996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2003 C4S Window Regulator now Air Bar warning light & Window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:36 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
2003 C4S Window Regulator now Air Bar warning light & Window

Help: I replaced my window regulator this past weekend and now I have two issues: First is the air bag warning light goes on. Second the window won't completely go all the way down. I reconnected the air bag so I know the connection is secure. My goof may have been when I reconnected the battery to raise the window to reprogram the program I didn't reconnect the air bag at the time. (Ugh) Second when I inserted the window back in to the new regulator it did go completely down, but now it is like 1/4 still showing See pictures. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2016, 10:41 AM
RngTrtl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911C4S
My goof may have been when I reconnected the battery to raise the window to reprogram the program I didn't reconnect the air bag at the time. (Ugh) Second when I inserted the window back in to the new regulator it did go completely down, but now it is like 1/4 still showing See pictures. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
winner winner chicken dinner. if you turn the car on with an airbag unplugged itll throw the light. you have to have a piwis/durametric/etc to clear it, or you can take somewhere that specializes in euro cars and they can clear it. I dont have any insight into your regulator not going down all the way, did you remove the spacers from the bottom of the regulator. They have to be removed in used in a 996 and left if in a boxster.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:03 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Thanks

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
winner winner chicken dinner. if you turn the car on with an airbag unplugged itll throw the light. you have to have a piwis/durametric/etc to clear it, or you can take somewhere that specializes in euro cars and they can clear it. I dont have any insight into your regulator not going down all the way, did you remove the spacers from the bottom of the regulator. They have to be removed in used in a 996 and left if in a boxster.
Had no idea on the removal of spacers on the regulator! Thanks for that heads up! Second I do have an OB diagnostic computer which I'll give it a shot today. Thanks again for taking the time to post. Really appreciate it.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM
a regular ODB-II scanner will not see the air bag fault. You have to have a special reader mentioned above or take it to shop. Glad to help!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:49 AM
a regular ODB-II scanner will not see the air bag fault. You have to have a special reader mentioned above or take it to shop. Glad to help!
Since I'm going to repeat the entire process again with the regulator, if I correctly follow the sequence with unplugging the air bag and replugging before reconnecting the battery, would this fix the problem with the error message. Thanks again...

Old 10-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Had no idea on the removal of spacers on the regulator! Thanks for that heads up! Second I do have an OB diagnostic computer which I'll give it a shot today. Thanks again for taking the time to post. Really appreciate it.
Negative. It is a permanent fault code and has to be cleared by one of the devices listed above. You will HAVE to take it to an indy shop that has the equipment, take it to a dealership, or by the durametric or piwis.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:15 AM
thanks

Negative. It is a permanent fault code and has to be cleared by one of the devices listed above. You will HAVE to take it to an indy shop that has the equipment, take it to a dealership, or by the durametric or piwis.
Thanks!

Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 AM
This might sound like a stupid question but exactly where are the spacers located for removal? Thanks.. Would the spacer be seen here?

Attached Images  

Last edited by 911C4S; 10-05-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:36 PM
FYI: To adjust the window height is done by removing the outer plugs under the door using an E6 Torx socket to turn the stopper counterclockwise to higher window, and I assume Clockwise to lower window. Wish me luck. Found a write up on Pelicanparts.com

Old 10-07-2016, 03:13 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
RngTrtl is right you have to take it someplace to have the fault code cleared. I took mine when I got an oil change other wise they try to charge you for it which is total bull cause all they do is plug in a computer and navigate to the setting that turns is off. As far as lowering your window be careful not to lower it to much. As a matter of fact I think that is the actual height of it when its lowered. If you lower it to be totally down when you roll it back up it might not make a strong seal. I would do a seal check at the top before you start lowering it. On mine sock height is a little out of the door.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
RngTrtl is right you have to take it someplace to have the fault code cleared. I took mine when I got an oil change other wise they try to charge you for it which is total bull cause all they do is plug in a computer and navigate to the setting that turns is off. As far as lowering your window be careful not to lower it to much. As a matter of fact I think that is the actual height of it when its lowered. If you lower it to be totally down when you roll it back up it might not make a strong seal. I would do a seal check at the top before you start lowering it. On mine sock height is a little out of the door.
Thanks for the heads up! I really don't want to create more issues by trying to rectify this. So many times I'd try to fix one thing and then create more of a headache!

Old 10-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I really don't want to create more issues by trying to rectify this. So many times I'd try to fix one thing and then create more of a headache!
i remember there being some good write ups over on RL. Have you searched there?

Old 10-10-2016, 04:02 PM
i remember there being some good write ups over on RL. Have you searched there?
I'll go and check it out. Thanks for the heads up!! I've noticed my window itself needs to be shifted forward a little. (I can tell from my tint job) Hopefully this will rectify the issue with the window not going completely down. Once I fix this issue, then it's dealing with the air bag issue and getting a shop to hook it up and run the diagnostics on it.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:10 PM
the good news is that the air bag light is super simple. Hopefully you will get the window situated correctly and your window issues will be over!