996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Ride Height Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
Ride Height Issue?

Here's the scoop. I've had my 2004 C2 Cup AeroKit II for almost 6 months. It came with the sport suspension package M030 option. This includes the american spec strusts, stabalizers, and springs. I ordered the M030 ROW Euro Springs from Gert a month after delivery and had them installed.

After more than ample settle time the car doesn't ride as low as I had expected, especially in the back. Several people on 6Speed have commented that it looks jacked up in the back or it looks lile a rally car. Why has this happened?

I know a few people with the same install that have much better results. My road to fender measurements are 26 in the front and 26 1/4 in the rear. Is this right?

It has also been proposed that the compensation plates were not removed in install but this would only account for 4-5mm which is not very much.

If anyone has a 2003/2004 C2 with Euro springs on an M030 Sport Package, please measure your ride heights as illustrated above. I really would like to compare notes and get to the bottom of this. I am considering the X74 if there is no solution to this problem.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:13 AM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
For same amount of $$$ why not go with Pss9?

Old 02-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Britt,

I did not even know you had the ROW springs on there. The ROW system on my C2 lowered it by ~ one pinky or ~ 10-15mm at the front. Did you also do the matching struts? They are a bit shorter for use with the shorter springs. If you really want lower I would go for the X74 suspension as its a factory designed and tested system, no risk of alignment or warranty issues there. The PSS9 system also sounds pretty nice but would be a bit more involved for setup (IMO).

Posted for the forum even though I just hung up the phone with you.

Last edited by Sloth; 02-11-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:18 AM
orlando_deke is on a distinguished road
Britt,
I have the X74 and absolutely love it. No issue with warranty as it is factory. The ride hide is very GT3 like (25 1/4 - 25 1/2) and still not completely settled out. I absolutely love it. The car feels like it is on rails. The car was at the Orlando gathering this past weekend (02 Carrera Coupe - Silver). You will not be dissapointed. Make sure you get the engine protection plate.
BTW-Thanks for all of your hard work for pulling the event together this weekend!!

Old 02-11-2004, 08:22 AM
orlando_deke... Check PM

Old 02-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by orlando_deke
The ride hide is very GT3 like (25 1/4 - 25 1/2) and still not completely settled out.
I will have to take some measurements for comparison. I assume those numbers are from the ground to the highest point of the fender lip?

Old 02-11-2004, 10:10 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
All I can tell you is my RoW equipped C2 measures 26.0" on all 4 corners. There is a built in tolerance of +-10mm with the springs, so you are about right.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Banned
eride996 is on a distinguished road
hey greyghost,

i had the exact same issue. i also had the M030 with german spec / setup, and my car still looked like a 4x4. it did drop it slightly, but nothing significant. i was pissed. a month later went with h&r coilover, much better but not perfect. at least i can adjust the ride height as low or as high as i want to go, but i recommend JIC coilovers, i test drove it and they where much nicer, plus it has both compression and rebound adjustments that make a huge difference. 16 different settings.

hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:47 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Go with the x74 or pss9 setup - the ROW was a complete waste of money in respect to cosmetic enhancement for me as well.

The car did handle 100% better with the ROW but I never got the drop i assumed I would - still looked way to high

Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have a contact for getting the X74?

Old 02-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Ask Gert, he has the X74

Old 02-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the great input guys. I thikn I am going to go with the X74 install. Gert won't have them till the end of the month but I'm all over it. It should be the ride height I've been looking for.

Kirby, i saw this beautiful shot on your site and couldn't help myself.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Britt, THANKS!!

Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 PM
oalvarez will become famous soon enough
well, i might as well opine. i just had the RoW M030 installed and it did lower the auto, albeit the "gap" is not tight between tire and fender tip, and it's only 15miles old. i don't blame you Grey, if you want the even "lowered" look, the RoW M030 is not the way to get there, although most other alternatives come with some risks that you should be willing to accept. for street use, the x74 is not optimal, i'm sure you've read the posts. for track and lowering purposes it is. what I ( i repeat, "I") didn't want was to have to worry about every pothole and driveway that i travel over. i also knew that the car would never make the track. now, thats for me. most important was to keep the car with oem equip, the x74 would have sufficed in that department, but not without having to add an "engine plate" which to me read "danger." the other method of course would have been the PSS9 setup, but even that was much more $$ than what i wanted to spend ( i spent $2000 TOTAL for parts/dealer install and alignment). if you want the lowered look, why spend all that money on PSS9 when H&R springs/new shocks would suffice? if lowering is what you are after, and are not going to "track" the car, why spend that kind of money? if you only want LOW and improved firmness, and don't mind going aftermarket (non-oem), H&R would seem like a decent alternative.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:14 PM
mb996 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

greyghost -

I just had the x74 installed on my '03 C2 about 1 month ago (also bought from Gert). I had the same reservations about the RoW M030 and decided to chance the X74.

I agree with orlando_deke - it is perfect. It transforms the car. There is virtually no body roll, no lift on aggressive acceleration, little to no understeer. It is that good. It is firm but not punishing. You notice the firmness on sharp transitions (say, driving over your garage lip). And yes more shock is transmitted to the cabin. But it is not harsh.

The parts are very beefy, the stock rollbars in particular looked pretty wimpy in comparison.

I have never driven a C2 with RoW M030 nor a GT3 so I can not make any comparisons there.

As far as measurements - the car height measured from the ground to the highest point of the fender (approx the center line of each axle) is between 25 3/8" to 25 1/2".

I don't understand the angst over the x74 as a "daily driver." Unless you are used to a Lexus there is no issue with firmness that I have found. I have had no problem going over speedbumps at a reasonable speed. In fact due to the increased firmness there is little risk of bottoming out. Of course you can't pull up in a parking space with a curb stop. But if you are reasonably careful I don't think there is an issue.

Another possible downside is you have to be more careful going over road debris (for me, about 3/4" less clearance than before).

I did notice, just after installing (like 1 mile after) that there was a section of freeway where the ride was choppy, front-to-back. So clearly there was some type of oscillation due to the speed and road condition, but I have not driven that section since and I haven't experienced it elsewhere.

The best option is for you to try to drive someone else's if you can find someone in your area. Try posting on rennlist or funcarsonline for other opinions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ride Height Issue?