996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

"Quick" electrical question- Hard starting when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM
wmiranda is on a distinguished road
"Quick" electrical question- Hard starting when cold

Hi,

a few weeks ago I started developing a hard start problem with my 2000 996 C2 Cabrio.
I leave my car at the airport every week and when I can back recently, my car would not start, but would just have a loud whine when I attempted to start it. Sounded as if the starter was not engaging the flywheel. No attempt to turn over on the engine's part.

After somee further attempts (And running down the battery)I got the airport employees to give me a jump and the car started immediately.

I was then able to turn off/start without issue when I gassed up.

Following day, tried to start it and again, would not start until I put a charger/starter system on it.

When it starts initially, it will throw every Misfire code, MAF code,.. DME codes and set the CEL. When I turn it back off after resetting the codes, it will start and run fine without codes being thrown (FYI-DME does not always read error when this happens but the misfire codes do).

When viewing live data on the engine, all voltages/readings are within spec.

My Question: Could this be an issue with ground straps/bad electrical current running through the engine due to corrosion?

I will be changing out ground the ground strap this weekend with a home-made one made out of 4 gauge Copper wire and connectors.

Where else should I look as there are no codes thrown if I drive it regularly (I've done 200+ miles with it not having any issues-until it sits for a few days).

Any ideas?... I'm reaching as I see that there are issues with battery cables/ground straps but those seem to manifest themselves normally when the hat is hot, not cold. Just seems to need a little extra current to get going in its old age.

I have been driving it to and from the airport in the weeks since this started butt carry one of the jump start paks with me for when I return home... and the issue manifests itself again.

Thanks for any directions you may point me... Bill

Old 11-06-2014, 03:56 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
How old is your battery?

Old 11-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
^^^^What he said.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Battery is about 6 months old. Manufacture date is Feb 2014. Been thinking about returning to see if that's the issue but it shows around 13 volts when off.. about 13.8 when driving but... when I put it on my roll-out charger it shows 16.2. Wonder if that's okay or may be a bad cell that manifests itself in a lower current output.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:26 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
As mentioned, sounds like the battery. These cars act very weird when the battery is going bad. When mine was going the car wouldn't turn over but the spoiler in the rear kept going up and down?
Replaced the battery with a Di-Hard and no problems, however if it's going to sit a few days I through the maintainer on it.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Pep Boys or where ever you bought the battery will check it for free. Always fully lock the car when leaving. There should be no horn sound and only the lights should flash twice. In other words, it takes more from the battery when not locked properly than it does when fully locked.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Just as an FYI for the couple of people that pinged me to ask what the original problem was and if it was resolved...

Changed the ground strap and all my issues went away (well,.. at least CAR issues) Car starts no issue,... no codes being thrown etc.

Was going to make my own cable but just bought a battery ground strap (I think 12-14 inches) that was 8 gauge,.. swapped out the Porsche cable and no issues since. Battery has also not failed since.

Thanks all,

Bill

Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
where is the ground strap located,,,is the ground strap different from the negative battery cable

Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by barncobob
where is the ground strap located,,,is the ground strap different from the negative battery cable
On my 2000 Carrera, remove the US Passenger-Side rear wheel and it is actually visible just under the black plastic wheel well cover.. about 2/3rds of the way back. There's a pic of it somewhere. Nothing other than the wheel needs to come off to remove/replace it. A lot simpler than it sounds.

Bill

Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by wmiranda
On my 2000 Carrera, remove the US Passenger-Side rear wheel and it is actually visible just under the black plastic wheel well cover.. about 2/3rds of the way back. There's a pic of it somewhere. Nothing other than the wheel needs to come off to remove/replace it. A lot simpler than it sounds.

Bill
A pic of what the strap actually looks like is at the following URL:

http://www.europartszone.com/images/...7.030.00.b.jpg

Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
Interesting..my buddy had a pristine 36 ford roadster, all modded with all the goodies..when engine got hot it wouldn't start..traced it to a cheapo ground strap,,,its fixed everything..