996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff

Old 07-31-2007, 12:03 PM
MAD CAT is on a distinguished road
Great job pOrsch3!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Lothar is on a distinguished road
Dude nice work! I just called my neighbor over to take a look at your install pix!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys - I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Amazing what you can do with a dremel and a lot of patience.. lol

Old 05-31-2008, 10:19 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Thanks guys - I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Amazing what you can do with a dremel and a lot of patience.. lol
yep, nice install. sometimes when you do it yourself you know it being done rright.

jorge

Old 06-04-2008, 06:52 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
That is a clean install! Thanks for the step by step install I am doing mine next week so know i can refrence your DYI.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
vdeleon is on a distinguished road
i just installed the dnx8120 folowing your recomendations but i have a question...were do you connect the green hand brake wire. so that the video could work. i donot want to take apart the hand brake in order to find the switch. please help....

Old 06-07-2008, 10:32 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
^ On my DNX7100 I just connected it to ground. Done!
Yours should be similar.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
TINS is on a distinguished road
I've got an '03 TT (Bose Most system, unfortunately) and I am installing a Kenwood 8120. I'd like to keep the Bose speakers. I'm aware that I can't use the OEM amp and was hoping to power the speakers with the amp in the Kenwood unit. My installer tells me that the front speakers are 2 ohm and therefore not compatible. Furthermore the Bose sub woofers in the back deck are 1 ohm and really not compatible.
Is he right? Anybody found a solution to this? I'd hate to have to replace all the speakers.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by TINS
I've got an '03 TT (Bose Most system, unfortunately) and I am installing a Kenwood 8120. I'd like to keep the Bose speakers. I'm aware that I can't use the OEM amp and was hoping to power the speakers with the amp in the Kenwood unit. My installer tells me that the front speakers are 2 ohm and therefore not compatible. Furthermore the Bose sub woofers in the back deck are 1 ohm and really not compatible.
Is he right? Anybody found a solution to this? I'd hate to have to replace all the speakers.
Yep he's correct about the speakers. Most car amps play well with 4 ohm speakers (the norm), and some of the better amps can handle 2ohm.
1ohm is just shy of a direct short and will fry most amps.

So, either change the speakers or maybe find a pre-MOST bose Porsche amp - I wonder if that would plug in the same to the speakers as the MOST amp?

It's a shame no one has come out with a MOST adapter to the Bose amp (and other fiber optic input amps) that would allow RCA-level input from an aftermarket head unit. -Like MoBridge or Dension for a head unit instead of an ipod.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks- One of the most helpful threads I've found

Guess I'll hunt for a pre-MOST amp first. If unsuccessful it looks like new speaks and 4x the install cost... easy come easy go

Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 PM
TINS- If you go this route, please let us know if a pre-MOST amp will fit the speaker and power connectors same as the MOST amp. That would make swapping head units much easier if it works!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
p0rsch3-

I contacted the local Porsche dealer to order a pre-MOST amp. There are about 4 amps listed in the parts catalog and they were uncertain as to which one would be pre-MOST.

They have asked that I look at the part number on the amp to confirm. So I in turn ask if you would be willing to read the part number off the amp in your car. This will insure ordering the correct amp.

I'm less worried about the connectors. If they are the same great...if not it won't be to difficult to splice a new connector on. I'll order the connector(s) at the same time I order the amp (can always return it if it is unnecessary)

I'll be sure to post results.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
TINS- I'd love to help, but I've sold my 996. Perhaps one of our 6speed brothers can assist?

Love to see how this works out- If it does, also wondering if this solution could apply to 997 cars.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Do you still have record of the VIN? The dealer expects he can use that to order the correct amp.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Hey TINS, I was wondering where you got with this? I'm looking to get the Kenwood 8120. I also got the bose system and not looking to change the speakers.

Great DIY porsch3. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff