997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

WARNING: Dymag Wheels quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:42 PM
BradPete is infamous around these parts
WARNING: Dymag Wheels quality

Sorry to say, but after 10 weeks waiting for these new beautiful wheels I have faced problems:

First I had minor leak and I had to go back to the wheels shop. After careful investigation we noticed there was a leak between tyre and the wheel outside lip. This was cause probably by small lacquer "bubbles" left inside the lip. After removing these bubbles wheel/ tyre was ok with the pressure.

But only few day after when I was 150 miles away from home the tyre was totally empty after few hours of parking.... I was at local racetrack driving my Cup car, and therefore there were Michelin people helping, and after sinking the wheels/ tyre, it was obvious the wheels was leaking air between magnesium spokes and carbon rim. The leak was not small, I had to fill the tyre up to 3.0 bar and after 10 miles of driving it was 1.0 bar.... so I had terrible slow drive back home & I was quite furious: I sent right away email to Dymag factory in UK and I am at the moment still waiting for their response.

It really seems the wheel structure is not strong enough or there has been some quality problems in this wheel set. It was only in one wheel, but it is one wheel too much... I really hope they will solve this problem ASAP.

In fact we did group order of some 10 sets, and at the moment after some three weeks of use three of the guys are having leakage problem.

I will keep you updated about the process.

Still think tey are absolutely beautiful, but one could expect more quality, especially because they are not cheapest around.

Attached very poor quality mobile phone picture at the scene, shiny dots are air bubbles in wet rim.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dymag wheel.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	72162  

Last edited by BradPete; 06-15-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've had mine for almost 2 months and no air leakage issues at all. I do have a few very small blemishes in the paint of the center section, but you really have to look hard to see them. Still probably something that shouldn't occur on a set of wheels costing what these cost.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Thanks for the valid insight from owner's point of view - I think this is very important, it is not only some typical "hear n' say" stuff. I hope Dymag will improve its products and provide required help for the current customers.

Originally Posted by BradPete
In fact we did group order of some 10 sets, and at the moment after some three weeks of use three of the guys are having leakage problem.
Okay, perhaps this problem is related only to the first series of these beautiful lightweight wheels but the majority of my friends who have these wheels have the same problem. Just an example of what this kind of nasty surprise can do; one of the guys bought and installed a set of Dymags and drove 1000 km to Nürburgring for a one week vacation trip just to notice the leakage with his new wheels...

Old 06-16-2008, 12:57 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
What keeps me from buying the dymag wheels is no one can fix the wheel in the United States. Drop 10k on a set of wheels and you have to send them to the UK for service if there's a problem that doesn't work for me. Its like buying a German car and having to send it back to Germany for service.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
There is simply no excuse for blemishes to show on these wheels, nevermind leakage issues.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 AM
kappa is infamous around these parts
it's a new style, i'm guessing problems will occur
they should have tested them more thoroughly though

Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about that. Why cant Dymag just ad a pound or two to each rim and make them more structurally sound? What’s a pound or two (if you’re not racing?)

Old 06-16-2008, 10:48 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Colin Chapman just rolled over!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
For $10,000, these wheels should be perfect in every way. I would expect leaking and a poor paint finish quality on $150 Korean wheels, not Dymags. Truly hard to beat BBS quality.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned
LA TECH is infamous around these parts
That is really unfortunate. Those wheels look and perform second to none but if they can't hold air they are not much help to anyone. I know the frustration of going to the track and not being able to drive. If your ever in another similar pinch a simple solution is to use silicone. You will have to dismount, silicone the leak from the inside, cure overnight and remount. This will only be of use to you if your driving two days back to back. But least you will salvage the second day of driving. Good Luck with this issue.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned
360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure they will resolve the issue for you. it's a hassle to deal with that type of thing, but as a wheel company as well these types of things do happen. Regardless of who you go with or how much you pay there will always be issues occasionally. It's how companies take care of the issue that is important. I personally love the Dymag wheels and have been a fan for years. I'm sure the problem will get solved and you'll be happy. GL.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 360Forged
I'm sure they will resolve the issue for you. it's a hassle to deal with that type of thing, but as a wheel company as well these types of things do happen. Regardless of who you go with or how much you pay there will always be issues occasionally. It's how companies take care of the issue that is important. I personally love the Dymag wheels and have been a fan for years. I'm sure the problem will get solved and you'll be happy. GL.
How are you sure of that? Hassle for 10k no thank you. Wheel repairs in the UK no thank you. Any thing else you wanted to add.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 AM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Dymag's

You tell it like you own a set and are complaining that all the wheels that have been made are having problems...

I have a set on order and this post does not worry me...

Gee-Bee

Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 AM
PIXC55 is infamous around these parts
HEY THINGS happen man, what can you do. Nothing or no one is perfect. Im sure it will be taken care of, I know at least 10 people that have dymags on their cars and never have had issues.You just have to be patient and not have a heart attack over it.HEY look at me im the king of getting nails on my sidewalls ,something i cant avoid. I just suckit up by another 400-600$ tire once a month and not cry about it.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
mchctsV is infamous around these parts
i had a set and never had any issues on them the paint quality might not be the best but remember these wheels are for the track

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Dymag Wheels quality