996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 P0349 Camshaft or Hall Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Johnstof is on a distinguished road
996 P0349 Camshaft or Hall Sensor Replacement

Hi. Sorry if this has been previously posted and addressed. But I searched this and other forums for nearly two hours and came up short. So I'm starting this thread.

The CEL light came on a month ago. Pulled a P0349 code stating Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2). Car seems to drive normally so I reset it. CEL came back on today and I pulled the same code. Again, no change in performance noticed whatsoever.

Online research leads me to think this part also goes by other names including
Hall Sender (this is what it's called in the Porsche Parts Catalog)
Hall Effect Sender
Hall Sensor

PN is 99660610603 (my car is a 2003) i think earlier 996s ended with an 02 rather than 03 in the PN.

So.... has anyone had this issue? Have you replaced it? Is there a site with instructions or pics?

I found the following additional info on another forum:
996 LHD: bank 2 is located on the right side ( passenger side ) hall sensor 2 is located on top of the cylinder head straight in front of the intake camshaft near the gearbox and besides the oil cooler ( heat exchanger ).
You need a lift to replace the sensor, it takes 15 minutes if you do it from the bottom side.

So if that's true, I should be beneath the car on the passenger side. But I still don't know where to find it. Part is about $65. 15 minutes would be spectacular but even if it take me 2 hours it's a DIY job.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Johnstof is on a distinguished road
Found and Replaced

Well there were a few hundred views but no replies. But I finished the job so I figured I should share.

For anyone looking to replace this sensor, it's not easy to find unless you know where to look. So I'll give you the location by point of reference. *If you are lying on your back under the car, locate the oil filter. *The sensor is about 8 inches forward (toward the front of the car) and about 8 inches outward toward the passenger side of the car. *Look straight up and there you will find the sensor.

Getting the one bolt loose was a bear. *It's tight quarters so fitting a socket wrench was not possible. *It's a 5 mm hex bolt so use an allen wrench. *It takes a good hard push to break it free due to blue locktite on the threads. * I installed a Bosch aftermarket sensor (about $62 on Amazon) rather than the Porsche OEM sensor which is roughly $300.*

Took about 90 minutes from start to finish about an hour of which was trying to figure out what type of bit I needed and how to get the darn bolt loose. *If I had to do it again, it's no more than a 30 minute job.

BTW, my car was on jack stands, not a lift.

John

Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Frank Urbaniak is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Johnstof
Well there were a few hundred views but no replies. But I finished the job so I figured I should share.

For anyone looking to replace this sensor, it's not easy to find unless you know where to look. So I'll give you the location by point of reference. *If you are lying on your back under the car, locate the oil filter. *The sensor is about 8 inches forward (toward the front of the car) and about 8 inches outward toward the passenger side of the car. *Look straight up and there you will find the sensor.

Getting the one bolt loose was a bear. *It's tight quarters so fitting a socket wrench was not possible. *It's a 5 mm hex bolt so use an allen wrench. *It takes a good hard push to break it free due to blue locktite on the threads. * I installed a Bosch aftermarket sensor (about $62 on Amazon) rather than the Porsche OEM sensor which is roughly $300.*

Took about 90 minutes from start to finish about an hour of which was trying to figure out what type of bit I needed and how to get the darn bolt loose. *If I had to do it again, it's no more than a 30 minute job.

BTW, my car was on jack stands, not a lift.

John
Hey John trying to clear a P1397 code on my 2001 996tt which says bank2 cam sensor. New Bosch part seems to be defective as I get no resistance reading on my multimeter. I also noticed that that the sensor is a bit magnetic is that normal? Even the old part is like that. Any way that you were able to test the new part?