997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Porsh997TT is on a distinguished road
Extended warranty

My car just passed trhe 103 inspection by porsche to be able to get an extended warranty but i wanted to know if it is worth it to extend or not?

One of the things that got on my nevers was i had to take off my HRE rims in order to pass the 103 points inspection! then put them on again.

oh and also they got on my nerves about the TPMS, they rejected to replace them under warranty event though they are original porsche parts! but their claim was they are installed on a non-porsche rims!

Your input is appreciated before i go and pay the $1500 for the warranty and also on the TPMS.

Cheers

Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If they refused to help you installing your TPMS and you haven't given them the 1500 yet I would advise to keep your money in your account and look for another shop who can offer better customer service .

I understand that they feel that they are following certain rules but it could have been handled in a manner where going to service your car was a happy thing instead of a power struggle .

It may even be better to find a private mechanic for after your warranty ends. This way at least that individual might value your business enough so that you are satisfied.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 AM
yrralis1, thank you for your input. the tpms issue is, they are installed already but not active! dunno why, so i told them to replace them under warranty they said we can't cuz they are installed on after market wheels!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
If you have plans to sell it in the near future extend the warranty.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:20 AM
i'm planning to keep it for the next couple of years but you never know! i would only sell if i get freaking good deal on an LP640 or a 599 then its another story:-D

Old 07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
MJS NYC is on a distinguished road
YY, while I agree that he should just go to another shop that isnt going to break his ***** about the rims, he is located in Qatar. Presumably the options are limited there...

For $1,500 the extended warranty is an obvious choice, even more so if you plan on selling the car. You can spend that amount on your next service!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
noah677 is on a distinguished road
I didn't even know you could get an extended warranty thru porsche. I bought my new 08 tt in 11/07 and got the SAME answer as when I bought my new 04 tt in 2003---"porsche doesn't offer an extended warranty." I bought a extended warranty thru a co that they recommended (best I could do). I pointed out to them that when I trade my car in, they can do an inspection and THEN offer the buyer an extended PORSCHE warranty on my USED tt. I told them this absolutely made no sense.
So are they offering you a porsche extended warranty on a porsche you purchased new at that dealership or is this on a used porsche you bought used? I hope my question is clear cause I am feeling ripped off.

By the way on a porsche with tt, buy the warranty if porsche is offering it.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
They don't...extended warranties are dealership dependent...the only "extended warranty" is CPO certification, available only from an authorized dealership, offered only at the time of resale.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Porsh997tt -- I believe Noah is correct that porsche does not have an extended warranty. I have done it twice and both times it was through a dealership with another company . The first time it paid itself. The second time it did not. BOTH times it was a hassle to collect the payment because in order for a dealership to release the car it had to be paid.

The TPMS --if it is installed may take a bit of time to learn the system . On of the wheel shops might know that answer better than I .

MJS -- The customer service and choices may differ from place to place but he did buy an expensive car from them and how they handle his service may impact whether he buys other cars or even goes to service his car there after the warranty ends .

The interesting aspect about this minor TPMS and rims situation is that they list a rule which suits their agenda . He could also do the same if they promise him a part on a day and it isn;t there OR if he shows up and their employees are late to work. My guess is that they would hope that over a simple thing he might be flexible . He probably would . They could have been as well --even if they had to charge him a fee -it could have been presented in away where he didn;t feel as he described .

Car repairs are a relationship --between the technician and customer and mutual respect and understanding can make service a happy thing . He needs them but they need him too .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-08-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:33 AM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
I wouldnt pay that much

GEICO has an add on warranty for $100 a year which covers most major things and is catastrophic policy to me.

If you have GEICO call them and they will send you a brochure.

Cab

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I have noted Yrralis1 reply and agree BUT I would like to hear from Porsc997TT--ie new or used etc.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
well well, i passed by the show room today and asked about the extended warranty, it comes straight from porsche no other insurance/ warranty companies in the middle. you can keep on extending the warranty yearly however the car needs to pass an inspection "103 points inspection". cost is again $1500. i got a brochure from them, ill scan it later today.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Note that OP is from Qatar. It seems or is possible that true Porsche extended warranty *is* available in Qatar.

In the US, no such thing. Extended warranty offered by Porsche dealerships is from a third party. Cost around 5-6 k (???) for an additional 3 years IIRC, and the more you wait to get the warranty, the more the cost goes up. At least that's what I've been told.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by cannga
Note that OP is from Qatar. It seems or is possible that true Porsche extended warranty *is* available in Qatar.

In the US, no such thing. Extended warranty offered by Porsche dealerships is from a third party. Cost around 5-6 k (???) for an additional 3 years IIRC, and the more you wait to get the warranty, the more the cost goes up. At least that's what I've been told.
Of all the stuff a porsche dealer sells, the OP extended warranty has one of the highest mark ups . I got mine for 3800.00 which was less than the 4.5-5k they wanted. But they have more lee way. There have been a million consumer articles about the real cost of these policies and the large mark up, which has been labeled a consumer rip off. I am by no means confortable with a OP extended warranty but my dealer has dealt with this co for years (had the same co on my 04) However I still don't get why if I trade my car into a porsche dealer, when they sell it they can offer a PORSCHE extended warranty. I asked the higher ups at my dealer and they understood my point, said dealers have been pushing for one but nothing they can do about it until Porche central changes its policy

Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM
khaosai is on a distinguished road
Hi,

same is available here in Dubai direct from Porsche. It costs approx 6000 Dirhams which is approx 1600 USD. Its something i will consider as the end to the warranty gets close.

The 997 TT in the Middle East only comes with a 2 year warranty !. I believe its different in other parts of the world.

Rgds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty