996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Schnell VS B&M Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Gcookie is on a distinguished road
Talking Schnell VS B&M Short Shifter

I just pull my Schnell short shifter out and installed a B&M shifter. I also installed the AP linkage. There is quite a bit of difference! The B&M shifter is much smoother. I'm not sure the of the value of the AP linkage, but my shifts seem much more direct. With the Schnell I would miss the gate on 3rd about 10-15% of the time and there was no consistency in feel between gears;some gears easy some hard to shift. For those out there looking for a short shifter B&M seems to be the only one that you will be happy with.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:06 PM
xdream is on a distinguished road
So far my Schnell SSK seems to be doing fine, been in the car almost a year now. Have not tested the B&M to know the difference. Glad it worked out for you.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
The B&M unit feels great!

Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 AM
ZX9RCAM is on a distinguished road
I had my B&M unit installed this weekend, along with the AP linkage as well
(Thanks Dan)......only got to drive about 60 miles. I hated it the first 1-2
minutes (till I got used to it) & now love it....

Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !Tyler2000S4 Is a GOD !
What's the AP linkage?

I had my B&M installed about a month ago. Do you guys have any side to side movement when the engaged in a gear?, i.e. in 3rd gear, the shifter will move 1/2" to either side.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:55 PM
bao
bao is on a distinguished road
I got the schnell installed along with the ap shift linkage, and it's not as smooth as i would like it. It feels like going into 3rd and 2nd gear that i have to force it in a little. Not much but a little, you can feel the difference. I think i'm going to get the B& M and try it out.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:51 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
I love my B&M.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fortyounce
I love my B&M.
We love your avatar.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
We love your avatar.
Thanks Eric. We love your bumper plugs. Speaking of which, I misplaced my new set. Grrrrh. I need to find 'em. My car feels naked without them.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I had the $99 special from ebay for a year now (B&M knockoff)... I was happy with it. An occasional mishift, but we all do that from time to time. Then I took a closer look at it and the shifter was leaning to the left (rather than in the middle) when it was in neutral. **** that I am I went and bought the B&M SSK. I compared both and the shaft on the ebay shifter was mounted 180deg from the B&M (causing it to lean left), so I took it apart and mounted it the way B&M has it. There is no difference between the two as far as dimensions are concerned. I guess thats how they can sell it so cheap (and aside that they are prob made in china), because they are mounting the shaft "differently" w/o getting hassle from B&M. I installed the B&M and shifted similar to the knockoff. the B&M sits center position in neutral, (after changing the shaft 180Deg on the knockoff, it sit center as well). The biggest difference between the two, B&M seems to have a higher quality in the bushings, my knockoff shifter already has a small "play" in it after one year off use because of cheap bushings... I'm gonna open up the B&M next year to see if there is any play, we'll see how it holds up... so anyone wants to buy a slightly used pair of Shifters (wink)?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 PM
amestyan is on a distinguished road
B&M short shift kit on my car is great

Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by amestyan
B&M short shift kit on my car is great
I had my B&M short shift kit installed by Sharky. Night and day difference. It's much more percise and I know when I am in gear, plus the throw is much shorter. Much more effort to shift though (expected).

Old 11-22-2006, 08:14 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Had mine (B&M) installed about 2 weeks ago. Its like night and day, but dosent feel as short as it was the first couple of days, prolly cause Im so used to it already.