996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper

The project: Add lower chin spoiler to 2002 C2 standard bumper (08/01 and later facelift cars only).
Cost - $211 plus ship
Install time - about 1.5 hours
Difficulty – 4 out of 10 (IMO)
Tools – masking tape, screw gun, dremel
Optional tools- two bricks, two medium size Fedex boxes (for the ghetto-style garage install..)
Porsche part number: 996-505-986-92-01

I was trying to find a way to improve the aerodynamics of the OEM 02 C2 front bumper, without actually replacing the bumper.
I figured that adding a chin spoiler would give some added benefit, but where to find one?

Looked high and low for aftermarket add-on lips, but only found one from TA ($700+) and another from some ebay dude
but it was ugly as sin- and $600

I came across a thread at renntech where some pcar owners had bought some sort of inexpensive under-spoiler that
fit on very well. No one had specific info other than they bought it on Ebay germany and that they think it is an OEM part.

I worked with Ric at Suncoast (Florida dealership) and Jeff at Sunset (Oregon dealership) to try and track down the elusive part.
What I found was the 02+ GT3 front bumper lower-lip add on for about $200. It is black, poly, and screws on under the bumper.
Looking at pics it seemed that it was a very close geometry to the standard 02+ bumper and might fit with minor massaging.

So, I ordered one from Jeff at Sunset Imports of Oregon www.sunsetimports.com (would have ordered from Ric @ Suncoast,
but the shipping to West Coast was killer!!)
Ric - Suncoast Porsche www.e-partssales.com - Florida

Pics and steps below, let me know what you think-

Invoice and part number:

The part: 2002 GT3 lower lip

The mounting hardware:

The bumper before:
The

The bumper after:

So it is a very subtle enhancement, may help reduce under-car air a bit especially after the car is dropped 1".
If anyone else is keen on this idea I will post the rest of the DIY steps along with pics-
The fit / finish is very good and the lip sits totally straight from all angles. It may look a bit off in the 3/4 view, but it is totally straight.

EDIT: DIY is posted on page 2 of this thread!

Last edited by p0rsch3; 07-04-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I like it, good job man!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 AM
99carrera is on a distinguished road
Hey, that looks sweet....i like it

Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 AM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
nice job and great write up!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM
TheSpeedDemon is on a distinguished road
I am keen on knowing more about the install as it looks good.

I just recently installed the factory unit on my '99 C2 (Part Number: 505 986 02 G2X). Looking at this one it sticks out in front more than the one I have which basically sticks down.

A few questions (some of these might be answered with the DIY steps):

1. What is the orange line on the lip?
2. Did it not come with the plastic nuts and screws to hold it in place (mine did)?
3. Am I correct in that additional holes for the sides had to be drilled and setup?
4. No cutting was necessary?
5. Will this work on a '99 C2?
6. Is there any other lips that may actually stick out further or am I just being silly?

Thanks

BTW...when are you going to drop it?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:35 AM
PTarga is on a distinguished road
Thanks buddy. I am going to order this today. I see now that a wing without a splitter does not work so well at the track. Who knew Porsche was right?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road
Looks great!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
I like it too - I wonder if it would look ok on a Silver car and if it fits on a 99 C2

Also not sure about the screws....I wonder if rivets would be a better choice with washers on each side.....

Last edited by YoopsRacing; 07-03-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:31 AM
michael.s.under is on a distinguished road
Why cant I see the pics.......

Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 PM
slaaw is on a distinguished road
Nice job! Subtle, but effective.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I am keen on knowing more about the install as it looks good.

I just recently installed the factory unit on my '99 C2 (Part Number: 505 986 02 G2X). Looking at this one it sticks out in front more than the one I have which basically sticks down.

A few questions (some of these might be answered with the DIY steps):

1. What is the orange line on the lip?
2. Did it not come with the plastic nuts and screws to hold it in place (mine did)?
3. Am I correct in that additional holes for the sides had to be drilled and setup?
4. No cutting was necessary?
5. Will this work on a '99 C2?
6. Is there any other lips that may actually stick out further or am I just being silly?

Thanks

BTW...when are you going to drop it?
1- The orange line is double-stick body tape. I will cover that in my DIY. The orange is just the sticky cover and peels off.
2- Yes, you can use the plastic nuts but I was advised against using them. If this part gets a lot of downforce applied you would want to use screws or rivets.
3- Yes- 1 additional hole per side due to #4.- very minor.
4- I had to trim 1" off of each end as it slighty protruded into the fender well. Very minor, no other mods required.
5- No, this will only work on facelifted 996 cars (08/01 and later) - Actually I think there are several options for pre-facelifted cars. i'll see what I can find.
6- i'll see what I can find. and yes you are silly.

Planning on dropping it next week or so with some 'beta test' Agency Power coilovers from Vividracing.

I will post the full DIY in a bit-

Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
I like it too - I wonder if it would look ok on a Silver car and if it fits on a 99 C2

Also not sure about the screws....I wonder if rivets would be a better choice with washers on each side.....
nope, will not fit the 99's as far as I know. but there are other options avail IIRC.

Rivets would work fine, but remember- this part will get messed up eventually and rivets will be a pain to remove. but, rivets will not unscrew either... so it's really your choice.
I do advise using big fender washers to distribute the pressing force of the screws / rivets.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM
This is one of the lips available for pre-facelift 996's -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

google search for '996 lip spoiler' will find you a few more-
I'm wondering if the lower lip piece from the pre-facelift GT3 bumper will work for pre-facelift cars?
One of you will have to step up, order one and test it out.

BTW- Icemann, dont hate me for the multiple posts..

Last edited by p0rsch3; 07-03-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
Looks good. It adds a subtle touch to the front end. We are twins by the way!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
jstgermaine is on a distinguished road
For added lift cancelling in the front, I put the GT3 cup front splitter (much more pronounced than the factory GT3 Street unit) on my 99. It bolts on the car, under the front bumper and faces down, not forward. You can't see it from outside of the car, but at speeds of 75+ you can definately feel the difference.

I'll try to dig up the part number.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper