996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Turn Signal Replacement Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 07:39 AM
robkat is an unknown quantity at this point
996 Turn Signal Replacement Issue

I had a broken turn signal stalk. The inside had cracked so it would not stay clicked over or reset. I ordered a new 4-column stalk abd replaced everything... Now my 2 lower stalks do not work. I cannot use the selector for the screen nor the cruise control, neither seem to work. Turn signals and washer ones work fine.

Any ideas?

2003 911 Convertible

Old 09-26-2019, 10:33 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
When you say you purchased a *new* 4-column stalk, did you purchase it from a local dealership or an official Porsche parts retailer online? If so, I'd contact them about a return. The 4 stalk part is pretty much plug and play. Therefore, I'd contact them for a replacement.

Question, when you installed the unit, did you unplug the negative ground on the battery?

Old 09-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Okay, hopefully this was done right... It was from a used parts retailer, but in near mint condition. It's been a long time since I ordered and i'm sure past warranty date or return. Secondly, yes the battery was disconnected from what I remember. I had a mobile mechanic install, but he took it off again to ensure connections were solid. We are both stumped because you are right, it seems plug and play, but i started thinking some of these had 2 stalks, 3 stalks, or 4 so maybe something was not connected right.

My old car was 4 so I bought direct fit replacement.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by robkat
Okay, hopefully this was done right... It was from a used parts retailer, but in near mint condition. It's been a long time since I ordered and i'm sure past warranty date or return. Secondly, yes the battery was disconnected from what I remember. I had a mobile mechanic install, but he took it off again to ensure connections were solid. We are both stumped because you are right, it seems plug and play, but i started thinking some of these had 2 stalks, 3 stalks, or 4 so maybe something was not connected right.

My old car was 4 so I bought direct fit replacement.
In my opinion, the part is defective. Now, you have a couple of options: 1.) return it or... 2.) open up the electronics to begin tracing the source of the problem. It can be simply broken solder joints or a disconnected wire. That can take time.. a lot of time! If it were me, I'd return it unless you got a steal on it.

I just replaced my light switch. While it was tempting to save money and purchase one used, I didn't want the hassle and bought a replacement from Porsche. The 4 column stalk unit is similar in that it is both electronic and mechanical which means it usually wears out from the physical use on switching it on and off.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:43 PM
hmm, never occurred to me to take it apart and look at the internals and wiring but your right. Simplicity, ha. Yeah, returning might not be an option, it was through eBay and was about 6 months ago, just had no one to help install until recently. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by robkat
hmm, never occurred to me to take it apart and look at the internals and wiring but your right. Simplicity, ha. Yeah, returning might not be an option, it was through eBay and was about 6 months ago, just had no one to help install until recently. Thanks for the info.

Ouch. Frustrating isn't it? That's why I just say screw it and buy part news that are difficult to install. For example, last year my coolant expansion tank sprung a leak. After reading how hard it was to install (i.e. lower engine, flush coolant, remove fuel and coolant hoses, etc.) and the horror stories with aftermarket tanks, I decided to purchase a genuine Porsche part. Yes it was a lot more money, but at least I don't have to do it twice.

Cheers!

Old 09-30-2019, 05:48 PM
JTT911 is on a distinguished road
You can remove your computer stalk from your old one (assuming it was working) and simply install on the new one. They are a simple two screw installation. This would at least eliminate if it is indeed the stalk or a wiring issue.