996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anyone put in an FM Modulator for their iPOD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:35 AM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
Anyone put in an FM Modulator for their iPOD

Where should I hook the power upto? I know there is supposed to be some sort of aux power cable in the center console somewhere. Is that true on an 03 C2 and does anyone have the pinouts....

Thanks,
Corey

Old 08-25-2005, 09:00 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
why are you looking to hard wire an FM Modulator? I have my Ipod wired in through my CD changer output, sounds pretty good. My wife has the belkin FM Modulator that connects to the ipod, sounds pretty good and clear suprisingily

Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 AM
I have an 03 which is MOST equipped and unless you want to listen in Mono(by using the phone input) or rip the whole thing out, and FM Modulator is all you can do.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 AM
joekimdds is on a distinguished road
the apple itrip is clean and wireless

Old 08-25-2005, 02:57 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
fm modulators suck. there is too much station drift and static. find a way to hardwire it, or don't do it all. it's too bad about most. i just hardwired my ipod into my 02 using the aux option. sounds great.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
No aux option on 03 and up... So I'm stuck with a hardwired modulator....

Old 08-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
DO NOT get an FM Modulator. I used it for a little bit. Thought it was great. Then as I started traveling around I would have to change stations or there would be lots of static. Back to CDs for me until someone comes out with another option

Old 08-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Was yours hardwired...

Old 08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
FM MODULATORS SUCK BIG TIME!

Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Orient Express is on a distinguished road
The outboard FM transmitters like the iTrip and the Belkin unit do not perform very well, especially in large metropolitan areas like LA or NYC. This is mainly due to the lack of quiet airspace with empty adjacent frequencies. There are just too many FM radio stations that have stronger signals, and the inability of the radio to keep lock on the iPod transmitter makes this a poor solution. In the country however it works pretty good.

People that complain about FM transmitters that they suck, etc., are almost basing their critique on an experience with a outboard transmitter, not an in-line.

However, while not perfect, the In-Line FM transmitter is light years ahead of the FM outboard transmitter.

?Why?
Because the way the in-line unit works, is that when its source is on (the ipod, XM, etc.) it isolates the antenna input of the radio to just its signal. So the radio gets a steady signal with no adjacent channel cross-talk. This type of transmitter typically sends its signal at 88.5, which is where the radio is more sensitive. Remember it does not matter what frequency the transmitter sends its signal at, because it has cut the line to the cars antenna, so no other station will interfere. When you turn off the iPod or remove it, the unit automatically reconnects the radio to the cars antenna. This type of FM transmitter is ideal for urban areas with lots of stations.

Now the downside is that the audio signal is limited to the frequency range of the FM band which tops out at about 15kHz. The dynamic range of FM is also more compressed than that of the music source, so the sound will not be as deep as it could be.

But what the hay, it is better than nothing.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
That's what I'm looking for... any recommendation on model or brand....

Also what about power for the unit?

Old 08-26-2005, 05:42 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by joekimdds
the apple itrip is clean and wireless
that's what she has, the Itrip, I was really really suprised by the lack of static and other interference. It's almost as clear as my hardwired unit

Old 08-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Orient Express is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by CoreyNJ
That's what I'm looking for... any recommendation on model or brand....

Also what about power for the unit?
Check with any reputable installer for an in-line unit. They usually go for about $35. These type of under the dash items are usually no-name items. You can also get them from online retailers.

Power for the in-line unit can come from just about any place, but it is probably best to tap the switched power line on the radio. (there should be a pin-out schematic on the bottom of the radio that describes each of the wires that plug into the unit) Also ground the unit to the radio to avoid as much as possible ground loop audio noise.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 AM
gchu is on a distinguished road
When I research mine a year ago, a lot of people recommand the Kenwood FM Modular. I bought two and they don't work well. Endup I got another one made by AudioVox and works very well. I suggest stay away from Kenwood.

I also tried few FM transmitter but no luck. They all have noise or other problems. Few months ago I was at Costco and saw a FM transmitter with an USB port for flashdrive. It's only $25.00 and I bought it with not much expactation. This unit works as good as my AudioVox FM modulator. The unit plays MP3 files off a flash drive connect to its USB port. I carry it around from car to car becuase it goes into the 12V outlet.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
AG996LV is on a distinguished road
I tried the Itrip and didn't like it. I now have an Alpine deck with the Alpine Ipod converter (small black box installed under the dash) that hard wires into the Ipod I keep in the center console. You can control the Ipod from the Alpine head unit, and it charges the Ipod all the time. I haven't removed the Ipod from my center console in over a month- last time I downloaded more songs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone put in an FM Modulator for their iPOD