996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road
How have you guys been dealing with skipping through MP3 folders one by one?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Newport- the universal trim plate that came with my Kenwood saved me quite a bit of cut time since the center hole was already cut out. just needed to measure and cut the outside edges. and the thickness was perfect! Thinner than the Metra but not too thin.

hey why not upgrade to the 7100 w/ the integrated NAV? It works beautifully! No need to hook up the VSS or reverse wire either.
I was not that much of a NAV fan but I have to say, it is brilliantly implemented on the 7100.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 05-29-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
yep- one by one...

Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by xdream
That's true, I forgot about that shifter. I have a 6 speed so it's not as bad. How do you like the Kenwood nav so far?
I like it A LOT! It sounds great, plays great, and the NAV integration with the music player is brilliant. Overall menus are easy to use / not a huge learning curve.
I like it even more now that I loaded Icemann's custom Porsche background on the screen... heh.

minor detraction is the blue lighting on the button lights. wish they were orange!

anyway- hopefully I'll be able to pop down and show it to you soon!

Last edited by p0rsch3; 05-29-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Newport- the universal trim plate that came with my Kenwood saved me quite a bit of cut time since the center hole was already cut out. just needed to measure and cut the outside edges. and the thickness was perfect! Thinner than the Metra but not too thin.

hey why not upgrade to the 7100 w/ the integrated NAV? It works beautifully! No need to hook up the VSS or reverse wire either.
I was not that much of a NAV fan but I have to say, it is brilliantly implemented on the 7100.
Because I already own the G510 Nav unit so no need to get the 7100...I can get the 7019 and have the same thing....

Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 PM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road
yep- one by one...
I made a post about a solution to this...Its in the off-topic forum. I am reformatting my laptop for vista right now but basically you burn the MP3 folder as a DVD Video and where you would normally have a scene selection, you have the ability to select the indivdual folders/albums...

Old 05-30-2007, 12:43 AM
newport- yeah, if the functonality is the same (I've never had a chance to see the 7019 1st hand and compare to the 7100) then I agree that would be the lowest cost path..

Old 05-30-2007, 05:30 PM
flash80 is on a distinguished road
awesome write-up. I will be installing my 7100 this weekend. I didn't even notice the trim piece until you mentioned it, thanks! Too bad I already bought the Metra ABS piece, oh well.

Did you use a wiring harness? I bought the VW/Audi one for Bose, and I've read that it should work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 PM
996 Kenwood NAV trim template

If you were not fortunate enough to buy a double-din unit that comes with the nice big universal trim plate, I traced out and scanned the trim template that I made for my Kenwood NAV.

Download and print it out, it is a 1:1 copy.

Lay the template on a piece of ABS and use a sharp pick to mark your corner holes through the template into the front-side of your ABS blank. -Only exception here is if you use a piece of the Metra ABS sheet, as it is already scored on the back side. You will have to cut from the back along the scores.

Keep in mind that this is a tracing of the original template.
When you trace an object, the outside line of the tracing grows slightly. Therefore, when you make your corner marks, make marks based on the inside edges of the line and not on the outer edge.
For the center hole cut and the outside cut, the 'inside edges' of the line are the edges facing to the center of the paper.

For the outside edge initial cut, I would advise cutting 1/4" larger all the way around and then making a final cut to the outside edges based on your positioning of the NAV in the dash and any other alignment irregularities.

You can also use this template to make the blank 'stealth' plate to cover up your NAV.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
template.pdf (72.3 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by p0rsch3; 05-30-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Flash, very cool- good luck with the install and post pics!!
No I did not use the wire harness adapters, I used red and blue wire taps from Radio shack. I did not want to cut the wires in the OEM harness, and the scotch-lock wire taps are pretty easy to use and can be removed later on.
You will need a non-amplified VW/Audi/Porsche antenna adapter, $10 from any local car audio shop.

What MY is your car, and do you have the bose system? Just use the wiring guide for the OEM stereo that is inside the pcar owner's manual.
If you have the bose system, there is an undocumented (black w/red stripe) single wire on plug C3 that is the remote power turn on for the bose amplifier. You will need to hook this wire up to the remote power (blue) wire on the Kenwood.
C1 and C2 are the CD changer plugs, tape those up and out of the way.
Hook up the speaker wire outputs from the Kenwood the the speaker wire leads on the OEM harness (brown plug I believe, has all twisted-pair speaker wires).
Ground the parking brake wire from the Kenwood to the harness ground to bypass the video lockout while driving.
You do not need to hook up the reverse wire or mess with a VSS wire.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 05-30-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
you did a nice job! keep up the good work!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:54 PM
flash80 is on a distinguished road
Flash, very cool- good luck with the install and post pics!!
No I did not use the wire harness adapters, I used red and blue wire taps from Radio shack. I did not want to cut the wires in the OEM harness, and the scotch-lock wire taps are pretty easy to use and can be removed later on.
You will need a non-amplified VW/Audi/Porsche antenna adapter, $10 from any local car audio shop.

What MY is your car, and do you have the bose system? Just use the wiring guide for the OEM stereo that is inside the pcar owner's manual.
If you have the bose system, there is an undocumented (black w/red stripe) single wire on plug C3 that is the remote power turn on for the bose amplifier. You will need to hook this wire up to the remote power (blue) wire on the Kenwood.
C1 and C2 are the CD changer plugs, tape those up and out of the way.
Hook up the speaker wire outputs from the Kenwood the the speaker wire leads on the OEM harness (brown plug I believe, has all twisted-pair speaker wires).
Ground the parking brake wire from the Kenwood to the harness ground to bypass the video lockout while driving.
You do not need to hook up the reverse wire or mess with a VSS wire.
Awesome...thanks for the tips. I'm pretty excited, I've been without Nav for awhile and I'm getting pretty tired of using googlemaps all the time. I will document my progress.

p.s. I have a 02 with the Bose, luckily no MOST to deal with. I've heard that the Metra wiring harness works, but I will keep everyone posted.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Dub-U! is on a distinguished road
That is sweet!
Any owners with MOST do a similar upgrade? Did you have to redo all the wiring?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Dub-U!
That is sweet!
Any owners with MOST do a similar upgrade? Did you have to redo all the wiring?
Since the MOST bus is fiber-optic between the head unit and the amplifier, I would imagine the you would have to re-wire the aftermarket head unit to the speakers directly.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM
flash- good luck with the install- post pics!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff