996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Virgin claybar detailing question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
tshack is on a distinguished road
Virgin claybar detailing question...

Can anyone shine some light onto the proper way to claybar a car. I found a dozen websites but want to make sure I do it right. Literally, the car is dirty, what do I buy and what are the steps I should take. The car hasnt had a professional detail in at least a year so it needs at least a claybar and some "swirl remover" and then wax, and then top coat...IM LOST.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Get a claybar and follow the instructions. I like Mother's california gold, but I'm sure the detailers on the forum will recommend their own.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Jurichar is on a distinguished road
I had the exact same problem w/ my 996, tons of swirl marks, and i did quite a bit of research and came up with the outline below. I'm by no means an expert, but i'll post some pics up as soon as the snow melts (michigan) i'm REALLY impressed with how it worked out

My steps went something like:
1)wash with dawn x2
2) meguires clay bar with spray detailer as lubricant (keep lightly rubbing until the car feels smooth)...dont drop the clay!!!
3) very light wash/rinse with brand new mitt
4)light polish i think i used turtle wax?!?
5) p21s paint clensing lotion (neat stuff, has an abrasive but it breaks down as you rub it into the paint)
6) Klasse all in one - i did one coat, its awesome stuff. Completely removes all traces of old cruddy wax buildup from rubber and plastic and adds an acrylic layer of protection
7) Klasse Sealant glaze - i waited 24 hour after the application of all in one and i put a REALLY thin layer on the car and wiped it off
8-11) repeat step 7 waiting 24 hour between each coat...
12) p21s wax...

Like i said, im no expert, but my car looks MUCH better than it ever did with the 25 other products i've tried.

Last edited by Jurichar; 04-10-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
you want incredible product at a great price... check out these guys www.griotsgarage.com . Some of the best stuff out there.

Wash your car
Clay bar with speed shine
machine polish stg2 then stg3
Best of show wax

All done.

pick up the Griots polisher.. it WONT burn your paint... never have to worry.. you don't want to see my garage with all of this product

but I do have a ton of trophies I have won thanks to this stuff!!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 AM
porschenut911 is on a distinguished road
Here are the steps:
1- Wash the car with Dawn

2- Clay the car, use plenty of lubricant and keep working the clay bar, DON'T DROP the clay bar or let it get dirty (Mother's would work)

3- Apply swirl remover

4- QC your work and then Apply Polish

5- Apply Rejex "You're not done until now, once you clay the car the paint is exposed to all elements so you need to seal it with either Rejex or Wax. You should do this in your garage and start in the morning until you get to step 5". I'd take a break and let it bond over night. Then move to step 6 if you want.
** Always apply Wax Over the Rejex, never Before.

6- Apply a second coat of Rejex or a fresh coat of Wax

7- To keep it clean, use a quick detailer or very mild car shampoo, using Dawn again will strip the wax.

8- Step back and snap a few pics and post them!

Last edited by porschenut911; 04-10-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Jurichar is on a distinguished road
lol everyone has a different regimen. I'm waiting for a zaino guy to pop up

Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 AM
miboxer96 is on a distinguished road
Are you guys using Dawn dishwashing soap? Why, and how much in a bucket? What does the dawn do that Maguairs gold coast soap won't?

When you polish, is it essential to apply the polish with an automatic applicator, or can you apply the polish by hand with an applicator pad? Is a microfiber towel sufficient to wipe off the polish?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
When you really want to start with a clean wax-free base to start with, dawn cuts thru it all. (to the point where you will run your fingers on the car and get the squeeeek). The regular car soaps are more designed NOT to cut thru the wax you may have on there.

In a regular bucket, you only need a good capfull in there........it goes a long way.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
porschenut911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
When you really want to start with a clean wax-free base to start with, dawn cuts thru it all. (to the point where you will run your fingers on the car and get the squeeeek). The regular car soaps are more designed NOT to cut thru the wax you may have on there.

In a regular bucket, you only need a good capfull in there........it goes a long way.
^^^ Well Said ^^^

It's basically a quick easy wax striper, you only use it when you want to detail the car, then always use car shampoos. I do everything by hand, no power tools, microfiber towels are perfect for the job and today's products come off easily by hand with min pressure applied. All you need to do is QC your work after each coat, take 15 min.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:53 PM
eight0zero is on a distinguished road
ZAINO!!!!!

1. wash car thoroughly with Z-7
2. clay bar car with Z-18
3. wash car with dawn
4. apply Z-PC (abrasive swirl remover - do not use everytime you polish the car) by hand or by orbital buffer (preferred method)
- wash car with Z-7
5. apply Z-5 with ZFX accelerator (reapply as desired)
- wash car with Z-7
6. apply Z-2 with ZFX accelerator (reapply as desired)

make sure youre using great towels... i use df towels - theyre the best!!! (alpine microfiber).
REMEMBER: your polish job is only as good as the towels you use.

*** this is a condensed version of the directions from my head.
refer to the zaino site for more information on application timing, temperature, humidity, and method...

hope that helps guys

Last edited by eight0zero; 04-11-2007 at 12:56 PM.