996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Custom Lower Console for AC Controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 PM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road
Custom Lower Console for AC Controls

Well i just installed a 7in screen so I had to move my AC controls to the bottom.

I hated not having a storage slot for my wallet or cell phone anymore so I decided to go to town on my extra lower console, ac control, and slot...

Here are the results. Its not PERFECT but it's good enough to go in for me...

I had to cut back the inside crossframe, shave down the top of the slot, and cut the bottom recession of the AC backing. I was suprised how big the AC housing is for so little guts.

-Keith

Old 05-25-2007, 09:39 PM
joesmoe is on a distinguished road
there's an ac trim for the lower part of the console that you can get from Porsche parts for $7. Wouldn't have needed to sacrifice anything

Otherwise, your job looks great!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Porsche only has a trim for the AC to sit in the bottom slot...I wanted it in the top slot so I could have a storage slot at the bottom...

The AC doesnt physically fit in the top spot and thats why i had to modify it. I know for a fact that porsche doesnt offer this location as an option for the AC. Ive only seen one other car with this setup and that was a custom fabrication by a sterio installer i believe...

-Keith

Old 05-25-2007, 11:05 PM
joesmoe is on a distinguished road
Ahh ... well it looks good! And yes, its better to have the AC that way and to leave the bottom slot open for things. Go with the layout much better than to have an empty tray between that and the radio

Old 05-26-2007, 12:24 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
nice pics and info, and really, it looks great! you obviously have a steady hand with the dremel.. lol

totally appreciate your taking the time to post, this should make it go faster for me now that I can visually see what to expect.

so after this weekend we'll make it THREE known pcars with this AC mod

IMO it just makes more layout sense to have the controls in the upper position...

Old 05-26-2007, 04:24 AM
I have been on a terror lately with mods...Wheels and CF door kit is next...

There is a little bit of lip from the AC not sitting as far forward as the slot...Im going to try and make some sort of spacer...

-Keith

Old 05-26-2007, 04:29 AM
tshack is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by icemann633

I hated not having a storage slot for my wallet or cell phone anymore so I decided to go to town on my extra lower console, ac control, and slot...

-Keith
Just put in Fabspeed bypass pipes and you wont need to have your cell phone with you. Too loud to hear yourself think sometimes. lol. Looks good with the CF batwing.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:11 AM
jlx
jlx is on a distinguished road
very, very well done.....

Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished up installing the kenwood 7100 head unit and AC mod.
From start until (almost) finish it took about 4 hours.

Man, it did take some grinding to get the AC control, pocket and trim to fit neatly.
Nothing major, just time consuming. If you look closely, the bottom pocket is sitting a bit forward of the AC control, bit of a lip there...
I am going to fix that up tomorrow along with a proper trim piece for around the Kenwood.
Just a bit more grinding needed on the top pocket lip and push it back 1/16" till it's flush.
Will have to use some epoxy to secure the bottom pocket in it's slot, I used screws on both sides of the AC control body to secure it to the console frame.
The AC control is pretty much empty inside so there are several points where you can pop in a screw through the sides of the chassis without fear of hitting any electronics.

The wires on the passenger floor are for the USB 2.0 and Ipod hookup to the Kenwood- Still thinking up a creative mounting spot for the USB hard drive and ipod.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 05-27-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Just finished up installing the kenwood 7100 head unit and AC mod.
From start until (almost) finish it took about 4 hours.

Man, it did take some grinding to get the AC control, pocket and trim to fit neatly.
Nothing major, just time consuming. If you look closely, the bottom pocket is sitting a bit forward of the AC control, bit of a lip there...
I am going to fix that up tomorrow along with a proper trim piece for around the Kenwood.
Just a bit more grinding needed on the top pocket lip and push it back 1/16" till it's flush.
Will have to use some epoxy to secure the bottom pocket in it's slot, I used screws on both sides of the AC control body to secure it to the console frame.
The AC control is pretty much empty inside so there are several points where you can pop in a screw through the sides of the chassis without fear of hitting any electronics.

The wires on the passenger floor are for the USB 2.0 and Ipod hookup to the Kenwood- Still thinking up a creative mounting spot for the USB hard drive and ipod.

So there is not a specific mount frame to relocate the HVAC unit to the 3rd bin?