996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Closing in on a 996 C4 - what to look out for...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 PM
fmanley2 is on a distinguished road
Closing in on a 996 C4 - what to look out for...

I have found a 2002 C4 Cab with 68k miles, clean CarFax, and regular maintenance by the local dealer. Tires are Continental Super Contacts, and am headed out to CA to look it over and get a pre-purchase inspection. For those of you with experience in purchasing a car long-distance, what things should I be on the lookout for when I check it out? Thanks for your inputs…

Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You need to talk to your local DMV about sales tax and the proper way to register the car. Typically, you'll pay sales tax in your home state when you register the car. I believe that California will allow you to transfer the title into your name from the seller's name for a small fee, but you have to take the car out of the state within 24 hours. Otherwise, they will expect you to pay taxes in California.

Other than that, look for the typical things. This includes oil leaks, signs of abuse or previous wrecks. General wear and tear. Don't trust Carfax as a 100% accurate source. Not all wrecks are reported. A proper PPI from a Porsche mechanic should reveal any of the typical issues with these cars.

One other thing to consider is the age of the tires. They may look good from a tread perspective, but if they are more than 6 years old, then they are probably getting close to replacement.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fmanley2
I have found a 2002 C4 Cab with 68k miles, clean CarFax, and regular maintenance by the local dealer. Tires are Continental Super Contacts, and am headed out to CA to look it over and get a pre-purchase inspection. For those of you with experience in purchasing a car long-distance, what things should I be on the lookout for when I check it out? Thanks for your inputs…
What to be on the lookout for? Everything. The C4 is just a used car so a thorough used car check out goes a long way to helping you decide if the car is worth owning.

My advice is to start the engine cold with the AC off and let it idle while you walk around the car looking at body panels, their fit, finish, gaps, etc, but listening to the engine from all points of the compass.

When you turn the key on be sure all the warning lights come on -- especially the CEL -- and all go off as soon as the engine starts and begins to run.

Let the engine idle to nearly warm and then have the seller take you on a 15 mile test ride that gives him a chance to demo the car like you will use it. Around town in stop/go traffic, steady speed cruising and hard accelerations up freeway on ramps up through at least two gears of hard acceleration.

Back at the starting point then you take the car out and drive it over the same route the same way.

If after the above you still like the car give it a used car check out. Check everything.

Be sure the top fits good and doesn't have any air leaks. Check for areas of raised canvas which can be from the rubber underneath deteriorating which can be a sign the top will leak if it does not already.

Give the carpets a check for any dampness and a sniff for any signs they've been damp in the past.

As Dennis C correctly pointed out the tires can be due to be replaced based on their age.

Try to learn what services the car has had so you know where you stand regarding services that might be due. Oil/filter to be sure, but brake fluid/clutch fluid flush/bleed, plugs, filters, and o on.

After your check out have the car PPI'd. This should have the DME engine run time and over rev counters read and you and the PPI guy can discuss what you find means.

Remove the oil filter housing and check for scary stuff in the oil and filter housing.

The PPI should also look for leak sign which might have been exposed by the longish test ride/drive.

Check for signs of accident damage/sub-par repair. New hardware on one side of the car, like a new tire or new wheel. A/C condensers that do not have the same patina which suggests one was replaced. Signs of recent wrenching under the car. And so on. The PPI guy should know…