996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Trickle Battery Chargers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:20 PM
history19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Trickle Battery Chargers

Has anyone out there permanently mounted a trickle charger in the trunk? If so, where and how.
Thanks.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
I have the Porsche battery maintainer and I just plug it into the cigarette lighter (which is always live).

Is there a reason you want to plug it into the trunk? If so, you should buy the Delran connector that attaches directly to your battery terminals and has a quick disconnect plug. The Delran maintainers all have a quick disconnect that you can plug into the connector directly into the battery. I did this on two of my cars where the cigarette lighter does not remain live after you turn off the car.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:31 PM
history19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery Maintainer

Long Islander,
I bought a Shumacher 1.5A charger/maintainer which doesn't have the ability to plug-in as the Porsche chargers do. I did install a disconnect near the battery terminals and decided to just connect and charge/maintain when needed.
Thanks for you input...much appreciated.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
Trickle chargers scare me, reasons why and maybe someone with more experience with them can change my mind.
1. Had a Harley Davidson brand hooked up to my Fatboy for about 3 months with a 20ft extension cord (maybe the problem), it evaporated every bit of electrolyte.
2. A friend had one on his four wheeler, his shed caught fire and burnt to ground, he thinks that's what started

Old 02-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fierofly
Trickle chargers scare me, reasons why and maybe someone with more experience with them can change my mind.
1. Had a Harley Davidson brand hooked up to my Fatboy for about 3 months with a 20ft extension cord (maybe the problem), it evaporated every bit of electrolyte.
2. A friend had one on his four wheeler, his shed caught fire and burnt to ground, he thinks that's what started

A trickle charger will keep charging your battery and simply cook it (not likely to start a fire though). That's why you need a battery maintainer that will charge it and then go into a very low maintenance mode.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Long Islander
A trickle charger will keep charging your battery and simply cook it (not likely to start a fire though). That's why you need a battery maintainer that will charge it and then go into a very low maintenance mode.
Sorry,I shouldn't have used the word trickle, I meant maintainer

Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fierofly
Sorry,I shouldn't have used the word trickle, I meant maintainer
So I'd guess something wrong with the H-D battery or your maintainer. Once battery charge is achieved, a maintainer stops charging and switches to float mode. I've used both the H-D maintainer and Deltran (same product, just re-badged) and never had any issues with the H-D or the Porsche batteries.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 02-07-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Check out C-tek http://smartercharger.com/

They also offer a pigtail with a quick disconnect which is really cool.

AND....a $50 device that also pigtails, syncs via bluetooth to your phone and with their App tells you the state of charge. VERY helpful!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Left my 991 on Cetek charger/maintaner for 2 months while out of the country. Came back and no issues. Trickle chargers just keep going.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:58 AM
B1250Cpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Left my 991 on Cetek charger/maintaner for 2 months while out of the country. Came back and no issues. Trickle chargers just keep going.
My 8series is on a Cetek charger/maintainer all year long (she's got 2 batteries and she doesn't like them being low), never had an issue for the last 7 or 8 years.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
I use a Deltran "Battery Tender" dual model (http://products.batterytender.com/Ch...emisphere.html) in my garage when the car is laid up for winter maintenance/projects. My son has his 944 hooked up as well, and it has been flawless for the last two seasons. As mentioned earlier, these charger/maintainers are "smart" (i.e. they've got microprocessor controlled logic circuits that continually monitor power levels) and will not over charge a battery - it can be argued that they increase battery life.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:47 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I've used CTEK for years on multiple cars for many months, never any issues. Also used "Battery Tender" with no issues. I do plug it into a GIF circuit and check occasional.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.