996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What would be you next choice (after 996C2): Turbo S or C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 PM
porsche911 is on a distinguished road
What would be you next choice (after 996C2): Turbo S or C4S

I had 996 C2. enjoyed it and sold it a few months ago.
Now, I have a chance to buy 996 Turbo S. 2005. Short shifting Gear. with Minor stuff (window lifter or so) needs to be done ( say more 5K $).75000 km. Black. coupe. Owned by a guy working in VW group as an adviser but can get porsche work done at the dealer easily!

Should I get that one or

997.1 C4S immaculate one. convertible. with an available metal top. Silver. Major service done prematurely (cuz he can do it!) 42000 km on the clock. Porsche FAN. - owns another 991 manual, Cayenne manual.

Both are manual and with car loving owners....

996 would need touch up

I will use any of those as a daily drive... My previous 996 C2 had 180000km when I sold it a few months ago... I am not going to keep any of them in the garage. I would use them once r twice a week for more than 300 km drive.
Will Turbo S cost me more than C4S on the long term?

What would be your pick?

Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Own a 2004 X50 996 turbo, would be inclined to purchase the turbo based on the engine alone.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I would probably go for the Turbo S. Make sure you have the PCCB rotors and pads inspected. If you have to replace them, you're looking at about $5,000 USD per corner.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM
jeffz is an unknown quantity at this point
For your location, I would go for the C4S.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:34 PM
RngTrtl is infamous around these parts
id get the turbo for sure.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:58 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Boost baby!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2017, 03:29 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porsche911
I had 996 C2. enjoyed it and sold it a few months ago.
Now, I have a chance to buy 996 Turbo S. 2005. Short shifting Gear. with Minor stuff (window lifter or so) needs to be done ( say more 5K $).75000 km. Black. coupe. Owned by a guy working in VW group as an adviser but can get porsche work done at the dealer easily!

Should I get that one or

997.1 C4S immaculate one. convertible. with an available metal top. Silver. Major service done prematurely (cuz he can do it!) 42000 km on the clock. Porsche FAN. - owns another 991 manual, Cayenne manual.

Both are manual and with car loving owners....

996 would need touch up

I will use any of those as a daily drive... My previous 996 C2 had 180000km when I sold it a few months ago... I am not going to keep any of them in the garage. I would use them once r twice a week for more than 300 km drive.
Will Turbo S cost me more than C4S on the long term?

What would be your pick?
Coupe vs. Cab?

Turbo vs. N/A?

You need to decide then find the best example you can afford and buy it.

Too bad you can't keep the car in a garage or at least under a carport cover. My 2002 Boxster sat out now for 5 years or so and the paint (clear coat) on top of the out side mirrors is starting to peel. My 996 Turbo sits under a carport. (As does my Boxster now as I intend to get the clear coat fixed.)

If you buy a Cab and if you own it long enough you have to budget for a new top. The one on my Boxster developed a leak even though I never put the top down and I had to have the top replaced.

All other things being equal the Turbo S will cost more than the C4S. Turbo services just cost more than N/A car services. And my experience with my 996 Turbo is more things go wrong. Shifter broke. Transmission leaked. Radiator fan motor shaft snapped. Clutch accumulator and slave cylinder went bad. Idler roller bearings went bad (twice now). The aforementioned items were covered by the CPO warranty.

Then the RMS leaked. Spoiler hydraulics leaked. Front diff axle flange seals leaked. Rear view mirror leaked. Water pump leaked. Radiators leaked. The other radiator fan motor was not running right.

The Turbo requires more frequent servicing of some items, like plugs and for my 2003 Turbo the fuel filter. (The Boxster fuel filter is not a serviceable item.)

The Turbo burns more fuel and while it gets the same tire life (approx. 20K miles from the rears, double that from the fronts) tires cost more.

The Turbo is an excellent road car though. The Boxster ain't bad and I drove it a lot on long (2K to 8K mile long) road trips but the Turbo is even better on the open highway. Comfortable. Good view out. Easy cruising at highway/freeway speeds. Passing up hills even at higher elevations (~9K feet above sea level) not a problem.

A real GT.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:49 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Just don't drive the turbo or you mind will be made up. No substitute for boost!!
I went from an 04 996 40th edition to an 07 997TT. Love it every day!!

Old 06-12-2017, 03:13 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Turbo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.