997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Self oil change voids Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Enilder
i have seen people pouring that to sewer and etc.
That thing is highly toxic, and it shouldn't be poured to sewer...

Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
DIY with instructions and pictures for a 996 on p-car.com.

http://p-car.com/996/diy/oilchange/

Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
GTTECHNIKER is on a distinguished road
It would wise to perform all services with dealership.
If the engine was to have internal failure
First question that is asked is how many ranges does it have? (how many times bounce off limiter)
<HOW limiter rev the off bounced was it times many>
Second, have all services been done? at this dealership? this especially helps if the engine blows up the moment it goes 100miles out of warranty.
It benefits the owner of the vehicle. The oil that is used in these engines is specifically engineered and designed for that engine, especially Turbo's think about it << 9 oil pumps internally>> making all that power out of a 3.6L
Anybody that complains about the price of an oil change for this special breed of car, then I recommend that this is not the car for your budget, you should stick with Honda's ( all due respect to Honda)<ALL Honda to respect due>

Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Do what you are comfortable doing. If you don't want to bleed the brakes, change the oil, etc, then don't.

FWIW, I think it's crazy to pay a dealer 500 bucks to change your oil and bleed your brakes.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Slick-Vic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BostonCarrera4S
DIY with instructions and pictures for a 996 on p-car.com.

http://p-car.com/996/diy/oilchange/
Hurry up and get them racks so I can do my oil changes at ur place!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Originally Posted by Slick-Vic
Hurry up and get them racks so I can do my oil changes at ur place!
Might get sport ramps?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 AM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I just had my first "service" at Porsche Roslyn. At 12K miles computer said it was time for service. For approx. $360 I received a basic oil change (new filter and oil), inspection sticker (it was due), a once over with Porsche diagnostics and they replaced a windshield wiper piece of plastic that fell off (covered under warranty). Lana the service manager was great and I was in and out of there in about 90 minutes. If your spending serious money to purchase a TT why not have it serviced by competent professionals ? For example, I'm an atty., but I would not defend myself in a criminal action. I guess, if your a real grease monkey (no insult intended - NOT mean't to be disparaging) and capable/competent, there is absolutely no reason why you can't service the TT yourself. However, I know of no 997TT owners in my neck of the woods who do this.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by tortesq1
For example, I'm an atty., but I would not defend myself in a criminal action.
As a doctor, I treat and diagnose myself and family all the time!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Seattle Sun,

Not knowing your specialty or whether you maintain a family practice, I'm sure you would agree that there are many conditions that require you to refer your family members elsewhere ? Plus would you not deem anything more than the diagnosis of a simple cold to be an unwaivable conflict of interest ? For example if your an MD psychiatrist I'm sure you would not treat and prescribe anti-depressants for your spouse or child, but refer them to an independent professional.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
JCS
JCS will become famous soon enough
Seattle Sun,

Not knowing your specialty or whether you maintain a family practice, I'm sure you would agree that there are many conditions that require you to refer your family members elsewhere ? Plus would you not deem anything more than the diagnosis of a simple cold to be an unwaivable conflict of interest ? For example if your an MD psychiatrist I'm sure you would not treat and prescribe anti-depressants for your spouse or child, but refer them to an independent professional.

Unless you need a Psychiatrist and anti-depressants at the mere thought of doing your own oil change ,this thread is starting to get a bit off topic . Lol

Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 PM
ggmr is on a distinguished road
i don't know about other parts of the nation, but here in southern california most of the dealership mechanics are merely parts replacers. without fail, each time i take my porsche in for warranty service, they screw something else up or fail to repair the problem the first time.

so doing my own oil change insures that the car gets the required quarts of oil, a replaced oil filter and new gaskets. it's not a safe bet that the dealership mechanic will do all three!!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Seattle Sun,

True but an oil change is like the common cold.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
There are many speed shops here in Southern California that offer great service without the dealer fees.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
GMG for one example will do oil changes in SoCal.