996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How many C4 guys remove the inflatable spare?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:17 PM
mhs525 is on a distinguished road
How many C4 guys remove the inflatable spare?

Hey everyone.

Stupid question but I'm curious. How many C4 owners keep the inflatable spare, jack, tools etc in the car for every day driving?

My car is a 2000 and I have no idea if the spare would even hold air at this point. If I did get a flat I would be just as tempted to flat bed the car to get the tire replace/repaired vs trusting a 14 year old inflatable.

I am doing some work on the car and considering leaving all that stuff out when I put her back together. Less weight.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:38 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Tools and jack I'd say ok, but the spare no, at least for me. As I understand it the spare has been positioned to help in the case of a front end collision. So, it's a safety thing.

Originally Posted by mhs525
Hey everyone.

Stupid question but I'm curious. How many C4 owners keep the inflatable spare, jack, tools etc in the car for every day driving?

My car is a 2000 and I have no idea if the spare would even hold air at this point. If I did get a flat I would be just as tempted to flat bed the car to get the tire replace/repaired vs trusting a 14 year old inflatable.

I am doing some work on the car and considering leaving all that stuff out when I put her back together. Less weight.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I have an 01 TT and I had a blowout while on a spirited drive on a remote road a year ago. No cell service - I was very happy to have that inflatable spare. If you don't need the trunk space, why not keep it? If you have any doubts about it - inflate it and check it out. It could set you back 10 minutes, but the peace of mind is priceless.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 PM
mhs525 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys,

I had not thought about the potential of the spare tire being part of the crash structure but it makes sense looking at the sheet metal that makes up the trunk floor.

Not sure how I feel about the above... in general not good but I think we all know, or should know, we are giving up some safety when we tear *** around in a 911 vs something bigger, heavier and unfortunately safer...

The spare will go back in the car.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
I took mine out the first day, I only put it back in for Road Trips.

Ended up using it when I did Gumball 2010

Old 12-11-2014, 07:49 PM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
Make sure your pump still has the inflator hose. Mine disappeared years ago after a dealer service. If you get a flat without that hose, none of the other stuff matters. Same with the the locking wheel bolt tool. Ask me how I know...

Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Still have ours in. I take it out every few years to inspect and inflate it.

I'll always call AAA since I pay for it, but I also want the option to do it myself if time/safety/availability don't make using them a viable option.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 PM
dinicor is on a distinguished road
Ok, the timing of this thread is perfect!!! I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing anything from my C4. I've got the spare tire and rim, the tool kit, the air pump and the scissor jack with the handle. I'm seeing some cases where there's a black vinyl tire cover and a foam insert that goes in the rim itself and it's formed to hold the jack and the handle (I have a yellow felt bag to hold my jack)? I'm assuming that's for a C2?

Can someone perhaps post a few pics of what's in there?

Porsche parts schematics surprisingly only seems to detail the parts for a C2 it would appear!!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
I would like to see a picture also.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
From top to bottom:

Jack in the yellow felt bag.
Lever bar for lug wrench.
Phillips screw driver.
Lug wrench.
Jack crank (left).
Wheel alignment tool.
Tow eye.
Headlight tool.
10 and 13mm wrench.
Air pump in plastic bag.

It also came with some plastic sheets to put on the ground (right center under the tool carrier)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2032719840.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	409850  

Last edited by gnat; 12-15-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: stupid iphone/ib image orientation...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:10 PM
dinicor is on a distinguished road
Thanks gnat - that's perfect! Damn I believe I am missing the crank handle? I'll have to double check. Thanks again!

Old 12-23-2014, 11:17 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
I had my first flat tire ever in my 20+ years of driving. So glad I had the inflatable spare in the front of my C4S.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by SCowboy
I had my first flat tire ever in my 20+ years of driving. So glad I had the inflatable spare in the front of my C4S.
We've been fortunate to never need ours, but better prepared than not

What was it like to drive on? Obviously you won't be trying to lap the Ring or anything, but did it still drive and handle OK?

Old 12-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I had to drive about 30 Km on mine. Couldn't even tell it was there - although I stopped driving like I was on a track and kept the speed "reasonable".

Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 PM
cmoore1 is on a distinguished road
For anyone thinking about leaving the spare & tools at home--don't forget to at least leave the tow hook (necessary for flatbed towing) and the key for the wheel locks in the car!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many C4 guys remove the inflatable spare?