996tt Knowledge Base

BBI slave install....experienced input required

Old 02-26-2019, 07:02 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
BBI slave install....experienced input required

Getting close to installing a BBI clutch slave with a SRM master and a GT3 assist spring on my 2004 996tt. Before I get started was wondering if there are any incidentals I may need to complete the job. Would like to have everything on hand so as not to be hung up searching or waiting for something small. Would appreciate anyone with first hand experience doing this install to chime in.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Originally Posted by bushrat
Getting close to installing a BBI clutch slave with a SRM master and a GT3 assist spring on my 2004 996tt. Before I get started was wondering if there are any incidentals I may need to complete the job. Would like to have everything on hand so as not to be hung up searching or waiting for something small. Would appreciate anyone with first hand experience doing this install to chime in.
Nobody??

Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
I did it about 2 months ago and the only part that is not included in the BBI kit is a new cap for the front steering fluid reservoir. Since you convert from Pentosin to DOT4 it means you have to buy the same type of cap as the brake fluid reservoir.
The BBI kit does include the new (purple) clutch spring.

As far as instructions is concerned, I found the below post to be the most comprehensive one. It also links to several other valuable posts.
Hope this helps. One piece of advice, I took my time and spread it over 2 weekends. Working (blind) on top of the transmission sometimes becomes frustrating and will beat up your hands. It's good to take a break from it.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es-review.html

Old 04-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Great, thank you! Headed 60 miles south on Tuesday to a friends fully equipped shop to do this. Intending on having it done in a day along with an oil change as well as purging the brake lines with fresh fluid. We'll see.
Cheers

Old 04-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Forgot to ask.... are you happy with the results?

Old 04-26-2019, 03:15 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Advice: get a new slave pressure hose. The added pressure might expose a weak old fitting. Mine failed a few months after installing the new slave leaving me stranded, end fitting slipped right out of the hose. Updated OE hose is braided vs old rubber part.

Good luck

Old 04-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Will order one today, thank you

Old 04-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Seems to be a question as to which hose as there are several. Would you by chance have a part number? My car is a 2004

Old 04-26-2019, 05:24 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute

you will need to "Salvage" the connecting piece from your old hose ...

Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 PM
Will do, again, thank you. Same part number that I came up with, just wanted to be sure.
Regards

Old 04-26-2019, 05:40 PM
NP, btw getting that fitting out means destroying the old hose end fitting ... fitting itself can be damaged by a heavyhanded mechanic, or in case you want to keep your old hose its this little gem

good luck

Old 04-26-2019, 06:11 PM
Good to know. Been a mechanic since 1975 but things do break. Thanks

Old 04-27-2019, 02:33 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bushrat
Forgot to ask.... are you happy with the results?
I am. It's rather stiff and indeed provides a better feel. I recently moved my car from TX to OR (2,200 mile ride in 2 days), which was immediately after the fix. The new slave held up fine and I was able to live with the new and stiffer set up during this long trip.
Most probably I will only be able to notice the full potential once I put in a new clutch, which is a definite need in my car.

As a side note,

I though it would be a nice deterrent to keep my wife from using the car, but alas, the only change she had to make was not to wear heels anymore.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:42 AM
BBI slave Installed a few months ago along with a new oem master. Only problem was bleeding the system. Ende up buying a $20 tool which worked better than any bleeder I have ever used. End result is a totally different driving experience... is now a dream to drive.