila open sesame!

However, the sad part is I destroyed a perfectly working external door handle worth $25 bucks on ebay. Well honestly one of the reasons why I went this route is because I have spare door handle which I got off ebay a few months back when I thought the whole door handle was faulty where in fact it was only the microswitch :-)

Expensive lesson! :-( be sure that the rod connecting the key chamber to the locking mechanism is connected as well as the connecting plastic tube that opens the door.

I hope this will help fellow 911 owners in the future (not the carnappers and carjackers though)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20131124_124857_zpsc38120ff.jpg
Views:	3637
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	305179   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131124_124959_zps773c9547.jpg
Views:	2241
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	305180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131124_125112_zpsf782e1aa.jpg
Views:	1773
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	305181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131124_125235_zpsec6b8695.jpg
Views:	1578
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	305182  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Mlv_250 will become famous soon enough
I bought my car 2 years ago and recently discovered that my driver door key hole fails to unlock as you have described....key spins around but never unlocks the door. What is the solution to this fix? Any help is very much appreciated. I am not locked out as my remote allows me entry. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Mlv_250
I bought my car 2 years ago and recently discovered that my driver door key hole fails to unlock as you have described....key spins around but never unlocks the door. What is the solution to this fix? Any help is very muych appreciated. I am not locked out as my remote allows me entry. Thanks.
You have to fix it to avoid the same ordeal. Open the door side panel and peek whether the key chamber connecting rod is connected to the locking mechanism. Look towards the upper left hand side. Take a look at my 2nd to the last picture - the slot where I inserted the screwdriver is where the connecting rod from the key chamber should go in.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will look for the connecting rod and hopefully it is still within the door cavity....odd that I don't hear the rod moving/banging around within the door.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
You have to fix it to avoid the same ordeal. Open the door side panel and peek whether the key chamber connecting rod is connected to the locking mechanism. Look towards the upper left hand side. Take a look at my 2nd to the last picture - the slot where I inserted the screwdriver is where the connecting rod from the key chamber should go in.
FMJ,

Is this what you are referring as indicated in the enclosed pix?

Thanks again.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Connecting_Rod.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	305188  
Old 11-24-2013, 10:56 AM
alanwestport is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pfbz
Use a wedge to open up a window gap and use a long rod to tap the door unlock button?

Price out a replacement rear quarter window?
I'm with PFBZ on this one. This is just food for thought now that the job is done....... I would have first thing called AAA and used one of my freebies as if my keys had been locked in the car. IF I had to break something for this operation I would rather have replaced the back window (ebay $85) then have run the risks that you did. The risks being finding a color matched door handle. Drilling into another component behind the door handle. Let's not forget putting huge scratches on my car, which in the pictures it would appear that you have. Ouch. On another note, the rod that would be perfect for the job would be electricians wire fish rod. They are green fiberglass, 5ft long and they can be obtained at Home depot. Once used it could be returned. The McGyver in me would put a wad of blue painters tape on the end to have a bit of sticky to help grip the button.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by alanwestport
I'm with PFBZ on this one. This is just food for thought now that the job is done....... I would have first thing called AAA and used one of my freebies as if my keys had been locked in the car. IF I had to break something for this operation I would rather have replaced the back window (ebay $85) then have run the risks that you did. The risks being finding a color matched door handle. Drilling into another component behind the door handle. Let's not forget putting huge scratches on my car, which in the pictures it would appear that you have. Ouch. On another note, the rod that would be perfect for the job would be electricians wire fish rod. They are green fiberglass, 5ft long and they can be obtained at Home depot. Once used it could be returned. The McGyver in me would put a wad of blue painters tape on the end to have a bit of sticky to help grip the button.
Thanks thanks for providing a wider perspective. As I mentioned I had a spare door handle that paved the way for me taking the route I took.

Just a few comments as well: I dont have AAA here and home depot as well :-). I did not scratch the car - I used dremmel cutting tool pen type. There was no drilling to any component at the back of the handle. The metal frame at the back of the handle can easily be moved out of the way.

But then again you are right. If i only had the time and resources I would have explored other ways. Thanks again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help please :-( Can't open my car 119