996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Frunk issue!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 PM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
Frunk issue!

Had to use my frunk emergency release cable today, not because of a dead batter but because of an issue with the actuator. Now that I got the hood open, I cant get the hood to lock when closing it. Anyone have any insight as to why this is or how I can get the hood to lock after using the emergency release?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
Your latch is probably stuck open cause the cable tension or corrosion is preventing it from returning to the ready position.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:40 AM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fierofly
Your latch is probably stuck open cause the cable tension or corrosion is preventing it from returning to the ready position.
so is there a way I can manipulate it to lock??

Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dbTarga996
Had to use my frunk emergency release cable today, not because of a dead batter but because of an issue with the actuator. Now that I got the hood open, I cant get the hood to lock when closing it. Anyone have any insight as to why this is or how I can get the hood to lock after using the emergency release?
The reason the actuator didn't work is probably because the latch hardware is worn out. My front trunk latch is getting worn -- the car has 288K mile so it -- and I suspect at some point I'll have to have it replaced. The Porsche techs have told me that occasionally they encounter a front trunk latch that is worn out and just no longer works.

A "test" -- not infallible -- is if you operate the front trunk open button/switch and hear the actuator operate but the latch fails to open this is a worn latch. If you do not hear the actuator operate the problem is with the actuator (or the switch or more likely the fuse).

If you remove the plastic panel that covers the latch you can with a screw driver push down on the latch catch and cause the latch to latch as it would had you closed the trunk lid. You can observe how the latch then operates or not operates (as the case might be) and from this observation probably determine if the latch is worn or the problem lies elsewhere.