997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

WARNING: Dymag Wheels quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 AM
nick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GEE-BEE
You tell it like you own a set and are complaining that all the wheels that have been made are having problems...

I have a set on order and this post does not worry me...

Gee-Bee
+1 Also have a set on order and not worried.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
They have to give you a brand new wheels!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 AM
g-force is infamous around these parts
Put about 4000 miles on mine no problems.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dymagspiderrear.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	72422  
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
BradPete is infamous around these parts
I am very happy to hear there are so many that have things ok. I have not said every wheel is faulted.

I just know that I have 2 out of 4 busted, and this forum is to share experiences on different things.

So do not get offended by this, I really hoped I would have had perfect set up after 10 weeks of waiting.

Now I have been promised that this thing will be taken care of, but still today I do not know when or how.

I do business directly to Dymag UK 'cause there are no distributor in my country.

As some other have expressed, one could expect more quality of wheels this price level/ track experience.

As always, when something wrong happens, it is not 100 % of production. I will keep You updated how this is beeing handled.

The fact is this problem excists and one considering buying these wheels should note this.

I still love those wheels and after driving two days with original Turbo wheels I really miss them: the weight difference can be felt so easily, Porsche OEM feels like they are made of stone!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned
LA TECH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 360Forged
I'm sure they will resolve the issue for you. it's a hassle to deal with that type of thing, but as a wheel company as well these types of things do happen. Regardless of who you go with or how much you pay there will always be issues occasionally. It's how companies take care of the issue that is important. I personally love the Dymag wheels and have been a fan for years. I'm sure the problem will get solved and you'll be happy. GL.

Very good point. It's like anything we do in this business. Add some turbo's, Exhaust, intake suspension and you have spent a pretty penny on your car. The performance of the car has increased dramatically but unfortunately so has the potential for something to go wrong. Think about it why do high dollar race teams have an extra million dollar car sitting around?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
Dear Dymag customers,
<O</O
It is very regrettable that in some isolated instances some of our valued customers have experienced air leakage problems with our new Carbon Magnesium wheels. Dymag takes customer service and quality very seriously and we are continually reviewing and improving our product options. As you would expect, prior to product launch Dymag conducted a thorough and extensive test programme both within our test facility and with target race customers over a full season. However, it is clear that an intermittent air leakage problem does exist and our engineers are working hard to identify the cause and implement the solution. All customers that have been affected will be taken care of and should contact Dymag or its representatives accordingly. Dymag always has and always will stand behind its products
In a further development, Dymag is working with our importers Wheel Enhancement to put together a US based service centre, which will enable us to provide a faster response time to meet our US customer needs.
Best regards
Andy Goswell
CEO
Dymag Racing UK Ltd
<O></O>
Wheel Enhancement is the new US importer for Dymag wheels. We feel that Dymag makes an excellent quality, technologically advanced product. However there have been some questions raised that we feel are important to address and resolve. Because of this, representatives from our company visited Dymag’s factory in mid June to discuss some of the problems that have come up. As you see in Dymag’s response they are committed to identifying the problem and implementing a solution. We feel that developing a US based service center for Dymag wheels in our facility in the near future will offer much better service for repair and warranty needs. Please call or e-mail if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Wheel Enhancement

Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned
LA TECH is infamous around these parts
It sounds like you guys have figured out a solid solution. I know Bill at Wheel Enhancement has shown some true customer service. Those wheels look amazing and perform even better. I'm sure you guys will do great with the Dymag product.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:28 PM
nick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud of
I have a set of these coming from Oakley Design and can't wait to get them on my car!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Best looking wheel on the market. High price, but worth it if you do not have any issues.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i heard allot of guys facing same problem with DYMAG wat a nice set sorry to hear that :S

Old 07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
My original response was wiped out by the forum.
I have had my Dymags for 10 months. There has been an air leak issue with the right front from the beginning.
I lose approx. 10 lbs of tire pressure every 2 days.
It has been losely addressed by my wheels shop but with no success. I have to admit that I have been very lazy about addressing this issue.

The wheels are great. The improvement in handling and braking are outrageous. Let me say, they DO NOT make hp.
They are lightweight but there are other wheel manufacturers making high quality forged wheels for only just a tick heavier weights.

Also I've noticed that my wheels are turning yellow. The CF has developed a yellow tinge. For me this is not a problem because my GT3 is speed yellow.

I am getting ready to put back on the HRE 890R's I had before because enough with my tolerance and the air leak.
For example, wheels for the GT3/RS (19x9 and 19x12) made by Champion Motorsport are only at MOST one lb. heavier per wheel.
BBS will also be competetive with weights and quality design.

Thank you and I apologize for writing so much. Frankly I will shut the "F" up.

Ranger

Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
I also have Dymags and I don't have air leak problems I use them for track only ,handling and braking are better compared with OEM,paint quality is not what you expect in a 10k set of wheels,my cf was yellow since new.
The car looks very nice (I tried to post pics but my gallery is not working)

I have a friend with a 750 hp TT with Dymags he used this wheels on the track and 3 mag spokes broke during a track day and some others started to brake to...hmm scary

Last edited by luiscarlos; 07-10-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Wow, scary!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BradPete
Sorry to say, but after 10 weeks waiting for these new beautiful wheels I have faced problems:

First I had minor leak and I had to go back to the wheels shop. After careful investigation we noticed there was a leak between tyre and the wheel outside lip. This was cause probably by small lacquer "bubbles" left inside the lip. After removing these bubbles wheel/ tyre was ok with the pressure.

But only few day after when I was 150 miles away from home the tyre was totally empty after few hours of parking.... I was at local racetrack driving my Cup car, and therefore there were Michelin people helping, and after sinking the wheels/ tyre, it was obvious the wheels was leaking air between magnesium spokes and carbon rim. The leak was not small, I had to fill the tyre up to 3.0 bar and after 10 miles of driving it was 1.0 bar.... so I had terrible slow drive back home & I was quite furious: I sent right away email to Dymag factory in UK and I am at the moment still waiting for their response.

It really seems the wheel structure is not strong enough or there has been some quality problems in this wheel set. It was only in one wheel, but it is one wheel too much... I really hope they will solve this problem ASAP.

In fact we did group order of some 10 sets, and at the moment after some three weeks of use three of the guys are having leakage problem.

I will keep you updated about the process.

Still think tey are absolutely beautiful, but one could expect more quality, especially because they are not cheapest around.

Attached very poor quality mobile phone picture at the scene, shiny dots are air bubbles in wet rim.

Before everyone starts slamming the Dymag wheels lets point out that all multipiece wheels run the risk of air leakage.

Having run Dymags on several cars for many years including our race cars.
" We were the first race team to use Dymags" in competion on a Porsche in North America.

I can say that its a quality wheel and just like anything other multipiece race designed wheel they may leak air.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I use to have two peice centerline racing wheels back in the day, they would always leak unless you put a bead of silicone rubber sealant along the inside seam. Works like a champ.
Fabryce, can you pm me a package price on your suspension setup for my TT. I wanna have the same setup as 'brownan''s car. I know he used gt2 front control arms, do you guys do that.
C

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Dymag Wheels quality