996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Coolant smell, I need to get rid of it...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 AM
FLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the rough
Coolant smell, I need to get rid of it...

Several weeks ago I had a coolant leak. The car is fix and running fine but I still have that smell when the car gets warm. How can I get rid of it?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
sanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the rough
are you sure it's still not leaking?

if not...i would start buy rinsing the area of where the leak was (unless it's the heater core area)

Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM
FLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the rough
I do not see any leaks. I did clean the area but the smell still there. Maybe I just have to put more miles and it will go away.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
evetentually, the smell will burn off, but if its winter for you it might take some time.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
I agree, it will take some time to burn off.
I had my overflow tank leak, I replaced it (what a ball ache that was) and the smell lasted for many weeks.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
I had the same smell - overflow onto hot exhaust and it burns off. Check your hoses though, the rubber will fatigue after a few years and start to crumble in the hot tropical climate. One of my hoses may have had a pinhole fissure in it before it burst at speed and blew coolant into the whole engine bay; the whole back of the car was spewing smoke. I had hoses replaced and discovered there was a factory update on the 1999 coolant reservoir, so updated that at the same time. Has been perfect since.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:40 PM
CLS
CLS will become famous soon enoughCLS will become famous soon enough
I had to replace a cracked coolant reservoir tank and it took a couple of tanks of gas worth of miles to burn off the leftover on the exhaust. I know what you mean it is kind of disconcerting after you fix it to still have the smell and your wondering if it really is fixed!

Old 02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by NIKAS
I had the same smell - overflow onto hot exhaust and it burns off. Check your hoses though, the rubber will fatigue after a few years and start to crumble in the hot tropical climate. One of my hoses may have had a pinhole fissure in it before it burst at speed and blew coolant into the whole engine bay; the whole back of the car was spewing smoke. I had hoses replaced and discovered there was a factory update on the 1999 coolant reservoir, so updated that at the same time. Has been perfect since.

This is what happend to me a few weeks ago. I saw smoke comming out but it was actually vapor. the hose was fine but a plastic connector broke and made a mess. I only use the car once or twice a week. Hopefully it will go away soon.