996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Light Weight Flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM
charha01 can only hope to improve
Light Weight Flywheel

I might be due for a new clutch soon, so I'm looking at options and wondering if anyone has info on light weight flywheels? Pros and cons? My 03 C4S is a daily driver and doesn't see track days, so I don't want something that makes using as a DD a PITA, but if it helps performance and doesn't have any downside (other than cost) then I'd like to go that route.
Thanks

Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that the lightweight flywheel is for track cars. It's noisy and very touchy from dead starts - not endearing factors in a street car.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by dporto
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that the lightweight flywheel is for track cars. It's noisy and very touchy from dead starts - not endearing factors in a street car.
Good to know. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:35 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dporto
Above is true.
However the faster reving due to a LWFW is the msin objective, and it works.
They are not for everyone, if anything go with a Sachs sprung clutch disc, another big improvement.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Above is true.
However the faster reving due to a LWFW is the msin objective, and it works.
They are not for everyone, if anything go with a Sachs sprung clutch disc, another big improvement.
Excellent. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 PM
mfletch is on a distinguished road
I have had an Aasco light weight flywheel for years and I absolutely love it. I just taught my 22 year old son how to drive a manual transmission on it. He had no problem. It takes a few minutes to get accustomed to. I would never go back. The noise is only noticeable in neutral with the A/C on. It sounds like a light weight flywheel. You will not mistake it for anything else.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 AM
cinellipro is on a distinguished road
I also have the AAsco flywheel installed at Vertex in my 99C2. I too was hesitant about the noise. However, Vertex have a proprietary formulated gear oil that dramatically reduces the transmission chatter. The chatter is barely noticeable until the temperature starts getting higher. I listened to a non-Vertexed fluidated LWFW chatter and it was definitely noticeable, and for me unacceptable. That being said there is a slight chatter under normal driving conditions (and I live in South Florida) more noise with clutch pedal up and AC, but FOR ME it's not an annoyance with their fluid.
Regarding performance, the engine revs free and to this date has never stalled. I also would never go back (unless that fluid weren't available).

Old 05-21-2017, 01:55 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
I had one on one of my 996's and hated the sound..very annoying in my opinion.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tarek307
I had one on one of my 996's and hated the sound..very annoying in my opinion.
That sound arises because the LWFW doesn't have the crankshaft dampening that the stock flywheel has. Crankshaft dampening is important. Jake Raby of FlatSixInnovations has come out against LWFWs for these engines due to the lack of dampening and the increase in stress to the engine from the increased variability of the engine's rotation.

Really the stock flywheel is pretty light to begin with. Probably has the best compromise between size and weight. I know with my stock Boxster's flywheel I can get the car moving from a dead stop with engine RPMs just at 1K simply by after applying just a touch of pedal to get the RPMs up then concurrently with easing up on the gas pedal smoothly releasing the clutch pedal. The clutch slips very little and the car moves off smartly. (The same technique works with my 996 Turbo too.)

This is one reason why the clutch in my 2002 Boxster is original even with over 310K miles on it. When I had the Turbo transmission out for an RMS repair the clutch disc at around 120K miles had no measurable wear.

Yet both cars shift very quickly and have good throttle response.

Thus imho a LWFW is one more aftermarket item I'd leave on the shelf at the parts warehouse, along with a low temp T-stat, underdrive pulley and a cold air intake.

For tracking a car I'd certainly consider intelligent mod's to ensure the engine's oiling system and cooling system were up to the demands. Those mod's I think make sense.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Joe-1972 is on a distinguished road
I have the AASCO light weight setup and I have absolutely NO issues...
It is how the car was set up when I got it so I don't know what any other car feels like...
It gives me NO issues on the road... Autocross... city driving... blah... blah... blah...

What it does do is rattle... When the motor and trans warmed up and the clutch is pressed in or when I'm in neutral at a stop light it will make a weird rattle noise...

Easy fix... put it in gear and go... ;P

PS... I have been able to launch with it from the starting line during one Autocross hard enough to spin the wheels and have the PSM kick in and bog my start...

Old 05-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Joe-1972
I have the AASCO light weight setup and I have absolutely NO issues...
It is how the car was set up when I got it so I don't know what any other car feels like...
It gives me NO issues on the road... Autocross... city driving... blah... blah... blah...

What it does do is rattle... When the motor and trans warmed up and the clutch is pressed in or when I'm in neutral at a stop light it will make a weird rattle noise...

Easy fix... put it in gear and go... ;P

PS... I have been able to launch with it from the starting line during one Autocross hard enough to spin the wheels and have the PSM kick in and bog my start...
Like I said that rattle is due to the lack of dampening. The gear box rattles and that is what you hear but what you don't hear is the extra stress the crank/rods/bolts/etc and the cam chain guide tensioners and rails and those composite plastic rail covers experience with the fitting of a LWFW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.