996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
TINS is on a distinguished road
Here is the link to the thread I started to focus on this topic, I've listed fairly specific background and results. I notice that you are in Boston. By way of a reference I had the work done at Tweeter in Framingham. The installer there is John. He is a very meticulous guy that truly cares about the work he performs (increasingly uncommon these days). I recommend him highly. Tweeter doesn't sell the 8120, but they are fine with installing a unit you bring into them (that's what I did). My job was completed just 2 weeks ago so John will be very familiar with the install.

Good luck.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...st-system.html

Old 09-20-2008, 07:59 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Originally Posted by TINS
Here is the link to the thread I started to focus on this topic, I've listed fairly specific background and results. I notice that you are in Boston. By way of a reference I had the work done at Tweeter in Framingham. The installer there is John. He is a very meticulous guy that truly cares about the work he performs (increasingly uncommon these days). I recommend him highly. Tweeter doesn't sell the 8120, but they are fine with installing a unit you bring into them (that's what I did). My job was completed just 2 weeks ago so John will be very familiar with the install.

Good luck.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...st-system.html
How much did you end up spending if you don't mind me asking? Do you got pictures of the end results? Thanks for the info.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Not sure how to add pictures here. The cost from Tweeter (excludes the cost of the 8120) was $1800.00. That included a custom surround for the 8120 painted to match the dashboard (my interior is black)

Old 09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Nice work.

I did something similar with a mini pc and a touch screen.

A

Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
TMAC will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Purplxd
Nice work.

I did something similar with a mini pc and a touch screen.

A
Please post up some pictures Purplxd

Old 10-25-2008, 04:22 PM
terag is on a distinguished road
Anyone willing to do this install?

I would rather pay someone to perform this install and move the AC unit lower and install a double DIN unit.
I am in Alabama but would travel as I can go to Atlanta, Orldando or pretty much anywhere in TN, FL, or GA.

Just wanted to put it out there if anyone is willing to or knows someone who will do a professional job.

Thanks

2000 996 C2 CAB

Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by terag
I would rather pay someone to perform this install and move the AC unit lower and install a double DIN unit.
I am in Alabama but would travel as I can go to Atlanta, Orldando or pretty much anywhere in TN, FL, or GA.

Just wanted to put it out there if anyone is willing to or knows someone who will do a professional job.

Thanks

2000 996 C2 CAB
Exactly what I was thinking but for the greater Toronto Area.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:35 PM
jcortney is on a distinguished road
I just had an 8120 installed also and couldn't be happier with the unit. The sound quality with the Bose, as the OP stated, is at least 2X better, but still not outstanding.

My one disappointment is the quality of the Blue Tooth mic. Would you mind telling me where you installed yours and what result you got? Mine was on the "B" piller and that didn't work so we moved it to next to the rearview mirror and that sucks also.

Thanks,

Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I had the installer driil a hole in the over head unit centered and just in front of the IR recivers for the alarm. The mic works ok. I don't think that any under performance is a result of the mic but rather the engine noise. I have a B&B exhaust that is fairly loud. I haven't triied a differnt mic so I can't be sure.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:21 PM
0luke1 is on a distinguished road
This is the best thread I've ever seen on a forum board.

I'm a newbe to Porsche - am replacing my 2006 Caddy STS-V with a 2003 996 (umm, the test drive was nothing short of a life-changing event - it brought me right back to my days as a pilot in the Navy and I never thought I'd feel that way again - I had an anatomical reaction that I won't describe here, but suffice it to say that the car salesman was alarmed).

I'm not a newbe to audio - IMHO, anything Bose must go. My Caddy has a Bose system and it's the worst sounding garbage I've ever heard in anything remotely upscale auto-wise.

Last edited by 0luke1; 10-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
crxmanror is on a distinguished road
Looks good

Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Looks great! I would definately butch that job, so I'll stick with a portable nav unit

Old 02-14-2009, 09:00 AM
steveespo is on a distinguished road
Can any one post a wiring schematic/color code for the stock wiring? I have a 2001 C2 and want to install a Kenwood DNX 5120 but I dont want to cut up wires. Have the Eurospeed double DIN kit and it comes with harness plugs but i don't know what is what.
Help
Thanks, awesome post.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
cakasa will become famous soon enough
Bluetooth Mic

Originally Posted by jcortney
I just had an 8120 installed also and couldn't be happier with the unit. The sound quality with the Bose, as the OP stated, is at least 2X better, but still not outstanding.

My one disappointment is the quality of the Blue Tooth mic. Would you mind telling me where you installed yours and what result you got? Mine was on the "B" piller and that didn't work so we moved it to next to the rearview mirror and that sucks also.

Thanks,
I installed the Kenwood DDX 812 and I'm having the same issues with the mic's sound quality. I'm constantly being told by my conversation party that they can't understand what I'm saying. I've tried moving the mic and lowering the volume on both my phone and the Kenwood. But nothing I've done seems to improve the bluetooth sound.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steveespo
Can any one post a wiring schematic/color code for the stock wiring? I have a 2001 C2 and want to install a Kenwood DNX 5120 but I dont want to cut up wires. Have the Eurospeed double DIN kit and it comes with harness plugs but i don't know what is what.
Help
Thanks, awesome post.
Head over to www.renntech.org and ask Loren, he'll have it. If you are not a member there yet I highly recommend signing up and donating $20 to get access to schematics, TSB's, etc. This is a "must join" site for any pcar enthusiast. Your wiring is very easy, but depending on what type of factory stereo system is installed you'll either need to output high-level (speaker wires) to the stock amp, or low-level (rca wires) to the amp. There is also a remote turn on wire for the stock amp that must get +12v IIRC.

I believe the bose system in my 2002 is different than your 2001, does your have the bose? I output the high-level speaker leads to the factory amp, so it was 8 speaker wires + batt + ignition + ground + remote amp +12v.

I did not cut my wires, I just tapped into them with snap-on scotch lock wire connectors. Piece of cake.
You'll need some red and one or two blue- RadioShack is pricey but convenient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff