996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

general repair questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 PM
tweety is on a distinguished road
general repair questions

Hey-

I have had this 2003 Targa for about 6 weeks now and wonder how I lived without it. In that time I have had some warranty things done to it, RMS, top rattles, window smears from internal guides.
Aside from the RMS, the other items were and are in my head, cheap fixes.

I have until the end of March to commit to an extended warranty or go it alone and incur the costs myself. Warranties are expensive and so are some repairs but I wonder if in the long run if I should pass on the warranty as the costs may not be as much as the warranty purchase.
Any thoughts on this?

If we take the RMS leak happening out of warranty....how much is the fix?

What other possible 'major' repairs can or would be possible to this car in say, a three year ownership?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
yeah I here you that is tough, deciding ext warrenty. If you can swing it Id go for it. You can get RMS fixed about $700-$1200. Major repair...unless a new engine is not considered as major... then you should be fine. These cars are generaly dependable.

Edit:for the record I opted to go at it myself and so far its been to my advantage.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on the kind of miles you plan on driving per year... I'd say if it's getting more than lets say 6K per year get the coverage....

Just an opinion, but you asked for it.... right.

-Eli

Old 01-11-2007, 03:47 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
warranty would be aftermarket right? i'd skip it to avoid claim hassle

Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM
03targa03 is on a distinguished road
What kind of extended warranties have you guys gone with? My Factory Warranty just ended and wanted to get an extended warranty myself. What companies are good? How much should I be looking at spending?
Thanks

Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 PM
cdaniels is on a distinguished road
I vote to roll the dice and not get the extended warranty....over a 3-5 year period the warranty may be more than a possible repair....

Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
This is my daily driver so it will see a minimum of 12K miles a year. Again, she is an 03 model and as of this morning has just a tick over 22K on the clock.
I have had warrantied in the past that I was very happy to have had them and others that saw little if any service.
I have had the RMS done already and doubt that I would see the leak again any time soon.
I am skilled enough to do my own work if the explainations are clear. I have almost all the tools that Sears ever made but would have to get some things specific to this car. A lift is next on my list.
I am leaning more towards rolling the dice on this one.
Clutches I could probably do on my own if I had to, same with the RMS. We'll see. What other things are common failures? Anything mystical like electrical systems?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Gcookie is on a distinguished road
It's a tough call. Being your car from birth and your skills,you probably could do without. I bought a 02 with 30K and opted for a 3 year 60K warranty, cost was 2 grand. I wasn't sure how the car was driving with the previous owner. Right now, I think It was a waste of money. It doesn't cover the wear items, that is were your going to spend money.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
It's my recommendation to visit your local Porsche dealer to ask which company do they prefer.

Some companies out there will approve work just on the word of the Service Writer while others drag their feet. The Service writers usually know which are the best to use. . . .

Best to speak with the dealership you plan on taking your business to.

-Eli

Old 01-11-2007, 11:43 PM
viper501 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by djantlive
warranty would be aftermarket right? i'd skip it to avoid claim hassle
+1 by and large they do what they can to avoid paying claims.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Gcookie
It's a tough call. Being your car from birth and your skills,you probably could do without. I bought a 02 with 30K and opted for a 3 year 60K warranty, cost was 2 grand. I wasn't sure how the car was driving with the previous owner. Right now, I think It was a waste of money. It doesn't cover the wear items, that is were your going to spend money.

I tracked down and talked to the previous owner and by the sound of it, he is a lot like I am with my toys. Pamper most of the time with the occasional smack in the ***.
Wearable items are expected so that isn't an issue. I need to get the brake tool for this car but I think that I have enough stuff to work on nearly anything plus I have all the air tools as well. Like I mentioned, a lift is the last thing that I would need.
If a motor replacement came into my path I would stumble more but would and could get it done myself. I love a challenge.
I think that it is going to be that I will do my own thing and let the warranty pass by.
Mechanical I can do, electrical I am very weak on. I hope that nothing electrical will fail on me.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tweety
I tracked down and talked to the previous owner and by the sound of it, he is a lot like I am with my toys. Pamper most of the time with the occasional smack in the ***.
Wearable items are expected so that isn't an issue. I need to get the brake tool for this car but I think that I have enough stuff to work on nearly anything plus I have all the air tools as well. Like I mentioned, a lift is the last thing that I would need.
If a motor replacement came into my path I would stumble more but would and could get it done myself. I love a challenge.
I think that it is going to be that I will do my own thing and let the warranty pass by.
Mechanical I can do, electrical I am very weak on. I hope that nothing electrical will fail on me.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7065

You dont really need the brake pad tool, its nice but not neccesary. You can use a pair of channel locks.

As far as electrical is concern, its easy (but again, im also an electrical engineer). Get a book on basic electrical troubleshooting from Barnes & Nobel. It helps if you have the porsche schematics. You can buy the service/maintenance cd that you see on ebay from time to time. Like you I enjoy a challenge, if it boils down to replacing an engine, I think Im at a point in my life that I would want to tackle it myself...and I do have a lift that makes the experience more pleasurable.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I assumed on the brake pads deal was that the Porsche was going to be the same task as was for the VW, Audi and Mazda cars in the rear.
The piston on those cars don't go back by pressure. You have to push and turn the piston the dial it back in like a screw.
It was an assumption on my part. I have yet to get the wheels pulled off and take a peek. Been too cold out.