996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Sealing the oil pan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 01:26 PM
996-Sam is on a distinguished road
Sealing the oil pan

Hi everyone, I’m replacing the sealant material on the oil pan and after cleaning everything thing, I’m ready to reinstall the oil pan. I’m planning on using Loctite SI 5900 t o seal the the pan where it mates with the engine block. I’m planning on applying a single thread of sealant before reinstalling, but I was wondering if I should also spread the Loctite sealant by hand before I put everything together. Are there any experts that can help me with this question?

Thanks,
— Sam

Last edited by 996-Sam; 06-30-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 AM
JTT911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996-Sam
Hi everyone, I’m replacing the sealant material on the oil pan and after cleaning everything thing, I’m ready to reinstall the oil pan. I’m planning on using Loctite SI 5900 t o seal the the pan where it mates with the engine block. I’m planning on applying a single thread of sealant before reinstalling, but I was wondering if I should also spread the Loctite sealant by hand before I put everything together. Are there any experts that can help me with this question?

Thanks,
— Sam

Less is more in this case. Too much sealant and it can break off inside and plug up oil screen. There is much made of applying this sealant but the mating surfaces are very good so not much sealing is actually required in my experience. I’ve had mine off a couple of times and just smeared a thin coat in with my finger. Zero leaks either time.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:11 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Yeah as long as both surfaces are clean any decent silicone sealer will be fine.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
No direct experience but there are YT videos of Porsche engine assembly and the sealant is applied by machine. A fairly narrow bead is laid down and encircles bolt holes that go through the plate.

Not sure Loctite stuff is the right stuff to use. Porsche lists a specific sealant for this job along with sealing the cam covers to the heads and for use in other places in the engine assembly.

No need to *smear* the stuff. It gets "squished" out and forms the seal. The trick is to install the sump plate without any sideways motion or fumbling around which can compromise the bead and result in a leak.

As is the case with the cam shaft cover so is I believe the case with the oil sump/pan and that is the sealant does not form a layer of sealant between the two mating parts but fills in all the voids, very shallow depressions left by the machining operation. The block bottom and sump plate are in a large percentage in metal to metal contact with the seal created by the metal to metal contact with the very shallow gaps/voids between these metal to metal contact areas filled in with sealant.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:35 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
1mm line, then dab with your finger to spread it out. As others have mentioned, don't put too much!