997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dealer way overfilled my oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 AM
93oh is on a distinguished road
Dealer way overfilled my oil

Just had my Porsche in for service, the dealer overfills my oil by 7 quarts! 2x! They didn't know that there was a tank on the right side. Car smoked like nuts, got her home returned to dealer, less than 1 mile from office, they rechange oil find its too high. Finally, I call Mark at Formula Motorsports who guides the kid through changing my oil. (BTW Thank you!) I just hope nothings screwed up. Friggin 1900 miles on the damn car!

I assume the overfill will burn off hopefully?! It didn't smoke after I ran it aggressively up to 65 a few times under full throttle, yet smokes slightly on start up which she never ever did before!

Maybe I should buy the GTR? . . . (kidding of course)

Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 AM
eight0zero is on a distinguished road
That's ridiculous

Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
How the heck did they manage to get 7 extra quarters in there? Is there that much reserve space for extra oil?!?!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 AM
eight0zero is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by atomic80
How the heck did they manage to get 7 extra quarters in there? Is there that much reserve space for extra oil?!?!
how did you manage to get another "e" and "r" in "quarts" on accident and do it spelling a completely different word - "quarters" at the same time...

okay so im bored - im givin you a hard time

Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Same thing happened to me on my last car. Shouldn't be a problem for you.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Hernando is on a distinguished road
It won't be a problem. Don't worry about it. It will just finish burning off the excess.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Thats just stupid. They work in Porsche and don't know how to change oil....what losers that's why I do it myself.

I'm just going to take it in at 2yrs.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Porsh997TT is on a distinguished road
umm about the smoke, i see smoke every here and there? should that be a problem? sometimes it happenes when i kick down or when i start up the car!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Porsh997TT
umm about the smoke, i see smoke every here and there? should that be a problem? sometimes it happenes when i kick down or when i start up the car!
That is NOT unusual. On start up after the car has sat awhile a little blue smoke is common, because it is a flat six a small amount of oil can leak into the cylinders after shut down. This will burn off in a few seconds.

When you accelerate hard a little smoke could occur because you will suck any oil residue that is in the intake system that comes from the positive crankcase vent.

IOWs nothing to be alarmed about.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eight0zero
how did you manage to get another "e" and "r" in "quarts" on accident and do it spelling a completely different word - "quarters" at the same time...

okay so im bored - im givin you a hard time
Isn't it obvious that I wasn't awake when I typed that! I meant quarts!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 AM
BlackS4Terror is on a distinguished road
The only bad thing that could occur would be it clogging up your cats. I would report this to the GM, you might save that dealership the cost of a new motor.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I thought about the clogged cats issue as well but it would throw a code before lunching a motor. Sure the intact tract is nice and oily as are all sorts of friggin sensors.

I figure ill note the receipt and see of she acts up because the dealership would certainly end up with the car if that motor puked.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I couldn't believe it myself. Smoke was horrifying . . .

Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 93oh
I thought about the clogged cats issue as well but it would throw a code before lunching a motor. Sure the intact tract is nice and oily as are all sorts of friggin sensors.

I figure ill note the receipt and see of she acts up because the dealership would certainly end up with the car if that motor puked.
I'm not sure how many extra quarts of oil were added. Surely it wasn't 7. If it was, it would have been all over the shop floor. In any event this mistake should be noted on the shop work order for your future protection. The clown that doesn't know how to change oil should be handed a wash mitt and be demoted to lot boy on the dealer's used car lot.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 93oh
I couldn't believe it myself. Smoke was horrifying . . .
But we all still want to know how they got 7 extra quarts in there - I didn't think there was enough expansion capacity??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer way overfilled my oil