996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Relay controlling Hi & Lo Beams?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Jglowien is an unknown quantity at this point
Update: Relay controlling Hi & Lo Beams?

I bought a 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Cabriolet about a year ago. My high beams (Litronic) would occasionally not come on right away, sometimes taking a few seconds to finally come on. Same thing started to happen with the low beams. Now, neither one comes on. The running and fog lights work fine, as well as the high beams when pulling the steering wheel stalk.

I have just inspected the inards of the lighting switch on the left of the dash, next to the ignition switch. The insides looked fine, compared to the brake light switch contacts I repaired about 6 months ago.
=============
UPDATE: Took the switch apart one more time and cleaned all the internal contacts. Also was extra careful putting it all together, since I wasn't happy with the rotary action. Seems to have largely worked. I think it was the polishing of the contacts that did it.
=============
I've also inspected the 4 fuses for these lights; all fine.

Now I suspect there is a relay with fried contacts. However, I can't locate a reference to such a relay in the wiring diagrams, and the list of relays in the panel under the dash next to your left foot has no clue either.

Does anyone know if there is relay for both high and low beams, or even one for each? If so where is it located?

Last edited by Jglowien; 02-16-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
Old 02-20-2019, 06:44 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Usually, the steering wheel stalk is the culprit. Wears out over time. Not a really hard DIY job, but keep a close eye on it. If the brights don't come on right away, I would open up the four stalk assembly and get a closer look at the contacts on the low/high beam stalk.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Jglowien is an unknown quantity at this point
Fixed the light switch in the dash ...

It was a bear to disassemble and re-assemble, but that switch in the dash was the actual culprit. Oddly, there was only minimal cleaning of the contacts with 600 grit paper. Not the usual heavily blackened contacts I expected.

This was the second repair of a switching problem that initially pointed to that steering column 4-stalk switch, but turned out not to be. The first one was the brake light/cruise control no-op problem when I got the car. The culprit there was the small push-button switch on the brake peddle. Same fix ... take it apart and clean/repair the contacts.

I am not looking forward to any more switch rehab ...