996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New-to-me 2001 996 Cab, looking for misc. advice on few projects

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Alameda996 is on a distinguished road
New-to-me 2001 996 Cab, looking for misc. advice on few projects

I just bought a 2001 Cab. Polar Silver Metallic. Original owner. Less than 60k miles. My first Porsche!!! My previous fun car with a Lotus Exige. What a difference. I've read a ton of great info on this board, but would love any additional thoughts on the following projects / fixes I'd like to do:

1. Rear glass window upgrade - The plastic rear window has delaminated on the bottom. I've read a lot about repairs people have made, but rather than spending money on a fix, I'd rather spend a bit more, get a brand new top and the glass upgrade. I like the Robbins kit, as it enables you to use the same headliner (while the glass window is smaller than stock plastic window, they embed it in canvas that is same size as stock plastic... so you don't need a new headliner). I've read a few comments suggesting that installing the glass prohibits full access to the engine compartment. I'm not sure how. And I'm not sure how important that is. If anyone has a positive (or negative) experience with the glass upgrade, I'd love to know.

2. IMS retrofit - I'm bringing the car in immediately to do the upgrade. I found what claims to be a "second generation" fix: http://imsretrofit.com/gen-2-single-row-ims-retrofit/ - but have no idea if it's riskier or truly better than the upgrades people are doing currently. Any thoughts?

3. I'd like to install a back-up camera (had one on my Exige, and have one on my 4runner, and they are incredibly helpful), along with adding an Ipod adapter. I've not seen a lot about back-up cameras here, not sure why? Does anyone have a good after market in-dash system with back-up camera that they like?

4. The carbon fiber steering wheel (a $1700 upgrade) has cracking! Is there anything to mask this? Or some high quality steering wheel cover people have a positive experience with?

5. The car has the stock 17" rims and tires on it. The tires are basically brand new. I'd be happy to keep the tires on it, but I want to upgrade the wheels/rims - though hardly anyone seems to make attractive after-market wheels/rims. I suppose I will need to buy 18" tires AND rims, and sell the current tires and 17" rims. Yet is there really a market out there for 17" tires / rims? Seems like a waste if i can't sell the 17" ones...

Ahhhhh

Old 11-17-2014, 12:26 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
The retrofit is a good option, I have the LNE upgraded bearing. FlatSix and LNE make good stuff. On the wheels, go 18 and keep the 17's in case you sell the new buyer can convert back to original. On the new rims, make sure you deal with someone who knows what they are doing, you will need to ensure you have the correct offset, wheels are not plug and play.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:39 PM
SMKaz is on a distinguished road
I installed a JVC KWNT 310 which has Nav, Blue Tooth, Sirius and a Rear Camera - works great and extremely happy with it.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I installed a Pioneer Z120BT. It has Nav, BT, Sirius (optional), and rear camera. I all works quite nicely as well.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
You seem intent on doing your thing. (For what it's worth) and my advice for your consideration.. I would leave the IMS as the mileage is high enough until you need a new clutch. I can't see how the glass window would interfere with accessing the engine compartment. You probably mean access under the rear window when the top is in 'service position'' to the parts that move the cab top. As far as a back up camera. Again a great idea, but for my money, not really needed as you can use the spare seat position button to drop the side mirrors to show the kerb line and the rear view mirror has ample width to see behind. BUT still a great idea. By all means go for 18" wheels and tires and put snow tires on the 17s if you intend it as a daily driver. I think you might be better to buy a used 3 spoke steering wheel from a breakers yard rather than cover up cracking on the one on the car.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:45 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
On item 4. I had the wood on the wheel, Ebrake and shifter redone @ http://www.craftcustoms.com/
They do Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2014, 02:50 PM
vettegirl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
you can use the spare seat position button to drop the side mirrors to show the kerb line.
Please explain...

