997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuner reliability for a daily driver

Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Tuner reliability for a daily driver

I have searched and searched the forums and can't seem to find any clear answers from owners with mods. So I am curious if those with EVO, AWE mods could give me an idea as to how their car has been post modification?
Feel free to PM as I am not looking to turn this into a pissing contest. I am not looking for my tuner is better then your tuner answers, but specifics about daily driving issues like idle, check engine lights, return trips to dealers for various stuff, excess oil, etc...
My last modified car was a nightmare, I am about to go stage 4 or 5 with the 997TT and the car is brand new.
As they say, misery loves company
Lastly, feel free to post an opinion as to what you would do, which tuner and why (just keep it intelligent).
TIA,
JZ

Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
  • Flash
  • Exhaust
  • Plenum
  • Most of the tuners on this board are great

Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
My last car was an Audi. Tuned it to the max. Suspension mods over time became a serious headache. Drive shaft was replaced twice ,,had coilover suspension rattled like an old domestic... tires had uneven wear even after wheels aligned several times. High flow catalyst constantly throwing CELs;gasket leaks...turbo DV replaced every week; too many other headaches to bore you with..

was fun while it lasted but once a part is changed it doesn't end. Something else always needs added to balance the last mod...and in the end if you eventually want to sell the car or trade-in it hurts the resale value significantly. Nobody wants your Frankenstein and many wouldn't know how to drive it respectfully any way-- with the exception of the fellow enthusiast like yourself..

So it's a huge monetary loss if you decide to sell.

Just so I'm honest with you I spent $95,000 on top of the $45,000 I paid for the car new before modding. $140K give or take...now I could have taken that cash and coupled with the other $140K I spent on the Turbo and well you get the drift...

I think if you have a serious amount of cash to devote to not only parts replacement but the extra care needed in consistently maintaining (much much more maintenance than stock parts) the vehicle and finding a reputable tuner/mechanic (every one is a wannabe wrench good luck) and prepared to consistently run into quirks...mechanical/electrical/ CEL light DTC, and you have a DD vehicle (don't even try using your modified car as a daily driver) and don't expect the longevity of parts, consider all mods at half-life first day of install vs. stockers; then sure it's a lot of fun and for a short while very addicting and creative and EXPENSIVE.

So I understand the bug all too well.

But...if you think about all the $$cash$$ spent over time -- that same cash can be collecting interest until such time your brand new warranteed fully supported GT2 order has arrived for pick up.

Something to think about... I hope I don't offend any one here. Very interested in modified cars; albeit now from a far, but I know through experience what sounds awesome in theory isn't always unfortunately the real life experience. Not long term any way. Be educated. Be prepared. Most of all be happy with your decisions and enjoy.

Good Luck...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
noah677 is on a distinguished road
Serpentene-----Great post

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
JZR -- One year and 5700 miles with ZERO engine issues to date .

Serpantene -- It's not a rational decision to buy and modify a Turbo but it has been an experience that I could not imagine having lived without .

Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Serpentene
I think if you have a serious amount of cash to devote to not only parts replacement but the extra care needed in consistently maintaining (much much more maintenance than stock parts) the vehicle and finding a reputable tuner/mechanic (every one is a wannabe wrench good luck) and prepared to consistently run into quirks...mechanical/electrical/ CEL light DTC, and you have a DD vehicle (don't even try using your modified car as a daily driver) and don't expect the longevity of parts, consider all mods at half-life first day of install vs. stockers; then sure it's a lot of fun and for a short while very addicting and creative and EXPENSIVE.
I disagree with this. You will be hard pressed to find a TT owner who has modified their car with a standard package (exhaust, chip, turbo) who needs to "consistently maintain" or "consistently run into quirks." The GT1 engine platform is extremely durable, and has proven time and time again to be more than capable of high HP modifications without internal rebuilds or significant change in maintinence. This is the benefit of the engine platform for the the turbo and GT2s.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I have had both the AWE/GIAC stage II kit and now the 700 kit. Both have been an improvement from stock in every way, including cold start, throttle tip in, lag, part throttle and full throttle drivability, commuting, stop-n-go traffic, idle stability. I have modded many cars and have never experienced aftermarket tuning that was better than stock until now. If Porsche had produced a 600 and 700 hp variant of the TT from the factory, they would have been hard pressed to match what AWE/GIAC has done.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
noah677 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bbywu
I disagree with this. You will be hard pressed to find a TT owner who has modified their car with a standard package (exhaust, chip, turbo) who needs to "consistently maintain" or "consistently run into quirks." The GT1 engine platform is extremely durable, and has proven time and time again to be more than capable of high HP modifications without internal rebuilds or significant change in maintinence. This is the benefit of the engine platform for the the turbo and GT2s.
I doubt Spentene was just talking about the muffler, ecu flash on the tt, which as best I have been able to determine, carries no penalty unless the driver decides to become super aggressive. If one goes beyond the above then the prices rockets to 30k+++ and that is when the potential problems really start. My experiences have been similar to Spentene and I have no desire to go there ever again. The ups and downs + money were terrible.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
I suspect I've had more modded cars than anyone here.

