997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuner reliability for a daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Clutches, brakes, tires, etc.(esp with track use).
I have not tracked my car . I have seen stock cars driven by those with a heavy foot face more wear and tear than a modded car driven maturely on the street . As for clutch -I have a stage 3 clutch . Tires --I have 5700 miles and still have many miles to go . Brakes are fine so far but I may upgrade them at some point to a more powerful Brembo version to accomodate the enormous speed potential .

Just because a car has 700 Hp does not mean it has to be used to the fullest on every drive . It's there for those moments when its most desireable . In fact I can think of one time where the extra power directly helped avoid a collision --that in itself washes away what might have been a huge expense with a less powerful car.

My car is only one example. My driving style and needs invole one person . Customizing a car for me meant tailoring it to my needs .

I draw no conclusions based on one example .

Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Brangeta is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by noah677
I still agree with Serpentine to a large extent. Every car I did mods on I wished I had not. I wish I had all the money I just threw away. From Callaway moded camaros to vettes to vipers. Admittedly these cars were not porsches. But once I pay 150+Large in cash, I am less apt to screw around. On the other hand IF you have thousands and thousands to throw away plus (usually) your warranty---well, I love to read about it. When I checked with sharkwerks about going above the ecu and muffler change, the price SKY ROCKETED and the assurances of reliabiltiy etc became noticably a BIT less certain. I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum who share Serpentene"s (and my) experiences. It does get embarassing to admit. On the callaway camaro their holler 400 just kind of melted into destruction. They had a ironclad warranty on the engine because it was supposed to be bullet proof and after pulling a lot of teeth they finally did replace the engine.(Of course I had to pay for removal and install)

I also have been following Yarralis1 experiences with great interest because he seems to be able to get the mods done and they work well. He is my mod "hero" (not being sarcastic)
Noah, I never post on here, just read, so it won't allow me to send you a PM--you have to have posted at least 15 times. But I have some questions about the Callaway Camaro you had at one time. Do you happen to have any pictures of your old car? Did it have the CamAerobody to be considered a C8, or just the SuperNatural engine?

What color was it and what year? I watch every time one of these goes up for sale, so I might even have pictures of your old car.

Any info would be cool to hear. I've been a fan of these cars for some time, and am looking towards purchasing one as soon as I can find a nice one for sale.

Send me an email at speedbbb at aol.com since it looks like PMs aren't an option.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Is it just me or do you "modded" guys seem to be taking this a little bit too personally?

What's wrong with just saying what you did and that for you it was a great experience?

When "The lady doth protest too much, methinks..." people will possibly assume you have a vested interest.

Seems like this board has become totally "infested" with salesman pushing their wares...sometimes it's hard to tell who is who...

I personally know people who have sworn by their mods and others who have had awful experiences...

I'm considering some mods myself now...and appreciate hearing about all experiences.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raclaims
Is it just me or do you "modded" guys seem to be taking this a little bit too personally?

What's wrong with just saying what you did and that for you it was a great experience?

When "The lady doth protest too much, methinks..." people will possibly assume you have a vested interest.

Seems like this board has become totally "infested" with salesman pushing their wares...sometimes it's hard to tell who is who...

I personally know people who have sworn by their mods and others who have had awful experiences...

I'm considering some mods myself now...and appreciate hearing about all experiences.
I'm not trying to make anything personal...but there is no need to make opinions and bad experiences into "facts" and "truths" to deter people from modifying...

"If you choose after market wheels --Those that applied for tire/wheel replacement no longer qualify. And the ET fitment is never precise. Your alignment will suffer. Your handling will suffer. You believe in your mind it's better because you paid a heavy premium and it's pretty...because it's unique. You picked it. Self-Mind games."

Last edited by bbywu; 08-23-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 AM
vig168 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by raclaims

+1,,,

Old 08-24-2008, 04:49 AM
turbo498 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by robertp
  • Flash
  • Exhaust
  • Plenum
  • Most of the tuners on this board are great

When reffering to exhaust.. do you mean the mufflers or included with headers ? Will you have HP gains if you just place the mufflers alone ?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Well, I modified my GT3RS:

-Cage
-Lightweight seats
-6 pt harnesses
-Fire extinguisher
-Flash
-Lightweight wheels and race tires
-New exhaust

Since I intend to do a great deal of track days, would you argue that these are stupid modifications? They will reduce the 'resale' value of my car - but why the f*ck do I own a car like this without using it? Life is too short.

My experience with turbo mods are extensive and I have never had a bad experience.

And a note for eclou - I don't think it is appropriate to post political opinions on this board. Oh yes, I have great freedom now under Bush - "50% tax bracket, my phones can be tapped at will by the Feds, my medical practice is untenable because of Federal regulations, and am treating thousands of returning brave soldiers who have traumatic brain injury for a war, what was that rationale again? oh yeah, to capture Saddam Hussein."

