996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Yes I tried to SEARCH already! - ECU Flash/Chip question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:28 AM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Yes I tried to SEARCH already! - ECU Flash/Chip question

OK..guys need some advice. What are some good options for a EDU upgrade or chip for my SPECIFIC CAR? 2001 C2 Cab?

Basically, I just want the car to not cut off at 7K. I want to be able to shift when I want to. So...therefore I dont need the best chip or software out there...because I want to keep the car as is...which is 100% stock. I dont even want intake. I have exhaust already...so that part is taken care of.

What do you guys suggest for a nice basic upgrade that will make the car run more efficient and remove the engine cut off at 7K?

Also would love a local So Cal shop to do the work. I would like to drive in...BAM..and drive home all set in one day. None of this remove my ECU and send somewhere.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 10-28-2006, 02:39 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Talk To Arling... 20c4s Int He Board He Is Located In West L.a.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:41 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Giac ecu upgrade, You can return it back to stock when you give it to the valet etc, and press button to return it to performance level.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:17 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
If Porsche designed the car to cut off at a certain RPM, wouldn't it be best to leave it at that? I'm not so sure you should risk screwing up your motor just so you can shift at 7.5-8K

Old 10-28-2006, 09:42 AM
ZX9RCAM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by s14roller
If Porsche designed the car to cut off at a certain RPM, wouldn't it be best to leave it at that? I'm not so sure you should risk screwing up your motor just so you can shift at 7.5-8K
Evidently he is MUCH more cautious than I am & NEVER hit the
rev limiter accidently.........

Old 10-28-2006, 11:23 AM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
I thought that the chips for the NA cars were nominal increases at best?

Old 10-28-2006, 01:14 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JNRSM3
I thought that the chips for the NA cars were nominal increases at best?
see...good to know. Maybe its not worth it....

Old 10-28-2006, 01:39 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
I think GIAC is a good option. if you go to vividracing.com, they have upsolute a nd claim 22 hp and 15 lb/ft of tq for $700, someone should look into that chip.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 PM
calicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the rough
But does the chip just shift the power around to make PEAK power & torque look more attractive? i.e. Less power in other areas of the curve, but higher peaks. Anybody have a before / after dyno?

Old 10-28-2006, 01:53 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by calicolin
But does the chip just shift the power around to make PEAK power & torque look more attractive? i.e. Less power in other areas of the curve, but higher peaks. Anybody have a before / after dyno?
all i have is the webpage, no dyno charts. prob contact dan from vivid to get them. heres the link anyway.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/25295

Old 10-28-2006, 01:56 PM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
I think GIAC is a good option. if you go to vividracing.com, they have upsolute a nd claim 22 hp and 15 lb/ft of tq for $700, someone should look into that chip.
isn't the GIAC flash 3x more costly than the $700 upsolute?

Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by JNRSM3
isn't the GIAC flash 3x more costly than the $700 upsolute?
yes, i believe the giac reflash goes for about $2k. oh yea, the numbers i posted are for the 3.4 Ltr 911. the 3.6 Ltr 911 get 25 hp and 22 lb/ft of tq. heres the link to that one.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/25301

Old 10-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by calicolin
it says on the site that they imporve low end torque, so i dont think you are ONLY getting high end hp, but also more low end, and if this is so, i would imagine they would give u decent power thoughout, at least that would be ideal instead of taking away from our low end and giving top end hp.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:07 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
A-Image,
Don't exactly know why you would like to rev past the stock factory setting for a stock motor so, I will not address that part.
What I can address is a couple of other points that came up after your post.
- Don't know if a $700 Upsolute flash or a GIAC flash is your answer as on a stock NA car it may not be worth the money spent.
- If you decide to purchase the flash both can be done in a day in most cases. However, there are some differences: On some models the Upsolute may still require you to remove ECU to solder a chip. The GIAC only requires a download.
- Speaking from experience, decided to go with the GIAC for the following reasons:
1. No soldering
2. Solid reputation and results
3. You get what you pay for
4. Typically, you can't expect too much more from a GT3 as the factory has done a great job with the engineering of the power output of this car. Therefore, I decided only to reflash only after installing a good reputable full exhaust system (Utilizing a GEMBALLA) consisting of: Headers, 100 cell cats, larger dia. pipes and free flow mufflers. Uncorked the intake only with a K&N.
5. Which brings us to addressing the results:
- Smoother e-gas mapping. You can feel more response overall.
- Regained mid-range torque (that I lost after the exhaust swap) vs. stock
- Only slightly stronger top end vs. stock
- Dyno results echo the seat of the pants estimate: Estimate the flash added @ 10HP, don't know how much torque added but it is more noticable than the hp gains.
GIAC has a 30day $$ back guarantee. I decided to keep the GIAC reflash. Car now feels closer to the stock power and torque curve, only fatter throughout the entire rev band. Also, kept the stock mapping for red line at 8,200 RPM.
Hope that this helps to answer your questions.
P.S. This is too is my first P-car. Some people throw some bad attitude but, for the most part people are very nice. Hey, the ladies like it even though they don't know exactly what it is. They only know that it is a P-car.
Enjoy it.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by D-UberCars
A-Image,
Don't exactly know why you would like to rev past the stock factory setting for a stock motor so, I will not address that part.
What I can address is a couple of other points that came up after your post.
- Don't know if a $700 Upsolute flash or a GIAC flash is your answer as on a stock NA car it may not be worth the money spent.
- If you decide to purchase the flash both can be done in a day in most cases. However, there are some differences: On some models the Upsolute may still require you to remove ECU to solder a chip. The GIAC only requires a download.
- Speaking from experience, decided to go with the GIAC for the following reasons:
1. No soldering
2. Solid reputation and results
3. You get what you pay for
4. Typically, you can't expect too much more from a GT3 as the factory has done a great job with the engineering of the power output of this car. Therefore, I decided only to reflash only after installing a good reputable full exhaust system (Utilizing a GEMBALLA) consisting of: Headers, 100 cell cats, larger dia. pipes and free flow mufflers. Uncorked the intake only with a K&N.
5. Which brings us to addressing the results:
- Smoother e-gas mapping. You can feel more response overall.
- Regained mid-range torque (that I lost after the exhaust swap) vs. stock
- Only slightly stronger top end vs. stock
- Dyno results echo the seat of the pants estimate: Estimate the flash added @ 10HP, don't know how much torque added but it is more noticable than the hp gains.
GIAC has a 30day $$ back guarantee. I decided to keep the GIAC reflash. Car now feels closer to the stock power and torque curve, only fatter throughout the entire rev band. Also, kept the stock mapping for red line at 8,200 RPM.
Hope that this helps to answer your questions.
P.S. This is too is my first P-car. Some people throw some bad attitude but, for the most part people are very nice. Hey, the ladies like it even though they don't know exactly what it is. They only know that it is a P-car.
Enjoy it.
I dont think upsolute does the soldering thing anymore, i think its all downloaded as well.

I have a question for you, since i have a gemballa exhaust also. do you get any type of throttle let of resonance at 2-3K. i seem to get a slight rattle/resonance when i let off or when i am in the 2-3K rpm range. i called gemballa usa and they told me that it is normal. have you experienced this or anyone else with any other type of exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yes I tried to SEARCH already! - ECU Flash/Chip question