If you stick with stage 1 chip and exhaust, you will not have any problems. The car will be docile, but quicker than stock.

Aim for 800 hp or more and you may start to have issues.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Agree 100%

Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Gentlemen, I reiterate. I fully understand and relate to the passions and desire for modification. Been there done that.

It does indeed reap short term rewards and is a hell of a lot of fun.

Just look at the forum sponsorship. Business is good and it's keeping this
web site online. Thank you!

I'm just playing devil's advocate and truthful for those few people who may not know what they're getting into. Pandora's box.

If one can afford the upkeep as most of you probably can then bless you and enjoy.

Keep in mind this is 2008. The 997 has only been with us a short while.
Those of you still loving your 700HP TT in 2012 can happily report to me.

I would bet most of you by this time or sooner will be driving something else.

This is fine. But those who decide to keep their rides long term who modified their rides will expect more servicing because of these modifications than those with out I can assure you.

Expect little to no warranty service. Expect Porsche to shun you and/or blame any legitimacy claims non-warranted because of your modifications.

If you choose after market wheels --Those that applied for tire/wheel replacement no longer qualify. And the ET fitment is never precise. Your alignment will suffer. Your handling will suffer. You believe in your mind it's better because you paid a heavy premium and it's pretty...because it's unique. You picked it. Self-Mind games.

Those that use spacers are putting undue stress on their axels.

These are facts gentlemen. I'm not bashing. I'm stating truisms in response to a question from personal experiences.

And...it does hurt the resale value of the vehicle. Fact.

Mod away. Race your car. Fix and repair. trade-in. Buy two or three.
If you can afford this. You qualify to do as you please.

For those that consider this car to be a life long goal and especially those who have achieved this goal and must move on to paying home mortgages; please keep your pride and joy in a manner to which the manufacturer intended.

It is the mark of engineering excellence. I believe Porsche engineers qualify to build their cars better than any one else does and put quite a bit of thought into their flagship six figure sports car.

If 700HP was the Porsche intention, it would not have been developed as a kit via after market tuners I can assure you.

Look forward to seeing you on the road .. not on side of it.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Check out BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach, CA. See my pics and vids link in my signature to see my BBI Stage II. Here's a rundown of what I got:

Exhaust
ECU
Plenum
Underdrive Pulley
Sachs Clutch + LWFW
HRE P43

I also got some comsmetic stuff - custom painted Y-Pipe and airbox, carbon fiber door sills illuminated, floor mats, etc.

I trust Betim at BBI. They have mofidied many Audis as well. They even did Rampage Jackson's Audi R8.

Check them out at bbiautosport.com.

Good luck with the mods!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Debunking these arguments ...

Serpantene --
You claim the following in absolute statements -- You "assure" the forum without supplying evidence to back it ....

1) "those who decide to keep their rides long term who modified their rides will expect more servicing because of these modifications than those with out I can assure you"

2)"Expect little to no warranty service"

3) "If you choose after market wheels --Those that applied for tire/wheel replacement no longer qualify. And the ET fitment is never precise. Your alignment will suffer. Your handling will suffer"

4) "If 700HP was the Porsche intention, it would not have been developed as a kit via after market tuners I can assure you."

Lets open "pandoras box"

1) This forum has a modified cars of all makes and consists of models which are old and new . Examples can be cited with BOTH stock and modified cars which have created warranty obstacles . Only one counterexample makes your (absolute) statement false . Here's one of several "stock" cars without mods causing "more service" ...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo/128150-hopefully-not-lemon.html

2) There have been MANY posts sharing how the tuners have stood behind their work .

3) The OEM wheel is a BBS wheel . It is NOT a Porsche wheel .

4) Only Porsche knows why they didn't build the 700 Hp car . I can speculate . I won't . So can you . Speculation is NOT factual though nor is it proof to validate your argument .

Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Ruf seems to be an example where $$ spent are not necessarily lost on resale.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
The question presented was daily driving a modded Turbo.

I presented my view points and my opinions through my own experiences.

You're right. Let me conclude with this disclaimer.

"The opinions presented are solely expressed through its author and does not necessarily represent nor misrepresent the opinions of other members or sponsors of this forum."

Drive in good health. Next topic.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuner reliability for a daily driver