-Gerry

07 GT3 RS Clubsport

Sold:
'04 GT3
'05 GT3
'08 TT - modded to ~700 bhp
'07 TT
'02 TT X50
IMSA GTS-1 Turbo
2 993 Cup cars
'93 RSA
'92 911 Turb0 S2 (1 of 25)
'80 SC

Old 08-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Like I said earlier...really want to say something...but I hold my tongue
let's just remember the oval office will have new occupant soon

Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
And a note for eclou - I don't think it is appropriate to post political opinions on this board. Oh yes, I have great freedom now under Bush - "50% tax bracket, my phones can be tapped at will by the Feds, my medical practice is untenable because of Federal regulations, and am treating thousands of returning brave soldiers who have traumatic brain injury for a war, what was that rationale again? oh yeah, to capture Saddam Hussein."
It's a public board...it's no worse than a bumper sticker.

On another note...did you notice a difference with your re-flash? Never driven a non turbo 911 with a ECU mod.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:07 AM
SoCalCFP is on a distinguished road
you think you pay taxes now, wait until obama gets in.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2

-Gerry

Gerry I missed this somehow for the past 5 months. Medicine is about to be "reformed" for good. Have your "Hopes" been fulfilled? Don't think I'm going to let you slide on this.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Serpentene
My last car was an Audi. Tuned it to the max. Suspension mods over time became a serious headache. Drive shaft was replaced twice ,,had coilover suspension rattled like an old domestic... tires had uneven wear even after wheels aligned several times. High flow catalyst constantly throwing CELs;gasket leaks...turbo DV replaced every week; too many other headaches to bore you with..

was fun while it lasted but once a part is changed it doesn't end. Something else always needs added to balance the last mod...and in the end if you eventually want to sell the car or trade-in it hurts the resale value significantly. Nobody wants your Frankenstein and many wouldn't know how to drive it respectfully any way-- with the exception of the fellow enthusiast like yourself..

So it's a huge monetary loss if you decide to sell.

Just so I'm honest with you I spent $95,000 on top of the $45,000 I paid for the car new before modding. $140K give or take...now I could have taken that cash and coupled with the other $140K I spent on the Turbo and well you get the drift...

I think if you have a serious amount of cash to devote to not only parts replacement but the extra care needed in consistently maintaining (much much more maintenance than stock parts) the vehicle and finding a reputable tuner/mechanic (every one is a wannabe wrench good luck) and prepared to consistently run into quirks...mechanical/electrical/ CEL light DTC, and you have a DD vehicle (don't even try using your modified car as a daily driver) and don't expect the longevity of parts, consider all mods at half-life first day of install vs. stockers; then sure it's a lot of fun and for a short while very addicting and creative and EXPENSIVE.

So I understand the bug all too well.

But...if you think about all the $$cash$$ spent over time -- that same cash can be collecting interest until such time your brand new warranteed fully supported GT2 order has arrived for pick up.

Something to think about... I hope I don't offend any one here. Very interested in modified cars; albeit now from a far, but I know through experience what sounds awesome in theory isn't always unfortunately the real life experience. Not long term any way. Be educated. Be prepared. Most of all be happy with your decisions and enjoy.

Good Luck...
Serpentene, brother, you hit the nail on the head! I've modded every, single high performance car I've ever had, SWORE I would NOT mod my '09 Turbo, and the very FIRST mod I did (Bilstein PSS10's) I've already experienced problems!!! My thought is that if you don't live within 50 or so miles of a top-tier tuner, you are really taking a risk!!! I, personally, will be adding an exhaust and that's it!!! Will NOT be doing a flash, or playing with the guts of the engine in any way, shape, or form! (Am sure there are TONS of folks who disagree with me...just my 10 cents worth)! The damn turbo is a monster/blast-of-a-car in stock trim anyways...so why mess with it???<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yrralis1
JZR -- One year and 5700 miles with ZERO engine issues to date .

Serpantene -- It's not a rational decision to buy and modify a Turbo but it has been an experience that I could not imagine having lived without .
Damn, Larry, I need to make a trip to Miami in the spring and drive that turbo of yours to see what driving a MONSTER is like!!! Gotta see what all the hype is about!!! ha!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
17,000 on the clock

@50 miles - HRE P40 wheels
@2500 miles - Cargraphic Stage II powerkit (exhaust + air-filter + ECU remap)
@7500 miles - Bilstein/GMG suspension

Issues: none, not even a rattle.

Powerkit quality way better than stock (especially the amazing smooth remap), suspension ideal for street use and again an upgrade on stock quality. Simply perfect (even better to drive than a PDK 997.2 Turbo)

Last edited by Alex_997TT; 01-15-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
My DD and 18k miles and car is perfect. For about $10k for p40's, softronic and exhaust you can transform the car. Almost the price of some carbon bits . Given what we pay for these cars, why not spend a little more and make it so much better. I can flash back to stock and put my original wheels back on if I decide to sell. Damptronics next month. BTW, my wheel/tire porsche warranty covers aftermkt wheels and there are no fitment issue on p40's.