Old 12-06-2014, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by vettegirl
Please explain...
I have the 99 model which has 3 driving position buttons next to the engine and frunk levers. These are intended for 3 different drivers. There are actually 4 buttons, the 4th being the SET button which you hold along with the selected position button for 3 seconds which permanently sets, seat/side mirror for Driver, Spare driver and yet another driver. I found the 3rd other driver button useful for the reversing procedure. I lowered the out side mirrors so I can see the kerb line. Then I held the 3rd button plus the position setting button for 3 seconds. Now when I have to reverse I simply push button 3. Wait until I see the kerb line and bingo. So in a nut shell. Select a good reversing seat position. Drop the side mirrors to desired position. Hold 3rd button and the 'set' button for 3 seconds. Now when you have to reverse and want to see the kerb line, push that 3rd button. When you want to drive off, push button one. Saves bashing up the rear rims of your car. Unfortunately the inside mirror is still manual. I like to reverse from a high seat position yet I drive from a low seat position. Hope that helps for a smaller glass window in the back.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
... There is an easier way to do that...

If you select the "Reverse" gear before setting the seat memory, the car will automatically drop the passenger mirror when you put the car in reverse. No button pushing required at all. Check the seat memory function in the manual but that's basically it.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:47 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Regarding the top replacement. I replaced mine this year and after some consideration went with the plastic window. The windows are now double-stitched and glued and should not suffer from delamination as my original did. The top with the glass window is nearly twice the price and I really think that due to the size difference, the plastic windows more closely resemble the lines on the coupe. The glass windows are very small and offer greatly reduced visibility.

Of course this is a matter of personal taste. I just wanted to highlight that delamination should not be a problem. Get the German A5 Canvas version in either case.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:04 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Alameda996
I just bought a 2001 Cab.

4. The carbon fiber steering wheel (a $1700 upgrade) has cracking! Is there anything to mask this? Or some high quality steering wheel cover people have a positive experience with?

5. The car has the stock 17" rims and tires on it. The tires are basically brand new. I'd be happy to keep the tires on it, but I want to upgrade the wheels/rims - though hardly anyone seems to make attractive after-market wheels/rims. I suppose I will need to buy 18" tires AND rims, and sell the current tires and 17" rims. Yet is there really a market out there for 17" tires / rims? Seems like a waste if i can't sell the 17" ones...
congrats!
#4. Either buff out or replace with one of these. Replacement is on my wish list.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-macarbon.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-thread-7.htm

#5. I haven't seen any 17's on the market. Keep it for tracking? Snow shoes?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:23 AM
If the CF looks totally trashed and you don't think it will sand out - send it to me. I can fix it so it won't show at all. If you do sand it, you should paint it with automotive clear coat or it will turn yellow over time.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 AM
C4inDFW is on a distinguished road
I pretty much have the same car. Of the items listed, ive only had experience w #1. .

I had the same issue w the top coming unglued, and purchased replacement from germanautotops.com off ebay w great results. They have one of the best warranties out there w 5yrs, and were helpful w the install. As i recall, their window was much larger too. 2 years later, no issues at all.

My indy cuts the oil filter open each interval and has reassured me that there is no signs of wear w my IMs, though i will replace it once i hit 40k miles along w a clutch.

For fun suggestions, i did the fister exhaust, a 997 SSK, clear side markers, speaker upgrades all for a subtle but great bang-for-buck return.

I had a drunk hit and crack my front bumper, which enabled me to change that out to an OEM Aero Kit w side skirts. Extremely satisfied w all!!!

Old 01-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Slider
... There is an easier way to do that...

If you select the "Reverse" gear before setting the seat memory, the car will automatically drop the passenger mirror when you put the car in reverse. No button pushing required at all. Check the seat memory function in the manual but that's basically it.
My 99 C2 does not work that way. Glad it doesn't really. I would not like to have to go through all the seat and mirror adjustment process every time I select reverse gear. I only need that adjustment occasionally.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
My 99 C2 does not work that way. Glad it doesn't really. I would not like to have to go through all the seat and mirror adjustment process every time I select reverse gear. I only need that adjustment occasionally.
You misunderstand my post... Once adjusted with seat memory, there is nothing to do. When you put the car in reverse, the right side mirror tilts to give you a perfect view of your rear wheel and the curb - automatically. Once out of reverse, the mirror returns to it's previous position.