996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

tt cab quandry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 02:48 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
tt cab quandry

a freind with a TT equipped with: X50, Ruf exhaust and suspension, a short shifter, and 19" wheels was gracious enough to allow me an aggressive drive in his car today as i ponder (hard) the TT cab. this is the third one i drove. the first was a pig tt tip, the second was a stock 6 spd, and his was the third.

the second one seriously raised my heart beat purely because of the power, but seemed to have over boosted steering, felt heavy, had a very sloppy (stock) shifter, and exhibited noticeable turbo lag. so i was very anxious to try out a tt with most if not all of the above remedied. his steering felt so very much better with his 19" wheels (firmed it up considerably - and necessarily). the handling was much better and the car didn't seem to feel as heavy as the last (though his PSS9s set in the middle were still way too soft for me personally). the sound was quite pleasing and the short shifter was much better. that said, while the car just had unlimited amounts of grip, it just felt like it was doing everything for me whereas my 996 c2 seems more engaging of the driver. there is no such thing as throttle steer in the tt IMO as the AWD does it all for you. my car "feels" as though it accomplishes everything the tt does in the twisties, but it also communicates much better with me and i feel i'm more responsible for what transpires in the twisties than i am in a tt.

i'm going to go ahead and get the tt cab, lighten hell out of it, correct the suspension, exhaust, shifter, (and hopefully the overboosted steering) and hope it doesn't make me long for 2WD. if i wasn't totally sick of black exterior and grey interior though, i think i'd probably just supercharge my car. however, i'm not sure the power exhibited in the tt isn't too much for a rear wheel drive c2.

ps. the sport seats SUCK for lateral support. they don't feel ANY better than the stock seats IMO. anyone who drives these cars aggressively really should see how the other half lives - ie: GT3 seats.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:12 PM
C4C_leon is on a distinguished road
Smile

Ben,
If you miss the feel of the C2 after you get the Turbo Cab (TTC?) I'll be happy to take the TTC off your hands and exchange it for a C2. You can even pick the color...

Old 07-28-2003, 03:30 AM
Brian in MA is on a distinguished road
It seems to me like you may be looking for the answer in the wrong place.

If I read your needs right you want 1) power, 2) connected steering, and 3) a tossable ride that you can control.

Maybe the TT end of the 996 spectrum takes you too far adrift of those and a TT Cab even further right.

Why not take the "less is more" advice of Gertrude Stein and buy a RUF 3600S ?? It has the 320 HP of the 911 in the midsize, tossable Boxster layout. It's expensive at $90K, but not compared to the TT Cab at $124K to start plus the mods you mention.

Just my $.02 of course.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:55 AM
"Why not take the "less is more" advice of Gertrude Stein and buy a RUF 3600S ??"

Yep, I bet that is a fantastic car. However, I've grown to love the driving dynamics of the 40/60 weight of a 911.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:23 AM
RJFabCab is on a distinguished road
Hmmm...

Overboosted steering. Overweight. AWD. Turbo lag.

It sounds like you're a tossable C2 kind of guy who loves cabs. Keep the sweet ride you have now and get a GT-3!

By the time you buy the TT Cab, strip it, modify it, tune it, etc... your costs will be sky high. Bite the bullet and keep the cab for sunny spirited driving and take the GT-3 out when you really want to have some fun!

Old 07-29-2003, 05:58 AM
Antonio_Spain will become famous soon enough
GT3 Seats Pics on a Cab

I have a 03 C2 Cab, with RoW 030, and I am seriously thinking in GT3 seats. Can someone post pictures of them in a Cab.

Thanks,

Antonio.

Old 07-29-2003, 07:34 AM

Old 07-29-2003, 08:56 AM
doncapecod
Sooooo nice!!!

Old 07-29-2003, 09:11 AM
Antonio_Spain will become famous soon enough
Thanks a lot Ben.

I think I am going to buy them. They look great and I use rear seats only ocasionally. My kids are 14 and 8.

Last question : ARE YOU REALLY SELLING YOUR CAR: IT IS A BEAUTY. DON´T DO IT.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi Antonio.

With a cab, back seat entry is not a problem (with the top down) at all. I throw golf clubs back there all the time.

Thanks re: my car. Yes I think I am selling it. I bet I end up having regrets eventually though since it is set up so very perfect for me.

Old 07-30-2003, 04:21 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Ben, Nice choice in seats.