996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Cylinder misfire problem Help !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
911_maestro is on a distinguished road
996 Cylinder misfire problem Help !!

Hi guys, need your input.
I have a 99' 996 with approx. 69k miles and cylinder #1 is misfiring due to coolant/water/moisture getting in it. The technician told me is either a head gasket or a piston replacement but more than likely the car will need a new engine because changing either one of these may not fix the problem. Basically the car runs of 5 cylinders at times and has erratic idle as well as some smoke from the passenger side exhaust. Has anyone experienced this type of problem.
I need a second opinion so if you've heard of this problem let me know. I will appreciate it.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:19 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Looks like a new engine.....On the 99's there was also a problem with the liquid channels inside the block. When the walls of these channels broke down, they allowed oil and coolant to mix. The factory says replace the engine. My 99 had this problem and the engine was replaced by the dealer. My car was also under warranty. I would call your local Porsche dealer, let them know you know it was a problem with 99's and ask for a goodwill repair because the service records are up to date and the car has only 69K miles on it. The best you can hope for is they will goodwill the engine, and you will have to pay the labor which is about 2K for the engine swap. I have heard of this being done with lots of out of warranty cars, but you must be persistent, and you will have to get PCNA involved as they make the final decision.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks man, unfortunately the dealer can't do much on goodwill since the vehicle is out of warranty. Do you know what is the best place to look for a good used engine (if there is one). I am in So Cal too.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 PM
spr
spr is on a distinguished road
It seems that it is worth getting the remanny engine from porsche by considering the prices around and the warranty-

Old 01-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Tool Pants is on a distinguished road
Remove the head and look.

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2006, 10:39 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by 911_maestro
Thanks man, unfortunately the dealer can't do much on goodwill since the vehicle is out of warranty. Do you know what is the best place to look for a good used engine (if there is one). I am in So Cal too.
Yes there is.....DONT GIVE UP SO EASILY. Number one, did you buy the car from a dealer or private party? If you bought it from a porsche dealer, go back there. Tell them the car has 69K miles on the car and the engine went. The dealer knows of the problems with '99's, so they wont be shocked. Then ask what can be done, and if they can get you in contact with the PCNA regional rep. Like I said, I have heard of MANY Boxster's out of warranty that have had goodwill engine replacements. The only not covered was the labor, but the complete engine was goodwilled on out of warranty cars. It won't be offered, and you may need to be persistant and not accept no for an answer, but it has been done. Good Luck.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
could it be a coil pack?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
Was this a problem with just the 1999 model?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:18 PM
There are problems with all 996 engines, but there are specific ones with 99 engines. The problem with the oil and coolant channels breaking down within the engine was more problematic on 99's and usually happened around 75k miles. Mine happened at 73k miles.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
Was the problem resolved in the 2001 engines or is it still the luck of the draw?

Old 01-14-2006, 01:13 PM
I called the dealer and insisted on some kind of help and mentioned to them that this is a fairly common problem. However they told me that the car was previously resold and was way out of warranty (3 yrs after it expired) so they are not likely to help me. My tech advisor also talked to them and told me that they discussed the situation with them with negative results as well.
So now I'm left with either replacing the entire engine or rolling the dice by just fixing the head gasket. I doubt this will fix it though.
My tech advisor told me that he had to replace the entire engine on a 2001 996 due to the intermix problem as well so it may not be just an issue of 99's but others as well. This car was worse because oil had mixed into the cooling system all the way to the radiators and it ended costing upwards from $14k to replace everything including radiators and hoses.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Maestro, well if you read my post, I said GO TO THE DEALER. You will get WAY more done in person than on the phone. Number 2, I said you needed to contact Porsche Cars North America, and get the regional rep involved. Posche Norrth America will be picking up the bill, NOT the dealer. The dealer cannot make that decision, nor will they try. So you need to be angry AND respectful, drop the car off, tell them that its absolutely crazy for an $80,000 car to have an engine go at 69K miles. That you want to talk to the regional rep from PCNA. That you will not accept the out of warranty line because even if its out of warranty, you would expect a car to last more than 69k miles. Then you SHOW them your service history, that the car was properly maintained (you have that right?) and was serviced to factory specs. Stay firm and say that Porsche needs to make this right. The call 1800 PORSCHE and make a claim with them. That way your car is on file with this problem. Tell them you know this is a problem, and its a DEFECT that should be fixed by the factory. If you are persistent, and diligent, you should be able to get them to goodwill the engine, but you have to pay the labor. The end result should be 2k out of pocket instead of 10k. The bottom line is you must get BEYOND the dealer, and get to Porsche Cars North America. They make the decisions, and can authorize such a replacement. Remember that everything is negotiable, maybe they wont goodwill the engine, maybe they will do a 50/50 deal with you. This now depends on your negotiation and communication skills. Good luck and keep us updated...By the way, which dealer did you call? That also matters. If you called B. Hills, or Newport, you will get a fat NO...but I had Newport replace a clutch in my Boxster at cost in a car out of warranty, and a rear window replaced, as well as a BUNCH of little things...All with a Boxster that had no warranty.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 PM
msalamza is on a distinguished road
Same problem

Hey guys, sadly I had the same problem with my 2001 C4. Porsche did some tests and they said there was coolant/moisture in cylinder 1 and possibly 5. There is not any oil in the coolant, but I think there might be coolant in the oil. They started estimating me engines but it is way out of my budget. Does anyone know what this problem could be? cracked head? cracked cylinder sleeve? If I know what the exact problem is I will know where to start. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 PM
I have an update on my 2001 911 carrera. It has a crack in the cylinder wall. Does anyone know what the fix is for this problem? Any advice would be great! thanks.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM
anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Cylinder misfire problem Help !!